The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Tenkai (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
833 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I happened across a book in my collection called The Magic of Tenkai, compiled by Gerald Kosky and Arnold Furst, pub. Magic Limited, Lloyd E. Jones 1974.

I am having a hard time visualizing what this stuff is supposed to look like, and what it looked like in Tentai's hands (and what the overall presentation was). It does look quite interesting, some very unusual methods and effects (I like a coin vanish in a paper cone for one).

Is anyone familiar with this book, or with Tenkai the magician? He had a fine reputation and I have a feeling he deserved it, but it is hard for me to get a sense of his work from this book.

I welcome any comments or stories!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Tenkai first went to America with Tenkatsu Troupe and remained in US. He was performing similar manipulation with Cardini's, and Cardini and Tenkai once competed their skill. Tenkai won in Ball manipulation and Cardini won in Card manipulation.

Tenkai performed at 1953 New England SAM convention. At that convention, Channing Pollock also performed, but Tenkai was the main performer at that time. You can see the SAM poster in October 1953 issue of MUM.

After coming back to Japan, he taught many magicians, and Haruo Shimada was one of them.

Celebrating Tenkai, Tenkai Prize committee was established and committee has been awarding good magic creator every year. 5 Tenyo creators including me won the prize.

In his later years, I learned theory of magic and wrote $B!F(BTenkai Magic Lesson$B!G(B in my magazine. It only lasted 7 months because Tenkai died after I had the last session with him. Yes, I was the last magician who met him on the day he died.

In one words, Tenkai$B!G(Bs magic was clever weaved with many subtleties.

I can$B!G(Bt forget the days I toured with Dai Vernon, Larry Jennings and Tenkai in Vernon$B!G(Bs lecture tour in Japan. In that tour, Dr. Sawa met Vernon and Vernon introduced Sawa to US.

I have much happy memories and I am still making happy memories.

Hideo Kato
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
833 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Thanks Hideo San for responding to my post. I wish I could have seen this marvelous magician.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kazato-san... yes, Tenkai was a wonderful performer, and let us not forget his wife Okinu -- I loved their stage act with the GIANT silk production... and when she walked off her "backpack" (I don't know the japanese word for it) was NOT THERE... Hahahah... what a great load!

His manner and way of working was flawless and his ideas were very clever.

I was lucky to meet him a few times when he was here.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2004-11-04 01:52, foolsnobody wrote:
I am having a hard time visualizing what this stuff is supposed to look like ...and what the overall presentation was).

I am tempted to buy the book (The Magic of Tenkai, MoT), but wonder if I'd find it as useful as other good coin books I own, but have not put enought time in. Foolsnobody's comment increases my uncertainty about the book's value to me. Have readers found this book difficult because the mover are knucklebusters?
The translation awkward?
The routines outdated or culturally unique?
The descriptions too brief?
Would readers comment or would Foolsnobody elaborate on the difficulty with MoT.
Of course seeing how it should look is more difficult when reading than in watching a video, but some writter make it easier than others. Many people say Bobo's MCM is hard tou use. Could someone compare difficulties with MoT to other well-known (coin ones especially for my particular interest) books?
Thanks, E
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Tenkai (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL