The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Small But Deadly book review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
The book is reviewed in this months MAGIC magazine.
Just to get my two cents in, it is a great great book written by by a classy guy. The book is well worth the price just for the history of packet trick alone.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
A heads up for those that have this book and may be interested, two of the effects from this book have now been specially printed and are part of my Packet Trick Treasures DVD series as a two for one deal. Not Another Three Card Trick is exactly as in the book though Peter Duffie's Clone Zone has morphed into Cloned which is really the same trick but rather than playing cards there are animals printed on the cards for cloning (an extra gag card finish also). I was demming this recently at the Kutztown convention and Metro Magic but didn't have the DVD's. The DVD cover can be seen here:
http://www.paulhallas.com/7155.html

There are more to come in the series next year, by which time they will be more widely available, but anyone interested in this now can always pm me.
Paul.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
As a big fan of the original Clone Zone, I love what Paul has done with the plot. Cloning animals makes perfect sense and is just plain funny.

Also, his Water to Wine Wild Card is right up my alley as, again, the plot of the trick has a purpose. Something missing from a lot of Wild Card variations. I'm looking forward to the dvds!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
264 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Dear Cameron,
I though that few of your packet variation routines on Omega Mutation are influence by the book (small but deadly-paul hallas)?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Well, honestly, I hadn't read the book before I shot the dvd. But I was familiar with many of the effects contained in the book before I read it.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
ToHan
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of ToHan
An old tread, I know but I’m new here so……hope it’s ok.

I have a lot of books but this is one of the better I own.
It’s fun to read – it’s have the history about the packet tricks – good trick descriptions – so I read it over and over again – maybe it’s because it’s not only a trick book.
One of the routines “Rough return” with patter like “O, it’s one of those days again” is a top routine and very fun to do - with good responses. (as they said – worth the book alone)

Top investment – fun to own – I give you 10 of 10 Mr. Hallas.
Thank you.

Torstein
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
For those that have the book, here's a youtube clip of "The Hand is Quicker Than The Eye"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kqkaY4XwXs

Not done it for a while so was a bit rusty, but I'm sure this is one of the good routines that people overlooked. Those with the book can make it up themselves, but the cards for it will be on the market again shortly with other ideas as "The Handy Trick Collection".

Also somewhere in this thread in one of my posts a clean up/reset for tablehoppers is detailed:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

And finally, the links for contacting me in Marty's initial post have been dead for years, that was when I was still living in England.

Paul.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I finally acquired this book after reading so many rave things about it and I must say everything people have said so far is true! I only wish I had bought it sooner, but it's better late than never!

Just as Peter Duffie's comment (on the back of the cover) about the book...once I began reading it it was hard to put down. Before I realized it I had read half the book into the wee hours of the morning. I only put it down because my eyes were tearing and I needed to sleep. I finished the book the following evening.

The book is a great resource that I will read over and over again. It's a nostalgic walk back in time from chapter 1 to the end. I can recall many of the packets tricks described in this wonderful book and if this isn't in your library shame on you! Get it,, it'll become a favorite I promise!

Thanks Paul for this important piece of Card magic history.

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Thanks for finally getting it Dom, and your comments. The follow up, "Still Small, Still Deadly" was "officially" released at this year's Blackpool convention, though H & R Books in humble Texas had stock before I flew out. Since announcing they had it mid Feb. I'm pleased to say they've sold out twice!! Fred Mitchell also stocks it for those that know him.

Reviews may appear in the magazines in coming months, but it was a small print run and by the time some of those appear.... Smile

Paul.
magicmerlz
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of magicmerlz
Hi all

Where can we buy your stuff from if we are in the UK Paul? Ive got a couple of your DVD's via ebay but would rather buy from a dealer if possible.

Cheers

Matt
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Small But Deadly was available from a few dealers over there, Magic Books By Post may have some left. The DVD's you should be able to find in the UK with a Google search, certainly Eddie Burke (Mr. E. Enterprises)had some listed (not being the wholesale supplier I'm not sure of others but I'm sure there are some).

The new book is not currently available from anyone in the UK presently. But to be honest, it wouldn't cost more to buy it direct from the USA, because any UK dealer would have to incorporate shipping charges from here into his costs, then add UK postage to ship it out.

Anything specific of mine you require, pm me and I might be able to sort you out.

Best wishes,
Paul.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Those that have the sequel "Still Small, Still Deadly" may want to check out Hideo's post if they haven't seen it, regarding his own handling of the Rumba count.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=6469475
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Small But Deadly book review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL