The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Circus Themed Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Hey Everyone,
Ive got a show coming up (Dec. 18th-04). I will be entertaining 100+ and they are wanting to theme their event as a circus...Any ideas? I do several classics...
Dove pan, Square Cirlce, Needle Through Mirror, Mail Bag Escape, Profs. Nightmare, Change Bag, Domino (What's Next) Card, Pom-Pom Sticks....to name a few... I know they aren't consider "grande illusion" but I am willing to hear what anyone is willing to share.Any help is welcome...
Thanks,
Bryan
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
You got an illusion show in mid December and you are NOW just trying to figure out what you are going to do? In a Month?

Now that's magic!
Dennis Michael
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
LOL... It never fails... we are actors playing the part of magicians who are also playing the part of event planners... It's these small changes we make in our patter and routines at moments notice to please the client or audience, that eally sets magicians apart from other performers in the entertainment industry.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Why not make evreything look like a circus theme or it is/from the circus.
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Bryan,

You don't really need the "big" illusions to do this right. Think side shows at the circus or at the carnival. See if that direction helps you out any. Remember, they don't know what your going to be doing at the show, the only person that knows what your going to do and when.....is YOU! Call me sometime!

Robert Long
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
In that case, the electric man (Magic Light bulb). The human pin cusion, needle through hand, or neddle through arm (Anderson version).
Dennis Michael
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
You might consider the Circus Sideshow Silks Effect (I believe Dennis Michael above has a pic of himself doing them). They are fun and use a circus theme. The cost however is $100. I use them and they are worth it for me.

You might also consider using some circus music. One of Laflin's Royalty Free CD's has some.

There are also clown silks you could produce from the square circle.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I took a bunch of the old Merle Evans RBBB records and converted for CD's. I used them as pre show music. It worked great. You can pick them up on EBAY cheap.

There is also a group on East Coast lead by Richard Windmarsh that plays the old time circus music.

Do Zig Zag as the Indian rubber girl, she bends she stretches, she twists, she turns.

Color changing plumes are off the circus horses.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
So, you've got a little over two weeks to put this together. I recommend that you do not try to put together a brand new show. There's just not enough time to do a quality job. Re-frame the magic you already do.

Start with your costume and/or character. You could easily become a "Magical Ringmaster." Get a red tailcoat, some tall black boots, a decent silk top hat and a whistle and you will look the part.

Or perhaps a "Magical Circus Clown." Get a colorful clown costume. Or, as Stephen suggested, a "Circus Sideshow Barker." Get a straw hat, red vest and striped trousers.

If possible, have a simple circus backdrop made that can be hung from a jet set. Nothing too elaborate, even a black curtain, draped with red trim will work.

Add some lively circus music, Sousa marches, etc., to set the atmosphere.

If you insist on adding one or two new tricks, keep them simple and colorful.

And don't forget about popcorn. Use the popcorn dye box, or magically pop some in your dove pan and end up with a rabbit. If possible, try to get the smell of freshly popped popcorn in the show. It just screams circus.

Just about any trick could be re-framed with a circus theme once you have the character, costume, setting and music covered. Think about the overall show, not just specific magic tricks, and it will come together.

Break a thread.

Magically ,
Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
amazingluke
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of amazingluke
I know 'Harlequin' had some circus elements in a show he was planning...hopefully he may see this post or perhaps you could PM him.
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
Well there is always the trick circus wagon.
Kyle
Posted: Dec 1, 2004 3:21pm
---------------------------------------------
And you might want to look on Wolf magic website.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Circus Themed Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL