The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What Kind of Wood to use for a Steamer Sub Trunk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Any suggestions or advice? Plus, I need to get the hardware for it. Any Suggestions?

Don
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'm guessing you're talking about a sub trunk. Birch ply is a popular choice, although if you're going to cover it inside and out, standard 1/2" AC ply is fine. I would do the bottom only in 3/4" (and maybe the you-know-what section), since otherwise it gets very heavy. I'd be interested in what others have to say about this.

As far as the hardware, VanDyke's has a good selection of trunk hardware -- stuff for real trunks, not road cases. Their Web site is at http://www.vandykes.com.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I will be covering it in canvas and wall paper on the inside. I need to make it as authentic as possible.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Then by all means go look at some real old trunks (if you haven't already done so). I seem to remember seeing a book about old trunks advertised somewhere; it consisted of catalog cuts from old manufacturers, gathered together into a book.

If your library or bookstore has old Sears catalogs (the reprints from the early teens and twenties), this is a good source too. You can also try local theater groups, antiquarian societies, and similar places -- they often have old trunks lying around.

Good luck!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What Kind of Wood to use for a Steamer Sub Trunk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL