The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Does anyone use David Roths 3 ball routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RS
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of RS
I bought it a while back and have never used it. It has sat in my magic chest for a while. Anyone ever use it? Anyone want it?
RS
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
Could U give a description of the routine?
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
It's a multi-phase routine based on "2 in the hand one in the pocket" routine popularized by Silent Mora and Vernon and others.

By the way, mine's sitting in the drawer too. It's not bad, I just don't do it because I have better stuff to do and I can't do everything.
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
I use it for walk around and small banquet. Silent Mora, Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, all had 3 ball routines. It fits in the coat pocket, isn't cards, coins or sponge, and yet can play for up to 50 persons easily. I like Roth's specific routine because of the unique steal-it works better with fakini small balls than it does will small ball bearings. For close-up, I end like Roth with a complete vanish of all the balls. On small banquet, I change the balls to 2"fakini.
David
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I've been using this routine for several years and its always been a big hit !
I learned from a Roth performance video and the two ball steal is credited to Ed Marlo.
A version is in Marlows book "Arcade Dreams "
Its definately worth working on !
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
I'll also throw my vote in favor of Roth's 3 Ball routine. It's basically the Scarne 3 Ball routine from "Stars of Magic", but done with the Pladek pop-up move. The key to making this routine convincing is to make the first two placements, and the last placements all look the same. Also, be aware that (depending on the size of your hands) you might find the routine is easier to do with larger or smaller balls.
Harold Cataquet
BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
David Roth is a wonderful teacher and his routine has started many, myself included, on the 3 ball path.

I do it with two people, one on each side, and vanish the balls at the end. If they are still holding their hands out to catch the balls just before the vanish, you have arrived.

As mentioned above there are more moves in "Arcade Dreams" than you can use. Great resource.

Great trick. bob.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You know, I have known David Roth for about 25 years, and I never would have suspected. It just goes to show you.

But it does explain a lot.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think that the net idea is good. It got me thinking...
I wonder if anyone has used the sheer silk idea with balls instead of coins (a la Ammar's coins thru silk) with this type of routine.

Sort of like a balls thru silk. Seems that mini billiard balls would work with the silk better than the rubber balls would.

Anyone?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
I don't use this routine!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Frank, I have been using the sheer silk for years! It works quite well no matter what the material of the ball is.

Mike
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Just brainstorming...
These are the ingredients:
-Roth/Marlo roll-up/pop-up move.
-3 balls on top of three cups
-the misdirection of Ammar as in his cups and balls where he loads a ball while doing a wandspin.
-everything as a phase in cups and balls.

For the adventurous;-)
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think Ammar's appearance is one of the best cups and balls moves there is.

Carl Andrews makes great use of it in the middle of his routine.

I do this in the middle of my cups and balls routine.

To me, It seems to me that the move is wasted, so early in Ammar's routine. It's too strong to do so soon.

Just my opinion.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I started with Roth's 3 ball routine, and later changed and now preform John Luka's 3 ball routine.

It has a story line, makes sense, and has color changes that add to the preformance IMO.

For those interested, get his book- L.I.N.T. by John Luka.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
MM, the problem with the Luka routine is that the stongest effect (three balls change colors) is in the beginning of the routine, not at the end.

However, that being said, it is a nice routine. For example, in the Luka routine, everything looks very natural; there are no "moves". I have seen many people ruin a 3 Ball routine with a poor Pladek roll-up move or a poor Hang Ping Chien. The Kort switch is easy to do, and looks very good. But, it is not as convincing in the penultimate display (ie, you can't show two balls in your hand before you place the third one on top). I use both moves in my routine.
Harold Cataquet
Charles Adams
View Profile
Regular user
Silver Spring, MD
156 Posts

Profile of Charles Adams
I tried to go to Roth's website to buy the routine. Does anyone know if David Roth's website has changed? When I go to: http://www.quicklink.com/~droth/ I get an "AMSOIL" site. Any clues??
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
I saw David perform, then explain this at a lecture last year. In his hands it was true magic. Unfortunately, I haven't taken the time to learn it.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
David roth lives on 12th street in NYC last I recall. Please contact him if you want to discuss his works.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Quote:
On 2004-11-25 22:54, Bill Palmer wrote:
You know, I have known David Roth for about 25 years, and I never would have suspected. It just goes to show you.

But it does explain a lot.

Bill, you crack me up.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Does anyone use David Roths 3 ball routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL