The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » On Magician's Level (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Hello everybody,

Just a question: I often read: "I am a beginner", "I am an intermediate" etc... How do you define one's level? What makes a beginner jump to intermediate? And then to advanced? What criteria are you taking into account?

This post might seem funny to some, but I feel there is a big misunderstanding around these notions. I mean anyone can claim to be this or that; Am I advanced because I perfectly execute a sylvester pitch or a muscle pass (that's an example)?

As far as I am concerned, I would say I'm an intermediate. But I acknowledge I'm not basing this assertment on anything solid; I'm just considering the routines I perform, the sleights etc. But... I might be overestimating -or underestimating- myself.

So... Are there any specific areas to help one define his/her true level, or is this another obscure concept?
Please clarify this a bit for me.

Thanks a lot.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Phedon,

I too am a beginner.

I am surprised by much of what I find, and enjoy finding things.

Just yesterday I discovered that the idea producing silver coins, then changing them to chocolate coins had been explored by someone over fifty years ago. I was a bit crestfallen, then amused that the person doing this was John Ramsay.

I'm still working on the basics and enjoying the process.

If everything there is to know were an ocean, I would not know enough to cover the bottom of a small cup.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Jonathan,

If you are a beginner, then... what am I?

By your posts on this forum I am certain you're as modest as you are talented. And that's the greatest thing one can be.

But... You're no beginner, even if you still practice your basics and discover new things.

Hence my question: what makes us intermediates, advanced etc.? When can one consider he/she's not a beginner anymore?

Tough question apparently... I guess there are as many answers as there are readers.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Beginner, intermediate or advanced are meaningless terms. Generally speaking they refer to are you just starting out in magic, are you well read regarding history and basic sleights and principles or are you into the more technically advanced or inventive side.

Again, they really mean noting other than to the person saying them. I have been in magic for thirty years + and I always hope to be a beginner. I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Townsend on that point.

Even today I can look at a "beginner's" book of magic and find a gem that is just waiting to be worked with, nurtured and added to my performance skills. Just keep on doing what you do and enjoy it. Never let the magician's hat get too small for your head, and you'll be fine.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Roxy
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Roxy
I prefer the term "I'm still learning" rather than rating yourself beginner, intermediate or expert because in the road of magic, it is a never ending learning experience.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Thanks Jonathan and Frank, your posts confirmed what I was thinking... Everything is in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you for your help, and your humility commands respect.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
You'd be surprised how many "professionals" have a rather limited knowledge of Magic. I like Roxy's attitude--we're all "still learning"--it's best to be "green and growing" because if you stop growing you (and your talents) whither and go poof! Smile
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Roxy has hit the proverbial nail on the head. I myself just consider me to be a life time student! If one were to be able to truly classify the difference between beginner and intermediate...my definition would go as follows....the beginner goes into a magic shop and leaves after having purchase 6 separate packet tricks. The intermediate leaves after having purchased a book with 6 card tricks! But that is only my definition!

Mike
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I find it humorous when people call themselves professional just because they make a few bucks using their Hippity Hop rabbits at a children's show.

I think many people here refer to professional as someone who makes a living off of their magic. Does that make them knowledgable...no....does that make them experienced? No.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Jeff and Eugene handle a model (in their masterclass) that can be used. Notice I say it is "a model".
If you've got some sense of analogies it can help to point out where you as a performer stand.
I think it is described as well in the Mystery-School book.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
580 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
I always thought that a "professional magician" was one that made their living at magic and nothing else.

Then again, maybe I was wrong.

Tom Wolf
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
blade
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
208 Posts

Profile of blade
When you stop learning something new in magic, that's the time that magic will not be exciting to you anymore...
salamangkero/musikero

boj_ice@yahoo.com
k
View Profile
Loyal user
Marseille
283 Posts

Profile of k
Quote:
On 2004-11-03 13:26, blade wrote:
When you stop learning something new in magic, that's the time that magic will not be exciting to you anymore...

I guess it's true to everything out there... When your not surprised anymore, when you start thinking like a "know it all, been there done that", that's the time your bored...

I guess we all want to stay beginners in order not to lose this amazemant, surprise ourselves...

Life needs spice!, and in magic, specificaly with the knowledge of sleight we can have, we just need to still be amazed and ask ourselves "D@¤*m, how he did that?!!!"

My 2 cents fifty...

Ludwig
I'm just a blind Con that lost his I...
remember, Magic's everywhere... ("Your are the magic !" - Albert Goshman)

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple. On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux" St-Exupéry
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
Here's My two cents. If you know a lot of tricks and slieghts and can do none of them well, you are a beginner. if everything you preform is presented correctly, and you can preform your effects flawlessly, then you are advanced. See what I mean? it's not about how much you know, it's what you can do. everyone is still learning, but the more you preform the more you learn. the more experience you get, the better you will become, if you learn from these experiences
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
camador
View Profile
Regular user
Salamanca
170 Posts

Profile of camador
Begineer, intermediate and advance terms have nothing to do with professional (making a living out of it) and amateur...and of course there are beginners, intermediate guys and advanced guys like me...lol, no only joking.

But it´s true that you have to identify what area you are addressing to. For example, it´s different to asses tecnique than performance...

But, I can assure you that I can muscle pass, second/bottom/centre deal quite well, false dealing... and still consider myself a beginner as a performer simply because I don´t regularly perform in public and I don´t have well elaborated routines to link during a show...I can do lots of tricks but I haven´t put enough thought to create a program that can be performed for 15-30 minutes...why??? because I don´t need it...jeje.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I think there are two components to being a magician -- knowledge and experience.

Just as knowing a lot of recipes won't make you a chef, knowing a lot of secrets won't make you a magician. You have to get out there and perform, in order to learn how to present your tricks and handle an audience. Some techniques, like misdirection, can only be learned through experience.

But a good magician also needs to know the history of his/her craft, and have a broad knowledge of the means for accomplishing various effects. Otherwise, you'll waste a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

So I would say that a beginner has no performing experience and no knowledge of how various effects are done. An intermediate magician would be someone who can perform decently in public and understands the basics of most classic effects and sleights. You'd be advanced if you're working on very complicated routines or effects.

I don't think that technique alone is a good basis to judge. Someone who can do a muscle pass, but has no routine to fit it into, hasn't accomplished much. I don't have a good classic palm, but that hasn't stopped me from performing a good Miser's Dream. In fact, there were and are plenty of fine magicians who do no sleight-of-hand at all. It's the combination of knowledge and experience that makes them good magicians.
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I'm a seasoned semi-professional amateur in the learning process. I make some money with magic, but I don't spend any of it Smile

:hysteric:

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-11-04 08:27, Mike Wild wrote:
I make some money with magic, but I don't spend any of it Smile

:hysteric:

Mike
Then the result of all this will be you're getting rich and fat.. Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
In fact, there were and are plenty of fine magicians who do no sleight-of-hand at all.

They're called mentalists Smile Smile Smile!!!

Mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yeah right, next thing you know we will hear rumors of three fly being done with billets, notepads and clipboards.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » On Magician's Level (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL