The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » What's the best Die Box? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
My favorite are any Owen or Mel Babcock Box.
The best I've ever seen is the Milson Worth Deluxe Oriental Die Box; very pricey however!
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
The Owen Magic Supreme Die Box

David
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I too have a die box collection. I perform with the Abbott's Deluxe box. I like the size, handling and the double door. The most unusual one is from my grandfather and it is made of ironwood. The slide is quite loud and solid.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.christophermanos.com
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Daytona Magic has several die-boxes, but they have one that is supremely well-crafted and is just so solid and made of high quality wood... Look them up on their web site and call; I'm not sure which one it is by looking at the web site....
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
DLF
View Profile
Regular user
LA via NYC
145 Posts

Profile of DLF
I would have to agree that the Milson-Worth Oriental Die Box is gorgeous but the standard Milson-Worth Die Box is fantastic too and sleek as can be. Other than that, I'd agree with you all that Mel's Die Box is fantastic as well.

I've almost never met a die box didn't like.
Ok, I'll meet you at the place near the thing where we went that time.
dannsirs
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of dannsirs
It looks like that

Totally overwhelmed by the choices
What would be a good die box for Theater in the round
and/or stage work
$50 - $200
Keep on Entertaining

Mark James
dannsirs@yahoo.com
http://www.UltimateDanceZone.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
If I could only have one Die Box, from what I have seen, it would have to be the Babcock Rainbow Die Box. It seems to look enough like something that most people are familiar with (a Rubik's Cube) that I think it would appeal to them more than a giant die. I would think that there wouldbe more presentational possibilities, also.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-04-27 07:15, dannsirs wrote:
It looks like that

Totally overwhelmed by the choices
What would be a good die box for Theater in the round
and/or stage work
$50 - $200

The Babcock See Thru Block Box has a gimmick that is virtually angle proof. It looks like an all yellow Rubik's Cube, although it could be painted. http://www.nwi.net/~magicmel/seethru.html

There is a cheaper version out there, but Mel Babcock's is far superior.

The Shenanigan Die Box (Abbott's) can be performed without exposing bad sides of the gimmick. I make an oriental version of these, but the price is a little higher than your range.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
There is the blue box, works the same way as the see through. pretty good too (thinner frame).
There was a Jimmy King version where the die goes in, similar to the above but on "top"

I have some 30 die boxes from Chesterfield Cigarettes to the Bone Box. Along the same lines I love the Mephisto Sucker Sliding Jumbo Card Frame with moving slats, made early 70s

Jim Swoger made Ball Boxes for Grant and Jim also made a die box with space in the back so the die turned into a silk.
WmsonProd3104
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of WmsonProd3104
While I've been around magic for some 30+ years, I've never owned a die box! Which is better, the double door method or "single flap"?
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
My grandfather gave me an old Thayer die box but it also has another spin on it that allows you to make a ball vanish from it. It is the size of a ping pong ball. Has anyone ever seen one of these and know more about it.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
You are very fortunate! This little beauty is very rare. If you want a copy of the original instructions I have them. Pls send a SASE. Check and make sure bottom is stamped THAYER
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
My Mel Babcock Rainbow Die Box is pretty hard to beat, especially with Larry Wilfong's performance routine!

But.....if only I could find an original Delben Die Box......wow are they ever special!

Anybody out there have one?
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
I just bought an Abbotts Shenanigan Die Box and there were no instructions. Any one out there have the instructions so I could get a copy. Please pm me
Steve
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 22:30, Rainboguy wrote:
My Mel Babcock Rainbow Die Box is pretty hard to beat, especially with Larry Wilfong's performance routine!

PHOTO:

http://www.nwi.net/~magicmel/rainbowdiebox.html
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Mel's Rainbow Die Box is da bomb. I had to join a health club just to gain the strength to lift the thing. I love that man. In a manly collector type of way.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
129 Posts

Profile of sthielman
I have to concur with the opinions about the greatness of the Rainbow Die Box. But all of Mel's Die Boxes are great, they just serve different purposes. For your real work, his regular die boxes are very, very good.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2009-10-27 21:14, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Mel's Rainbow Die Box is da bomb. I had to join a health club just to gain the strength to lift the thing. I love that man. In a manly collector type of way.

Mel also makes the Rainbow Die Box in a smaller size which is very easy to handle.

Julie
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
My vote is for the Twin Di, its so versatile that any routine you do with it would probably be original

magicbyswh, Abbotts should have instructions for your Shenanigan Die Box (which is my second favorite die box) or I can send them to you. Let me know if you still need them.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
How is Abbott's quality these days? Any recent purchasers of their classic apparatus have an opinion?

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » What's the best Die Box? (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL