The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Best Impromptu For TV (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
This producer/director is asking me about magic tricks for his new television show (name and release dates not allowed out yet). He wants close-up effects that can be done without a table, and in under 20 seconds. I know we're talking about very few tricks that fit this, but I knew you guys here at Magic Café would have some ideas. Just good, short tricks for TV without aid of table. Thanks for the help!!

Justin Smile
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Visual tricks such as "Anti-Gravico" (where you take the open and full pop bottle, turn it upside down and it does not spill out) or the "Hydrrstatic Glass" would do well too.

The Ball and Tube, The Fickle Nickle, a coin vanish via "Raven" all come to mind too.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
The first things that come to mind are productions ... not from boxes which take time to be shown empty. Barehanded or from a silk might be good. Produce anything from a scarf to a fishbowl.

The serpent silk is another fast, highly visual effect.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
If you want to throw in a card trick, a rising card effect should do.

dchung
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
To get specific, is he asking about tricks you could do or tricks the host could do?
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
We're talking tricks I'd be doing, not a host. It's more of a sitcom, not a magic special. Smile

Justin
Tercero
View Profile
New user
Spain
51 Posts

Profile of Tercero
In my opinion, one of the greatest magic trick for TV is "Increasing the Value" of a bill. Quick, visual, fantastic! Smile
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
249 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
The coin that falls up is a quick, visual zinger.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
Juan Brown
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Juan Brown
Smile
I always use the bottle through body ... that´s a great impromptu effect.
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
justinflom:

If this is still a priority for you to get your show together, think of this!

I had this same question posed to me at a large banquet for the United Way here in Redding. You see, I got exposure, the ABC news affliate was on the scene, and well since I was there "WOWING" the crowd, the news decided to "show" me.

The camera/tech asked me to do some "tricks" for the camera.

Justin, this quite possibly could be the greatest question you have asked! Why. Seize the magic "moment". One word— JAM.

I did six fast "coin vanishes and reappearances". I just "jammed" for the camera, and was featured live on the news!!!!!

Try to think, and be prepared for all the possible scenarios. One Coin routines, worked for me!

Bascomb
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Lets look at this from a different perspective— I don't know about most of you, but I see 20 seconds as a long time. I can do a complete coins across in 20 seconds, but hey ... that's me.

I like a gold silver transposition in the hand of the spectator. It works great and seems imposible to do, it's short, and uses no gimmicks other then a gold plated half. All sleight of hand but well worth the work.

Michael MacDonald
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
It is difficult to creat a rapport AND do a trick in 20 seconds that will be what it should be. I can't, off hand, come up with enough material that fits the bill. That will not be an easy gig and at worst a non meaningful sight gag. Hardly "magic".

You have to think what will be the consequence of what you put out ... will it be work that will build desire to see more or will it be percieved as "filler"?

Prospective clients may not want "filler".

Sometimes what sounds like a good thing can be the worst thing to do, career wise.

Quality over quantity. It's better not to be seen doing magic badly just to be on TV. Lots of people will form opinions of your work by what you are allowed to do.

I will be interested in how it comes out.

best wishes
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I would use Greg Wilson's coins across from his On The Spot video. Most visual routine I've ever seen.
Marc Levine
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
125 Posts

Profile of Marc Levine
Ditto on the coins across Zombieboy...It's my favorite impromptu effect.
submagi
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of submagi
Do a color change routine or Oz's vanishes routine. Both are quick and very visual.
chriscox
View Profile
Regular user
London
173 Posts

Profile of chriscox
A good, quick, visual and can be silent trick which is amazing is a live goldfish production.

I've seen it done many a time, it's class!
LordM
View Profile
Loyal user
Portugal
232 Posts

Profile of LordM
Justin,
You can do rubber band tricks, and twisting arm, coin magic (like ungimmicked hopping halves) misled.. this is just a few..
Kind Regards,
JP

http://www.joaopedroso.com
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of flipped
Recapped is a great impromptu and Head Trip will get great laughs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Best Impromptu For TV (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL