The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Do you start off with a silent act? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic_streak
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
196 Posts

Profile of Magic_streak
Hello there,

Just wondering how many of you start off your show with a silent act? Perhaps a manipulation act with music or sometihng like that?

For those of you who do, how do you introduce yourself after that? What do you say when you start speaking?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Nope, I could never work silently. I almost never say the same things twice, I work conversationally with the audience and how they react directs me on how to proceed and what to say.

Action/Reaction was a lesson I learned from one of the great comedy writers of our time, Lou Derman (wrote for All in the Family, created Mr. Ed, and was one incredibly funny magician).

Actually, to answer your question "What do you say and how are you introduced" is really a personal thing and what may work for one person may not work for you.

YOU are what it is all about and who you are is something you need to develop and convey.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I would love to do a silent act, but can't seem to close my mouth long enough. I like to talk to the audience like Pete.

And Pete..you brought back the memories of Lou... How I loved to read his monthly column in the Linking Ring. Funniest stuff I've ever read. He was a comic genius! Thanks for reminding me of him.
Coram Deo
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I start by saying, "Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen".

I use Goshman Square to Ball sponge trick using Hank Moorehouse routine. Gets the audience interacting with me.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I do many different acts, but I definitely begin one of my stage acts with a silent dove routine set to music. The routine lasts about 10 minutes and involves the production and vanishing of a number of doves and a rabbit along with other bits. I find it goes over very strong and establishes your role as the magician right off. As for introduction, either the emcee introduces you or you can introduce the act offstage. Following the silent routine, usually the first word out of my mouth is, "Hello," and then talking begins.

Of course, this act does not suit every venue or every audience. In situations that are more intimate, say like a banquet hall, restaurant, people's homes, etc... In these situations it seems more appropriate to begin by introducing yourself, doing a "talking" bit or two to establish your style (comedy etc...) and then doing a silent routine or two later in the act (if you are going to do one at all).

Think of what type of magician (character) you are trying to portray, and work from there. Your "character" and "style" should help you decide whether or not talking is right for you.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
For me it really depends on what type of show and the audience and market I am performing for. This varies a lot in what I do and how I start my shows.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I start all shows with a 2-3 min music segment showing some fast visual magic.

Then I speak to the audience tell a few gags briefly & introduce myself -maybe a 6 card repeat then into another music segment-

Vary your routine with audience interaction & music-we finish with an Illusion.

If your not comfortable speaking-keep it to a minimum & maybe have a great visual act

Pete Biro is obviously a great talker & very funny hence is natural to his audience interaction-not all entertainers have the gift to talk & keep everybody entertained-Be comfortable with whatever you do

Good luck
Amazing Kenno
View Profile
New user
Kenno
60 Posts

Profile of Amazing Kenno
I start both parlour and small stage events with mysterious music and 4 mins of silk vanishes and productions, often including the JSB Diamond silk fountain as it "credentials" me in a flashy way that they will see some magic. Then I introduce myself, talk about getting started in magic and go from there. I try and do 1/3 of my show to magic, including the last effect. With a younger audience, I include less music as the kids want/expect you to talk to them and enjoy the interaction during the show.
The Amazing Kenno
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I did a silent section and I still do so, the problem I used to have was the section inbetween the two. I always found it hard to join together silent and patter. I however worked a gag/trick that allows me to get round this tthough. My silent act involved manipulations etc and will soon involve doves but then I go onto a more comedic patter act. The silent act has almost reached its peak in time length and I don't feel should be much longer than 12 minutes. Otherwise it could be a bit tedious. I allways found it hard, until now to think of a reason to suddenly reverting to pater.
Nick
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
When I was performing professionally I would start out with a silent act. At the point when it came time to speak (since they were applauding anyway from the silent act) I said "Thank you and good evening everyone, may name is **** ***** and I am a magician, and tonight I'm going to magish...... for you. How many of you have.." blah blah blah.. or whatever after that. This line always got a laugh and with no hesitation I was either setting ground rules for the kids, (if it was that type of show) or into the patter for my first routine which I always tried to make a comedy routine.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I always start off silently to music...so not completely silent.
When I attend a show I want instant visuals...not banter even if it's comedic..I WANT MAGIC!
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
So much depends on the cirrcumstances of the individual show, but in general I start with a pre-recorded introduction (never rely on the host/sponsor to do a decent intro unless they are a professional emcee or at least a pro radio announcer) ...I use the silent fast paced opener to allow the audience to adjust to watching and it lets me run a sure-fire, energy burning couple of minutes that really breaks the pre-show nervous energy for me. Right after that, unless you have strong motivation not to...you should give some manner of introuduction and greeting: "Good evening, I'm ---------- and tonight we will------- (on into the next segment)."
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
I start off with a silent act that lasts around 1.5 minutes. It gets the audience's attention and gives them a taste of what they will be getting throughout the show. The act is a small one and involves 2, MAYBE 3 tricks. After that act is done, I introduce myself and get everyone acquainted with me and continue with the show.
- Tommy Magic
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
If you start the act with a musical sequence you can add a good introduction at the beginning. Then you will not have to rely on someone. If there is a good MC all you have to do is fast forward past your recorded intro.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
This depends on the venue and purpose of my program.

At times I start out non-verballly. It is usually not silent. Things I have used are:

1. Music
2. Mouth Squeaker
3. Mouth noises
4. Sound generators
5. First Production is my harmonica which I then play and our use as a magic wand/Flip Stick...

Be safe,well and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Yes, I see what you are saying. But in my mind, saying hello in the middle of the act splits too much for what I am doing. In my mind my act should run fluently. It shouldn't be split up in to individual segment e.g
silent
mentalism
comedy grand illusion etc
In my mind they should all be combined into one. There shouldn't be a split. If you put your most visual magic even befor you've started you've told them that wasn't event the beginning much more amazing things are about to follow. This can often follow to an anticlimax from the audiences persepective.
Nick

P.S. Please don't worry if you don't understand what I've just said. I know I haven't Smile
Danny Boy
View Profile
New user
USA
57 Posts

Profile of Danny Boy
You have to find your individual character and determine from audience reaction what works and what doesn't. At the World Magic Seminar last week not one thing in my act went right in the Teen Stage Competition (won by Nathan Kepner, look out for him because he's going places) and figured that my life in magic was over forever. When I came out to talk to Mr. Biro while the next act was getting set up we had the audience rolling in the aisles with back and forth. My career is far from over, and my comedic magic is just beginning. The point of this little fable is that even though I strived to be that classy magician with the world at his fingertips, my personality will allow for much greater things than a cocked eyebrow ever could. Experiment and look at who you are day to day, people will enjoy that the most because that's who you'll be most comfortable as, and at the end of the day people know if you're faking it.

Thanks Mr. Biro

Dan
DannyCrook.com
raycrowe
View Profile
New user
Australia
15 Posts

Profile of raycrowe
Hi all.

I have always started with a silent/music start.
I mostly work in an after dinner situation.
Music gives a focus to an often spit crowd.

Re: a prerecorded intro.
For me it is always best to for the MC to get, draw the attention, that’s their job, if an MC isn’t there I get someone high up in the company to do the intro… because the crowd knows them, it can appear as through they are endorsing me as they do the intro.
I never go on before someone else has “warmed” the space.

I believe what Tommy Wonder says about your opening; too many fast, instant effects may be missed by many of the crowd as they shuffle in their seats, summing you up.

Over the years I have cut back the time of my opening, I do find that it’s not till I say “Hello” that they relax, it may be just in Australia, but an audience does responds to convention and etiquette, whenever we meet we say “Hello”…. It also gives them a chance to echo a response, to become involved.

The again, I have seen many acts just walk on, start talking and do extremely well.

So as others have said, do what is right for you, for me it’s only after trying many ways I found what feels best…. Try them all, that’s how you learn.

Raymond Crowe
"More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness." Chaplin
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I perform a 10, 20 and 30 minute silent-comedy act, entirely set to music.
My intro is brief and pre-recorded, a la 20th Century Fox with a voiceover telling audiences to sit back, relax and enjoy.....(drum roll)....the Magic of "Max". I play off of the physical and verbal responses of the audiences, somewhat in the style of the great Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel.

I took Mime classes years ago and one of our end of class projects was to perform in a public square (Philadelphia's Headhouse Square, to be exact). I pulled out my tricks from when I was a teen and performed a ten minute show that seemed to be a hit.

Over the years, as "Max", I have found silent-comedy to be an enjoyable experience for both myself and my audience. It also has the potential to be highly interactive.

I also enjoy performing walkaround silently, again in my "Max" person. Not only is this highly communicative and interactive style a lot of fun for me (and the spectators), allowing me to perform virtually all classic effects (ie. cups and balls, rope, rings, signed bill,find the card tricks, etc.), it also saves the voice and the hearing at high-noise venues.

Because I have "another side" that enjoys the thrill and fun of speaking and interactive banter, I have developed speaking characters such as "jack the Gambler" for mingling magic situations and "perform" with voice, as "myself", when I represent companies at trade shows.

To view brief video clips of our silent close-up magic and silent stage show, we invite you to visit our site at: http://www.maxmagician.com

Wishing you all the best in voice and silence.

Sincerely,
Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Danny Boy... thanks for the kind words... You know, in reality, that competition PROVED YOU A WINNER. You found out what really matters.

Next year I expect to see you again and win again.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Do you start off with a silent act? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL