The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Freestyle Book Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
I just finished reading this and put together my own book, and wanted to share my thoughts on it as well as ask what other people are doing with this.

Briefly, the Freestyle is Greg Arce's solution to making the traditional book test pack small and play really, really big. 66 pages long, with several addendums showing exactly how it works, Greg does his readers a favor by teaching us how to make our own books instead of just selling us books (though he tells me that he also custom makes these things for those who don't have time to make them).

This is a totally customizable book test--so you can see someone doing the Freestyle and not really know s/he's doing it. Moreover, Banachek adds a tip in there that shows you how to make the effect even more impossible from stage.

For those who don't have it, all I'll say is that this is a book test that allows you to call out a number of things: words, phone numbers, playing cards, days, dates, objects, pictures, and more. A lot of it can be called out without even touching the book.

For those who have it, you know this is a really great tool for demonstrating super-memory skills with very little work. I'm thinking of a presentation that goes along the lines of, "remember those text books we all got in high school? Remember how everyone forgets everything in there? Well, not me..." From this angle, I think rattling off phone numbers from old girlfriends and talking about different things written in the book has tremendous impact.

(I can see this being really effective with corporate clients.)

I'm thinking about using a Social Studies textbook with a large world map in the back. The end of the test would use Greg Arce's Map Effect from SIMPLE MINDED (where two people pick the same spot on two different maps). This is the perfect size for someone to maneuver behind their back and mark the spot--and the second, larger map can be hanging behind their back as they do this.

Does anyone else have ideas like this they'd like to share? Since the booktest offers so many different possibilities, I'd like to know what other people have come up with.

JS
darkseance
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of darkseance
Yes, the FBT is a nice idea, I bought my paperback yesterday and began work on creating it, I'll post more once its finished and I've had a chance to learn and perform it.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Hey, do you have any ideas about staging the map effect I described above? Should the spec and the map be on opposite ends of the stage (as in the map is stage-right facing the audience and the spec is stage left facing the audience but turned away from the map--or some similar configuration)?

What I want is the facial expression when the spec turns around to look at the map. The audience should see the surprise. Do you think there's a quirkier way to do this?
mag1c kev1n
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of mag1c kev1n
I like BIp Best.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
I have it and think it is very good! it is a very nice Idea and I have made up two books!
took me 4 days though.
very nice a a casual looking effect.

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
A thought just came to me: if you make up a bunch of these and put them on a library cart, you can do a super-memory test under the guise of hypnosis-enhanced memory.

Briefly, hypnotists used to claim that someone could be hypnotized to remember every title in a library. So, you hypnotize someone--or yourself--while talking about enhanced memory, then, the librarian brings out an entire cart-full of books that your subject has memorized. Anyone can pick out any book and the hypnotized person can start calling out all kinds of things--even drawings in the books. Since the working is similar for all books, you can have actually work with two books at the same time. This has the potential to kill.

Would probably make a fine publicity stunt or TV effect.
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
507 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
Yes magic kevin but we know your views.

The bip book is a cheap magic prop.

Curt.
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Procyonrising, that's an interesting combinations of effects. Now I have to start playing around with it.
There goes another night's sleep.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Thanks. Normally, I'd worry about other people doing it, but there's so much to the Freestyle that no one in the audience could ever figure it out.

Thanks for putting this one out, Greg. It's really the most versatile book test I've ever seen.

Greg, has anyone else commented on the Freestyle? If so, what have they said?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
We've had nothing but good reviews from those that have either seen it or now own it.
Larry Becker, Banachek,Millard Longman, John Riggs and Gordon Bean have given it rave reviews.
There's more, of course, but it's late and I'm a little loopy at the moment.
I did state on another thread that there are some underground guys using it, but they don't like to talk about it.... they prefer to keep some secrets to themselves and this has become one of those secrets.
Most were happy that we were doing a short run of these CD so that too many don't get out there.
When we sell out of the 300 then that will be it. Forever!
Thanks to all that have gotten it and started playing around with all the possibilities.
Greg
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
That's awesome Greg.

Incidentally, I'm curious to hear what Becker had to say about the book test, since he's invented so much in regards to book test work.
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Greg (and to the people who bought it), do you think that the freestyle concept can be applied to any book in any language?
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I have many of my ideas for the FSBT currently on page 3 of Secret Sessions if you can get there. There's a bunch of stuff you might find fun.

I've come up with a lot more as well...but in keeping with Greg's 'underground', I'm keeping that to myself for now. Smile

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
BrainMagos, you can apply the concept in any language, but it will take a bit of work on your part.
Here's an example: we use the idea that in English mnemonic number lists the number 1 is remembered as Gun because it rhymes. In another language the number 1 is pronounced differently so it would have to be another word associated with it. I'm sure each language has its own mnemonic lists so you should be able to incorporate those.

Greg

Oh, Procyonrising, this is what Larry Becker said:

"The book test is really clever. Sort of a poor man's answer to Final Flashback and the MOAB. Keep that up and you'll put Becker & Earle out of business."

And by the way, I'm sure if we worked night & day we could never put Becker & Earle out of business because they are a creative force that's hard to stop... and why would you.

Greg
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
I think I understand what you mean Greg. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Wow, Greg, what a gracious statement from Becker. It's truly reflective of how cool the guy is.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2004-11-10 18:07, procyonrising wrote:
Wow, Greg, what a gracious statement from Becker. It's truly reflective of how cool the guy is.

Becker is the Hugh Hefner of Mentalism... he's cooler than cool.
Greg
darkseance
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of darkseance
Just another thought, the road or street doodle could actually be turned into a guided tour ala double vision, depending on page number could determine the relevant directions, ive already added small dots in the corners of some pages to indicate a certain "other" thing included on the page, I don't have to mention that these "other" things have been colour coded like you already suggested Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Nice, Darkseance.

Greg
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Greg, where are you selling this FBT? Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Freestyle Book Test (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL