The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Vanishing Alcatraz... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
On a recent trip to the San Francisco Bay, I film several home video shots attemting to vanish Alcatraz... none of them turned out as good as I had hoped. I would love to go back and film better footage... I am not looking to air this on any TV network, nor make money off of it. I am simply putting together home video for friends and family of various illusions and tricks. A good friend told me a great idea (as follows)...
While on the shoreline facing Alcatraz, zoom in on the island... within seconds of pulling off the "tight shot" of the island, the whole zoomed-in image; or frame if you will, becomes crumbled by me... Alcatraz no longer sits where it was just moments before... Great idea tright? I would love to run with it and make several more attempts to pull this off. Any ideas... Remember, this is a homevideo for friends so I am not looking to spend much and it is a challenge for fun... just thought it would be neat to try! - Bryan
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2885 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Here's a rough -- very rough -- idea.

Get a map of SF and draw a straight pencil line from the Marina boat harbor parking lot, through the island, and onto the shoreline on the other side. Try to go through the old helipad outside the warden's house or something similar, i.e., a place you can stand on, on the island, that's not too high above the water.

Now go on the island tour and stand exactly on the spot you had picked (on the line you drew), and take several shots of the far shoreline in the direction of your pencil line. Do medium-range zooms for the most part, but take a bunch of them.

Now, the next day at the same time, and given the weather is the same, go out to the Marina lot and take several shots of the island, pointing the camera towards the far shoreline along the line you had drawn. Take mostly long zooms here.

Now, with a video-processing program on your computer, match the shots, creating a (somewhat steady) zoom onto the island, which vanishes at some point.

As I said, this is a rough idea. You'll need some careful planning, but, if you're just trying to do a fun challenge for friends, it could be just that.

Good luck!

Oops, just read my own post... one little detail may not have been clear, although I'm sure you caught on:

The idea is to match the shots from the Marina lot with the shots from the island, so you end up looking at the far shoreline "through" the island. The reason to take the island tour first is simply that it's easier (and cheaper) to go back to the Marina lot several times if you need to.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Excellent Idea....I love it
Magically,
Bryan
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Give it a shot. Let us know what happens

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Vanishing Alcatraz... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL