The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bill Switches Ahoy! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Inspired by Richard Sander's work on the bill switch I've been playing around with a few different ideas which I thought you might like.

MONEY FOR NOTHING (AND YOUR TRICKS FOR FREE)
The magician borrows a $5 note from a spectator and GUARENTEES that they will get back their $5 PLUS more money WHICH THEY CAN KEEP!!! The magician folds up the note and gives it a tap and out falls three 50c coins in the spectator's hand. He says "They're yours to keep....and here's your $5 back" when he unfolds the $5 it is has three 50c sized holes in it! He offers to repair the note but it will cost the spectator $1.50. He pockets the three 50c pieces and proceeds to repair the note into its original form.
BILL SWITCH AS A VANISH
In Bill Malone's bill to lemon he vanishes the $50 by turning it into a one. The note then reappears in the lemon. I have a problem with this because if the $50 TRANSFORMED into the $1 then it can't ALSO be in the lemon. It admits to the audience that you are using two notes. Of course, the audience intellectual KNOWS that you invisibly switch the two notes but there is no reason to telegraph it to them. To my mind a better way of using a bill switch to vanish a note would be to switch it for a transparent piece of plastic which is the same size as the note. This shows the money has 'vanished' leaving the smallest residue.

WHY TURN THE MONEY BACK?
If you are so many magical why do we turn the $100 back into a $1???? Why can't they keep the note? After such an amazing experience, the fact they can't keep the note brings them crashing back to earth!

A SIMPLE BILL SWITCH PLOT
I present the bill as an example of origami. I tell them that "you can fold currency into all sorts of weird shapes like a crane or frog...this one is my favorite though...if you look closely it almost looks like a $100 note..." When they ask for the money. I say "I can even go one better! Not only can I turn $5 in $100 I can even go so far as to turn $100....into $5"
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
Jamy Ian Swiss has a great justification for changing the bill from $100 back into a $1 bill (or whatever you borrow) written in Michael Ammar's "Encore 3". But if you are doing a paid performance, why not borrow a $1 and change it into a $5 or $10 bill and let them keep it? It will make their day!

Also, check out John Carney's "Logical Bill Trick" from either "Carneycopia" or the Stevens' magic "Coin Classics" tape. It is a great justification for a bill switch.

I like your "Money for Nothing" idea, and it works well with Jay Scott Berry's bill switch with his "Cloaking Device", which can be found in his "Illusioneering" lecture notes and on his "Cloaking Device DVD. The reason it works is because the packet is not folded as small as the TT methods. So you can have the coins hidden in the bill during the switch. Thank you for the ideas to play with! ( if I were to want to use one of these ideas in the real world, I would of course ask your permission. Thanks again for sharing!)

-Karl
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
No need to ask permission!

Feel free to use them whenever or wherever you like!
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
A point about the money 4 nothing idea. I think that instead of pocketing the change you could make it look as if you restore the holes one at a time with a little sleight of hand. It seems to flow a bit better than placing the coins into your pocket.

C
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I thought about that but I decided it would make more sense to the plot to pocket the money. I'm CHARGING him three dollars to fix his note not restoring the dollars to their original form.

It leaves them with a sense that I've made money from them.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2004-11-02 17:24, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
BILL SWITCH AS A VANISH
In Bill Malone's bill to lemon he vanishes the $50 by turning it into a one.... To my mind a better way of using a bill switch to vanish a note would be to switch it for a transparent piece of plastic which is the same size as the note. This shows the money has 'vanished' leaving the smallest residue.

bill to lemon---- change bill to an IOU, cange bill to a "winning ticket" where they have won a lemon, etc

s
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bill Switches Ahoy! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL