The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » What's the best Die Box? (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Speaking of "improvement"...the ever-inventive U.F. Grant developed a very clever prop he called the A.B.C.THRU SUCKER BLOCK BOX. This was a really
l-o-n-g time ago (relative to us youngster magicians Smile ).

The apparatus consisted of a large yellow block with A.B.C. letters and a rectangular shaped container with two large round see-thru holes in the back (one on each side) and an open front (no attached doors at all). Picture a die box with no doors and a large hole in the back wall on either side.

There was also a groove in the front (top & bottom) that served as track(s) for a separate (just one) sliding door. Now it's showtime!

Ingeniously, the wooden block was placed into the open cabinet and the loose door was placed into/upon the track and the block vanished!
Just as easy and clean as that...

Of course, there was the byplay of the loose door being slid over the front of the die (hiding same). Next the cabinet was tilted and the door--supposedly with the die hidden behind it--would slide over to the other side of the box. All the while the large holes in the back of the cabinet could be seen through; the two sides were NEVER covered at one time.

When the audience had been worked up to a suitable frenzy, the magician would remove the sliding door and show the large die had truly vanished, only to reappear somewhere else at his discretion.

'Not a bad effect for four or five decades or more ago, is it?

Julie & Co.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I once (1965) had a small all plated metal die box, About 2x4 inches with a red block. Never seen another one.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2021, ringmaster wrote:
I once (1965) had a small all plated metal die box, About 2x4 inches with a red block. Never seen another one.

I recall there was a discrepancy with this set because the red block was a small solid red cube with rounded corners about the size and general appearance of a regular dice/die and made of Catalin(sp?) or other hard solid plastic material (no spots); but the shell was made of straight edged metal with no rounded corners.

Because the apparatus was small, it was considered a close-up trick, but the difference between the regular red dicey-looking ungimmicked piece and the feke was easily noticed by close-up spectators.

On the positive side, it was a pretty set with the shiny chrome looking Die Box.

Julie
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2021, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2021, ringmaster wrote:

I recall there was a discrepancy with this set because the red block was a small solid red cube with rounded corners about the size and general appearance of a regular dice/die and made of Catalin(sp?) or other hard solid plastic material (no spots); but the shell was made of straight edged metal with no rounded corners.

Because the apparatus was small, it was considered a close-up trick, but the difference between the regular red dicey-looking ungimmicked piece and the feke was easily noticed by close-up spectators.

On the positive side, it was a pretty set with the shiny chrome looking Die Box.

Julie

I own one of those and Julie is correct. The you know what does not match the actual red cube with the rounded corners. What in the world were they thinking when they made it!? Lol

There is one which was available a few years ago which is just terrific? It is black plastic with tiny brass knobs on the front doors and made just as it should be. The die is black with white spots and the you know what is a perfect match and extremely deceptive. Surprisingly good to be honest. It even has the sliding sound!

I carry it around quite often and perform it.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
I have heard that the John Dahms Die Box is very good. He was not a magician, but instead a wood-worker. I have his Nest of Boxes which is excellent.
CDenys
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of CDenys
I like tne mini die box by Michael Baker

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/orient......l-baker/
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2022, CDenys wrote:
I like tne mini die box by Michael Baker

https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/orient......l-baker/

Thanks!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Quote:
On May 27, 2021, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, dfolson wrote:
Mel does make a Rubixs cube solving die box. It is one of my favorite props.

F.Y.I.> This unit is does not produce a standard vanishing & reappearing die box effect, but rather is a magical way to solve a mixed Rubik's Cube.

IMO a Mikame'-type See Through Rubik's Cube die box would pretty much tip onlookers to the method due to the well known nature of a Rubik's Cube construction.

Perhaps a standard die cox configuration with a Rubik's Cube might be more deceptive...? (It seems I have seen variations of this approach on the big auction.)

I have used the Mikame die box quite a lot and not found the style of cube to tip the onlookers at all. Very nice box. And the Rubik's Cube style gives some options for creativity. The cube has to be handled properly, but that is the case for lots of magic.

Julie
johnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
13419 fitzhugh road austin tx 78736
109 Posts

Profile of johnmagic
I bought a beautiful four-inch Die box from Mel Babcock . He custom-made it for me in black and gold which he said he had never made one like it before .quality is not as good as Owen Magic but very excellent. I have Owens magic oriental Die box .The very best they are no longer in business so you’d have to find a used one.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2022, wwhokie1 wrote:
Quote:
On May 27, 2021, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On May 19, 2021, dfolson wrote:
Mel does make a Rubixs cube solving die box. It is one of my favorite props.

F.Y.I.> This unit is does not produce a standard vanishing & reappearing die box effect, but rather is a magical way to solve a mixed Rubik's Cube.

IMO a Mikame'-type See Through Rubik's Cube die box would pretty much tip onlookers to the method due to the well known nature of a Rubik's Cube construction.

Apparently a bit of simple clarification is in order: The Mikame' Vanishing Block (and Mel's) is a wonderful fooler because the collapsible block is painted one solid color, NOT spotted in layers of different colors ala a Rubik's Cube.

The Rubik's Cube different colors would be IMO a tip-off to the fact the block can come apart into smaller pieces for purposes of concealment in the box.

The SOLID COLOR overall presentation on the same block gives the definite impression the block is SOLID. Add to this the block can be displayed freely showing all 6 sides and you have a real baffler.

Perhaps a STANDARD DIE BOX configuration with a shell Rubik's Cube (COLORS) and smaller inside dimensions than the collapsible block box might be more deceptive...? (It seems I have seen variations of this approach on the big auction.)

I have used the Mikame die box quite a lot and not found the style of cube to tip the onlookers at all. Very nice box. And the Rubik's Cube style--SOLID COLOR BLOCK-- gives some options for creativity. The cube has to be handled properly, but that is the case for most Magic.

Julie
rs-magic
View Profile
New user
Texas
16 Posts

Profile of rs-magic
I realize this is an old thread, but Mel Babcock made a SUPERB See-Thru Block Box (with a yellow block that vanishes). He made one for me a few years ago. Both blocks look identical. The block design looks like a Rubicks cube that is all yellow. Its a real stunner. I prefer it to the Die Box.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2023, rs-magic wrote:
...Mel Babcock made a SUPERB See-Thru Block Box (with a yellow block that vanishes). He made one for me a few years ago. Both blocks look identical. The block design looks like a Rubicks cube that is all yellow. Its a real stunner. I prefer it to the Die Box.

As a point of interest: Mel makes (made?) this style die box as a solid yellow "pineapple" block and also with little black divider lines between the squares painted (magic marker) with the block showing a a Rubik's-type design.

I think it just depended upon his creative mindset at the time of manufacture.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » What's the best Die Box? (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL