The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini assistant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
519 Posts

Profile of canaday
A young man who works with me was told that his great uncle was not only a magican but also served as an assistant to Houdini for a while. His name was William Hull Turtlelot. Is anyone familiar with the name. Thanks.

Jim
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
No, but then Houdini hired quite a few 'temp' assistants during the busier years as he needed them.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
519 Posts

Profile of canaday
Thanks for the response, Dr. Steve. I've emailed a few knowledgeable friends and they will be doing some checking for me. (Walter Graham, Pete Petreshek and Ray Goulet.) It would be very special for Andy if I could turn up something on his uncle.

Jim
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
What year was andy's uncle a asst. to Houdini.
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
519 Posts

Profile of canaday
I don't think he's really sure. He's a part timer and not into work everyday, but I will ask him next time I see him. He just found out recently about the connection so I don't think that he has a lot of details. He did say that he's tried to do some research on the net but came up empty handed.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Canaday if you can PM me I'll see what I can do to help.
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
I don't know about all of houdini's assistants, but I do know that he started out working with his brother. I think they split up before he married bess, though. I can't recall the dude's name, please write if anyone knows it. correct me if I'm wrong in any of this
**--snap--**
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Snap,

The 'dude' (and he really was; he was a sporty dresser) was Theo Weiss; nickname 'Dash;' later pro name, 'Hardeen.'

Houdini's first permanent assistant (besides Bess) was Franz Kukol (gentleman, diplomat, musician and all-around-right-hand-man). His other two permanent assistants were James Vickery (man of a handful of disguises) and James Collins (chief assistant by that time, and master mechanic).

Other hands were hired briefly, as needed.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Houdini assistant (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL