We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Axtell remote control board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
amazingboz
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of amazingboz
HI
Anythoughts on this item? I am anxious to spend over
$1000.00;and have never seen the effect live! Any help
would be appreciated;especially from if you own or have seen one in use.
Thanks
Magically yours,
Boz
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Honestly, I think going with a regular axtell board is just fine. I get AMAZING reactions with the axtell board.

I just feel 1000.00 is a bit steep for a remote setup on that board.

I would get a regular board...and spend 900.00 on something else amazing.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
I tend to agree with Rob. Although, I would love to have one if I had an extra $1000 lying around. It just seems like that is a lot of cash for basically the same effect. It makes perfect sense to hold the original board in your hands to operate it anyway, since you are drawing the picture. That's just my opinion. I don't have it and I haven't seen it used yet. If money grows on trees around your house, then by all means get it.

Regan
Mister Mystery
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I use the Magic Drawing Board in every show and it is always a favorite. So why should I spend $900 for a remote control board. The regular one is great!

I care much more about entertaining the audience, than about fooling them, and you can entertain just as well with the regular board.

OliverTwist
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Oliver,

I seem to remember a post you made a long time back where you talked about modifying your Magic Drawing Board. It had to do with the eye control...maybe a loop...I'm not sure. I can't find that post anywhere. Anyway, I was hoping to modify mine so I could control the eyes with only my thumb. Assuming it was you, would you mind giving me some tips on how to do this? Do you like yours better this way?

Thanks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Regan,
I had put a loop on the end of the eye lever. It didn't work well enough so I took it off. I'm not using it now. The idea may still be good but I didn't execute it very well.
The only modification I currently use is I have a one inch long piece of wire taped just above the eye lever to tell me when the eyes reach their limit (just before they disappear) so I know where to stop.

Oliver
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Great post Oliver.

I agree fully. The people are going to know you are controlling no matter what....it is about ENTERTAINING...
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
kristel
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
87 Posts

Profile of kristel
If you really want a remote Magic Drawing Board...buy a regular one from Axtell and ask a friend of yours with electronics experience to do the job for two or three hundred box. It could be done with a solenoid and a cheap remote control for less than a hundred box, but for proportional movements it will cost you nearly three hundred box.

ANDRE LE MAGICIEN
Excuse my french...from Quebec Canada!
Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Oliver,

Thanks so much. What did you use for the loop and how did you attach it?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
What a wonderful line, "entertain the audience instead of just fooling them." I bet you get a lot of repeat shows and referrals with that philosophy. I'm just getting back into magic and thinking of adding a puupet to the act. Do puppets and magic go together well?
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2004-11-24 23:56, Whitewolfny wrote:
Do puppets and magic go together well?

Like peanut butter and jelly!

Regan
Mister Mystery
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Regan,

I used some thin aluminum armature wire. It's used in clay sculpture to help the clay keep its shape. I don't remember how I attached it. It might have be hot-melt glue. I use that a lot.

Oliver
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks again Oliver. I may foll around with this idea someday. I imagine you could find this wire at an arts supply store?

Regan
Mister Mystery
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Try http://www.sculpt.com/
Go to Online Catalog
Clay Tool Index
Armature and wire

You can use this wire for Anderson's Torn and Restored Newspaper too. The steel wire you get at a hardware store could be used as well.

Oliver
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Oliver. You have been a great help.

Regan
Mister Mystery
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Well to put a different twist on this. I have been doing the drawing board when I t first came (still have my old one). The drawing board does kill and yes the 1000.00 is very high . But you know if Steve Axtell makes it , it is going to be TOP of the line.

FOr example, I am thinking of getting it. I want to use it in my school and library shows. Since I use a Showtech for my music I would use the board as an MC. I would go back behind curtain and the board would start talking. Perhaps the board would talk about the lesson that I just taught. Again I think it would be cool to have the board on stage and it be apart of the show the entire time and not just for "a" routine.

Ken
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ken,

That is a great idea!

Regan
Mister Mystery
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Ken,
That's an incredible idea. The possibilities are endless.

I wouldn't consider it as a replacement for the regular Drawing Board, but that opens new possibilities.
But at $1000 I'm not going to steal your idea soon.

Oliver
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1004 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
My family went to Legoland in Southern California.

We saw Kevin Johnson's show there, and it rocked!

He just won "best male theme park performer" at the IAAPA convention.

If you get anywhere near legoland, go and see his show. He's a fantastic vent, and opens with the remote control drawing board. It was great.

(I use the regular drawing board, but the remote feature took it to a whole new level.)
Make your show FUNNIER with Rindercella & Tim's announcements cd

Preshow Announcements Sample & INSTANT DOWNLOAD

Rindercella Story

[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
Since reading Ken's post and thinking more about it, I can see where there are many applications for the remote board. Now, if only I had an extra thousand bucks just lying around.

:(

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Axtell remote control board (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL