We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "I know how he does it!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Danno
View Profile
New user
Boston
94 Posts

Profile of Danno
How do you deal with hecklers? Is that the correct term? People who enjoy verbally ripping apart all your tricks by telling how you do them.

Now, sometimes they're right (or kinda close). A lot of the time, they're completely wrong. But, in front of a group they can influence others into believing that they are correct about the secrets behind your magic. This just seems to put a damper on the "WOW" of the trick.
Priest
View Profile
New user
NYC
100 Posts

Profile of Priest
First of all, this is ruining the show for both you and the other spectators (who aren't heckling you).

Luckily, I've never had to deal with this. But if it happened, I think I would just try to play it off in a comical manner and let him know that it's not appreciated. Maybe by saying something like, "Sir, would you mind waiting until after the show to let me know how I've done my tricks?" Or something to that effect. If you say something mean, then it is only going to provoke him more. But, in my opinion, something does need to be said.

I can't wait to read everyone else's opinion. What would you say to the heckler?

-p-
"Funk is not something U can buy at the corner store.
It is something that U find deep within Ur Soul!"
.:The One Year Project:. .:Forums:.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

If you do a search on the words "hecklers" on this forum you will find that this topic is well covered in several posts.

Phillip
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
My favorite line is, "Oh thanks, I forgot that part. Here, why don't you try it?" Shuts them up.

Jakks
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
Most often they're not anywhere near the truth and their thinking is very often illogical, so sometimes I point out their flaws.

"If it would be as you say, how can it be like this then?" That can make them look a bit stupid and they usually get quiet. But as Phillip said, do a search and you find enough information on the subject.
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Quote:
On 2002-08-30 13:44, Jakks wrote:
My favorite line is "Oh thanks, I forgot that part, here why don't you try it?" Shuts them up.
Jakks

Agree totally! ahHAhHahAHa always works...Instead of just saying that, I give them the deck and tell them to actually perform it. This puts them on the spot and when someone sees that the person can not, then they know that the guy doesn't really know how to do the trick.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
If someone actually says, "I know how he does that," it is usually a child or someone who doesn't like "being fooled." For my personality, I find it best to treat the person as a fellow magician and ask the person to help me or to keep the secret or otherwise make the person feel included.

Even in bars, I always found that it worked best to befriend the "hecklers." More experienced performers may know better!

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
My pride won't allow me to befriend hecklers! I love to make them suffer!!! Smile Smile

Also, I like to say, "Oh and here I was thinking you were intelligent." That is only for the really cruel ones though. Make your hecklers seem stupid, but do it very discreetly.

Jakks
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
I think if you find you're getting heckled a lot, the problem is likely with YOU. Expect to get heckled performing for friends or family. They KNOW you and therefore feel they have the right to explain things (sometimes they're just fishing for an explanation).

If you're not sure of yourself or are bumbling, people are more likely to prey on you (because you're boring them with the obvious—or so it seems to them). Maybe what you're doing really IS boring, long winded or too transparent. Either rework it or drop it from your routine.

If you're sure it's not one of the above, you're going to win more friends and go home with fewer black-eyes if you're gentle and use a little humor NOT at the expense of the spectator: "Hmmh. THAT might work, too! Thanks for the suggestion" or "Wow. All this time I never had a CLUE how that thing works." You could follow it up with, "When I'm done here, do you think you could show me that privately?"
nappa
View Profile
Regular user
new york
108 Posts

Profile of nappa
I usally do what jakks does or just walk away. Some people just don't like magic I guess.
Q-TIP
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, Oh
61 Posts

Profile of Q-TIP
Hecklers are a pain but a few sarcastic/comedic comments either will put them in their place or encourage retaliation. In which case I suggest a nice watch steal, they usually realize who's in charge after that. Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
It's important to separate true hecklers from those who just want to be in the spotlight. In the latter case, alleycat's advice is good: Make them part of your show; include them and you've got a real ally.

In the former case, hit 'em with a brick! No, seriously, walking away is usually the best action, if that's possible.

But Steven the Amusing has a point: If this happens regularly, maybe it's time to look at your presentation; it may be at fault.
magiciandude
View Profile
New user
Utah
67 Posts

Profile of magiciandude
Well personally, I would make the real hecklers feel as stupid as they are trying to make you by asking them to perform and extremely difficult trick with loads of sleights and practice. Of course finish your current trick and then ask them to perform the extremely difficult trick and say if they know so much then perform this effect. But then again Jakks' comment is a great idea too.

Lance R. Wilson
Smile
Well isn't that just great, I'm stuck!
Magic is the psychology of the audience.
-Lance Wilson
Manipulix
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Manipulix
I made the experience that to my personality it is the best to make him or her part of the show. Our spectators in my opinion are the most important part of our show. Without them, the hecklers included, we would not be on stage I assume.

I agree with alleycat, Steven the amusing and Peter.

Sincerely yours
Manipulix Smile
What is life without a little bit of magic?
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
If I get an "I know how you did that" response to an effect I would usually counter with either, "I'm glad one of us does" (a la Steven the Amusing) or "So do I." The latter is so illogical that it often throws the heckler into a bewildered silence.

However, if I get an "I know how you did that" followed by an explanation (plausable or not) I will commonly fire at them a little non-sensical magic gibberish that can sound something like this:

"Ohhh, OK. I see what you mean. But a double half pass and a four count centre deal could never work for something like this." What can a heckler say to that, apart from, "Oh?"

Of course, try to make them part of the act and of course leave if things get too bad, but one can usually have a little fun with hecklers because of their very natures (that they want to be involved). Something which is all too often forgotten.

:coolspot:
Hello.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Everyone follow Stephen's advice!!! That is definitely the way to deal with them.

Jakks
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
I wouldn't like to get into a contest with a heckler. Even if you win the verbal battle, you'll have lost the audience.

If you have a small audience, you can sense that some people feel foolish because of magic tricks. It is, then, time to review your approach. Some people, however, just need to figure it out. If I sense that people are feeling a bit too "challenged" by my presentation, I stop (BEFORE any loud remark has been made) and talk about why magic is fascinating.

I talk about how it reveals the wonders of our mind, the depth of our humanity. I mention that it only works BECAUSE we have an intellect and that smart people are usually more easily deceived and entertained than simpler folks. That is why I like performing for bright people. I give the example, "Sure, have you ever tried to do a card trick for your dog? It just doesn't work! Likewise, you cannot fool a monkey.

What I like about magic is that it reveals so much about how we think...that in fact we DO think. So, here, sit closer, look closely, and be fooled and entertained...It's not a puzzle, it's an opportunity to get to know ourselves a little better." I then ask the person who seems most uncomfortable if they would like to help me. If they accept, great, if not, they, at least, seem to relax a little more.
Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
There is lots of advice about handling heckler, unfortunately most of it is, in my opinion, bad advice. However, if you want great advice about hecklers, you can't do better than checking out anything Eugene Burger has to say about audience management. If you can find it, his Growing in the Art of Magic audio tapes are a goldmine of great information.

Thanks,
Richard
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Steve
View Profile
New user
Belgium
89 Posts

Profile of Steve
There's an excellent article about "What if you get caught" by Eugene Burger. You can read it here: http://www.secretartjournal.com

You'll need to get registered, small test to check if you know your magic stuff, but it's free. Lots of stuff there by Eugene, also by Jeff McBride.

Steve
Smile
CardSharp
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
105 Posts

Profile of CardSharp
I too have had to deal with my fair share of hecklers which is why I rarely do any unexpected magic. Once I did a trick at my lunch table at school, so I do this trick then this one kid says, "Wait, what happened?" I say, "I can't do it again." Then he says, "But I wasn't paying attention." So I do it again (I know I'm not supposed to).

I finish the trick and he says, "Oh I know how you did it!" but he didn't just say he knows how I did it he tells everyone else at the table how I did it! So it's ruined for them too and everyone else who happened to hear. So he kind of ruined unexpected magic for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "I know how he does it!" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL