The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bad news for you Yanks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
For decades, the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) has been the sole U.S. outlet for many British television series and other programs, including two of my favorites -- the BBC World News and Tony Blair's weekly Q&A jousts with the House of Commons. PBS draws a considerably smaller, more cultured audience than the major network and cable outlets which veer towards sitcoms, crime and reality shows. PBS, BBCA and Judge Dread (Simon Cowell) notwithstanding, British and other "foreign" accents tend to be the exception rather than the rule on US television. Perhaps Derren could start with a PBS "pledge week" special followed by a crossover. Smile
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
I agree that PBS will take Brit shows and show them in the U.S. Darren B. and PBS don't feel like a good mix to me though. He would do better to go more commercial/mainstream and get FOX to remake his shows in the U.S.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
You're all missing the point...It's the Scottish accent the americans love (I'm sure Shrink will agree) Look at Sean Connery, Willy(the janitor in The Simpsons), Sheena Easton.... Smile just thought I'd stir it a bit Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Darko Dojin
View Profile
Regular user
DGAF
163 Posts

Profile of Darko Dojin
Sheena Easton is Scottish??? She has the most mangled accent I've ever heard. Smile
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
No, Jon's still right. Mike Myers did Shrek. Moreover, it's film and we're talking about TV--they're different things.

To Americans, having a star who speaks with a foreign accent, even if it's British, just seems foreign. Even foreign actors tend to lend an American feel to their performances for US TV. Musicians know this too and tend to try to sound "American" when releasing albums here.

However, this is all irrelevant. What's going to happen if Brown waits a few years is someone, an American, is going to step up to the plate and conquer the market for that niche. I don't think it'll be Gerry McCambridge, but I can already see people like him are working towards it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bad news for you Yanks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL