The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How Hard is Dice Stacking? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Danny, I always stop the cup by swinging to the left. I have tried it to the right and also have no luck.

Greg, I watched the Jim Z video and it shows that you shouldn't stop on the immediate pick-up of the last dice, but rather to continue for a while, making sure the dice reaches the top of the cup along with the other dice.

Frank Starsini has kindly offered me a plastic cup to try with. I am not sure if this will make any difference, but I am willing to try.

So far I have been trying for a month with no luck. I will post back with more information as soon as I receive the cup.

Chris
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Chris,
I just started playing with this myself. I finally added a hard top to my street table because it had a raised edge to it. Saved me a lot of stooping Smile

Anyway, I haven't really gotten it down yet, but from what I can tell so far, during the pickups and swinging the cup is tilted and "rocks" back and forth, never quite vertical. I think it's the centrifugal force and this tilt that keeps the dice running together under the cup. The final stop works better (for me anyway) if the cup is flat with the surface, so my last swing slides flush on the table. I'm using a coffee mug right now and it makes quite a racket. I can hear it go quiet when I know they're stacked and sliding in unison.

Good luck!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Dice stacking with a coffee mug??? That's cool. I've never heard of that. I'll have to give it a try.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It's turning out to be a bit heavy. My wrist and shoulder are sore this morning.

I've downgraded to a cheap Yahtzee cup, and it seems to work just as well, maybe better.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2004-12-09 12:59, Dave VanVranken revealed: My wrist and shoulder are sore this morning.

Caution - Man injured by stacking dice - Caution!!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You shoulda heard my dog yelp when she was hit with a flying die. I just hope PETA isn't reading this...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I learned on the floor so I didn't have to bend down to pick 'em up. (Linoleum floor).

Gads, from the first post to now you gotta be stackin?

Posted: Dec 9, 2004 7:47pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YO tabbbbb...wasssut white stuff in yer avatar? Salt?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I've been watching these posts for a long time. Tried 'em myself only this week after getting my Charlie Frye video. I only have a limited practice time so I don't keep the family awake at nights. Considering I don't have a face to face tutor I don't feel I'm doing that bad really..

Yeah Tab, what is that stuff? We don't seem to get any of it here in the desert.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Dave,

Totally off topic but what did you think of Charlie's video?

Both volumes 1&2 are in my top 5 of best money I have ever spent on a DVD.

Charlie is just the best (IMHO). I was also not surprised to find out that he was a busker. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Fry's stuff is sooooo practical
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2004-12-09 19:47, Pete Biro asks: YO tabbbbb...wasssut white stuff in yer avatar? Salt?

Haha!!! Smile It's last winter's first snow up on the hill behind the studio with more coming on Saturday night. Don't you think I look like Santa Claus??? Have you all been good boys this year??? I know you have!! Do you all want a new dice cup for Christmas???

-=tabman

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-12-09 20:59, Danny Hustle wrote:
Hi Dave,

Totaly off topic but what did you think of Charlie's video?

Both volumes 1&2 are in my top 5 of best money I have ever spent on a DVD.

Charlie is just the best (IMHO). I was also not surprised to find out that he was a busker. Smile

Best,

Dan-

I like it! Both of them! It came as a surprise when I saw his return address was just down the road from me. Of all my videos, my wife enjoys watching his the best. And keeping her happy is a good thing, so I can buy more stuff!

If all goes well, I'll be taking my show "on the road" to Copenhagen early next summer. In the words of the great Biro... "Stay Tooned!"
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2004-12-09 22:39, Dave VanVranken wrote:
If all goes well, I'll be taking my show "on the road" to Copenhagen early next summer.

That's great DV!! Have a super fun trip and take your laptop so you can keep us posted on events as they trasnpire!!

-=tabman

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Can dice be stacked with a conical cup? Just curious.

BTW Frank's cups look soooo nice. I might have to break piggy open one of these days . . .

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Come on..... break it open. Smile
That's what they're there for!!!

And you can stack on one of tabman's tables.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Even Santa knows that Frank Starsini has the best Dice Cups, Dice and supplies for dice stacking men and women too. It's a little known fact that Frank made the red interior of his new cup in honor of Santa's red suit!!!

Ho ho ho!!!

-=tabman

PS: You can stack dice and even concrete blocks on a tabman table!!!

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-11-09 13:22, Frank Starsini wrote:
Here's my latest design for dice stacking cups.
Actually the design is the same. New color scheme.

I made the interior of red leather, black leather outside, and I ordered un-cancelled white precision dice to go with the cups.

Makes for a very pretty cup with nice color contrast.

CLICK

I don't know if it's your website (which looked really good, btw) or the computer hookup here, but when I clicked on your link, the magic Café site close and your site open with no way to get back. I had to retype the address and work my way back here. No big thing, but did this happen to anyone else? Smile

Quote:
On 2004-11-18 02:43, Frank Starsini wrote:
And don't forget to try it with just 2 dice
... then 3
... then 4

Can anybody do five? That would be a good tie-in with Yahtzee. Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
I don't know if it's your website (which looked really good, btw) or the computer hookup here, but when I clicked on your link, the magic Café site close and your site open with no way to get back. I had to retype the address and work my way back here. No big thing, but did this happen to anyone else?

The link worked fine for me. Of course, I use Mozilla Firefox (Geek pride. Chest puffed out. General feeling of superiority, etc.)

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-12-11 13:10, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
"I don't know if it's your website (which looked really good, btw) or the computer hookup here, but when I clicked on your link, the magic Café site close and your site open with no way to get back. I had to retype the address and work my way back here. No big thing, but did this happen to anyone else? "

The link worked fine for me. Of course, I use Mozilla Firefox (Geek pride. Chest puffed out. General feeling of superiority, etc.)

John

Hey! You're a geek, just like the rest of us! Get over it!:smile:
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Does anyone have any experience with the "sanded" dice vs. the "polished" dice? I was wondering if the added friction of the sanded dice helped or hindered stacking?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How Hard is Dice Stacking? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL