The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best source to learn card productions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I've owned Nielson cards for years but only recently actually unwrapped them and started playing with them around the house. I can produce them slowly and awkwardly one at a time from the b**k p**m (don't know how much I can say on the posting). I want to find out if I'm doing it right and it's just going to take a lot more practice before putting it in my stage act OR if I'm not doing it right and it's still going to take a lot more practice before putting it in my stage act. So if anyone can suggest a book with good diagrams/pictures or video /DVD that walks someone through this, I would appreciate it.
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
Here's the first of a string of recommendations you're gonna get for .............. McBride.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Jeff Sheridan
Tarbell Course in Magic
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Thank you. I will look into both.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2871 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
The Routined Manipulation series by Lewis Ganson.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi:

I first learned from the book, "Routined Manipulation" but I think there are a number of video sources that are better. I think this is one case where video/DVD instruction is superior to learning from a book.

McBride's stuff is excellent. He is one of the best teachers I've ever seen.

I hope this helps you.

Ron
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Thanks for the help. I just ordered the McBride Art of Card Manipulation Vol. 2. Should have it in a week.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-11-02 12:28, RJE wrote:
Thanks for the help. I just ordered the McBride Art of Card Manipulation Vol. 2. Should have it in a week.

The McBride dvd's are excellent. However, Jeff Sheridan's dvd on card manipulations was more beneficial to me than McBride's Vol. 2.
Jim
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of kipling100
I would recommend Sheridan's vol 2 after studying McBride's set just because McBride is more thorough with his explanations. Sheridan's dvd has a few productions and nuances that are great though, but he may go too fast if you're just starting out.

Dennis
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
OK, there goes the budget, I've also ordered Jeff Sheridan's Volume 2 as well. Looking forward to learning from the 2 Jeff's! Smile

Thanks for the input!
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Cancel you sheridan dvds if possible

Card manips take time.

Their is more than enough material on the 2 nd McBride dvd
go with vol 1 first he teaches the correct way to do the back palm, the pivot and the easier perfect production these are the foundation for vol 2.

Jeff sheridan is a great manipulator- even better than McBride when it comes to cards but he is a shocking teacher.

go with the 3 McBrides first, then if they are not enough go with the sheridans.

No offence to sheridan great performer but his teaching ability on the DVDs are not that good.

David
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Ok just get the Jeff McBride set. Then grow from there and I would HIGHLY RECOMAND the whole set. Not just volume 2. You will be in the dark otherwise if your starting out. Oh and Jeff Sheridans not a bad DvD to have so don worry about it. Then I hurd the Romaine DVD was good but not sure.
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Thanks for the advice icentertainment, but I think I'll stay with the Sheridan order. Even if it is not a great teaching aide, it might still prove a valuable resource and a nice addition to the private library.

Wikiro, thanks for the tip about McBride Vol 1. I have a friend who has that in VHS and I know I can access it through trade or otherwise. (To just say I'll borrow it may or may not cause some moral dilemas over copyrights etc...)

Again, to all that helped, thank-you. I'm looking forward to someday adding cards to my dove act. RJE
magicjon33
View Profile
New user
missouri
3 Posts

Profile of magicjon33
What isa back palm?? als I wanna do is a back palm vanish just the technique please email me at: Paintman_jon33@hotmail.com
the best magic is simple magic
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Get Mc Bride's Manipulation Without Tears and then get the Card Manipulation video series Vol. 1-3.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best source to learn card productions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL