The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Darren Romeo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Just saw on CNN that Darren Romeo has been named "Magician of the Year". Don't know which organization did it, but I thought I'd mention it.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Cheryl
View Profile
New user
Houston,Texas
12 Posts

Profile of Cheryl
I think it was the Magic Castle that named him Magician of the Year. Oh, well.
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=114&sid=317891
You don't chose magic...magic chooses you!
~Siegfried
"To rise above what seems impossible,one must first believe"
~Siegfried & Roy
"Magic is an illusion. Courage is real."
MikeMitchellMagic
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of MikeMitchellMagic
I've been lurking on this site for a while, never registered. When I read this post, I registered because I finally have something to write.

The Magic Castle/Academy of Magical Arts named Romeo Magician of the Year. I'm not sure why except they want to help boost this guys career. I saw him this summer in Branson. I was not impressed with the magic or his singing. He seemed like a nice person and you really liked him as a performer. It's a good thing because the rest wasn't impressive but, then again, it's Branson not Vegas.

I understand that the Magic Castle only gives these awards to people who are members. That means if you are a professional magician and not a member of their elite group, you are not considered for their awards. I think that's a real injustice to any professional who doesn't see the advantage of being a member of the Castle or doesn't get to Hollywood to visit the Castle and have the chance to visit the place.

These awards might actually mean more to people if they weren't limited to only a select few performers.

That's just my opinion and I'm sure there are many who don't agree. I'm not looking to start a fight, just express my opinion.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hey Mike,

I kind of agree with you. I live fairly close to the castle (40 min drive) and have been there many times, though I am not a member. Truthfully I have seen great performances there, and I have seen some hacks too. The same could be said I think, for any group in any profession.

The castle's exclusivity lends something special to it. If I could walk in there any time I wanted, I would probably get tired of it. Now that place is also rich in history and tradition and it is a museum in its' own right.

I guess my point is that like any small club, you pick your leaders and winners from within your own club. I don't see a problem with that as long as it is well stated, that this winner is from this group only, and htere may be better performers not located here.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MikeMitchellMagic
View Profile

0 Posts

That's a good point Cliff. I think the awards should clarify that in some way. Right now it seems like whoever the winner is IS the Big Cheese. In reality, a small group of people choose a winner from another small group of people.

I've only been to the Castle twice and both times I had a really great time.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
The Siegfried & Roy prodigy......how much did he pay to obtain such a distinction? Pappa S&R must of footed that bill.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Actually, Irene Larsen discovered Darren Romeo and told Siegried and Roy about him.

They like what they saw... a talented, modern performer and took him under their wings.

He has a manager, Dale Hindman, and they are working hard at building his act and his experience.

I think Romeo is a wise choice to be supporting. I have seen him perform in a number of venues and he really has 'THAT SOMETHING' ... Charisma ... that so many performers WISH they had.

He is on the up and the Magic Castle's award is something that will help him in his career.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MikeMitchellMagic
View Profile

0 Posts

And it doesn't hurt that Dale Hindman is also on the Board of the Magic Castle and Irene Larsen is one of the owners! Would he have received the award if he didn't have so many connections????????
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Remember, It's not who you know, but who knows you.

Frankly, YES, I can't think of anyone else. Do you have any suggestions to anyone making an impact?
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
I have seen both and I enjoyed The Spencers much more than Darren Romeo. Romeo is certainly a talented young man, however I prefer the Spencers style and genuine warmth. In my humble opinion, Darren seems to be trying too hard, his "charisma" is not nearly as effortless as the Spencers.

The Spencers seem to be forever touring and they pack theatres. Maybe they are snubbed by the societies because, like Terry Evanswood, they appeal to mainstream Americans and are willing to perform in unglamourous places other than Hollywood and Vegas.
bosque
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bosque
I have to agree with Pete Biro. I recently caught Darren Romeo's show in Reno and was completely taken by his talent. He sings like a Broadway star, does incredible impersonations, AND executes flawless illusions with charm and a self-deprecating sense of humor. He also treats the audience and volunteers with genuine respect, remembering people's names and carefully assisting volunteers back to their seats.
I know he has the connections, and I say more power to him. Having recently seen shows by Larry Wilson (Wonderland), David Copperfield and the "Fusion" show in South Tahoe, I have to say Darren Romeo was the best. Hands Down. Congradulations to him for his award I say.
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
226 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear Pete,

As far as I know Dale is not Darren's manager. Darren is still managed by his father.

Regards,

D
SHOC
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
72 Posts

Profile of SHOC
Are the Spencers members of the academy?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The other night Darren said his father "dropped out" of being his manager. And I think Bernie Yuman (S*Rs mgr) has taken over.

Hindman is his technical director, sorry for previous post error.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
I just saw the closeing night show in Reno and I have to say it was amazing. Unfortuatly Seigfried came the night before.

Darren is a great guy. I had a great chat with him.

100% I give him for entertainment value. It was great.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Darren Romeo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL