The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Supernatural Possessions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dove84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Dove84
I was browsing on the website http://www.themagicanarchist.com last night, and noticed they had a new product up for sale. This product is by James Watkins. The title of the manuscript is Supernatural Possessions. I decided to go ahead and order because I was satisfied with their last two releases, Extreme Measures and Phoenix Rising. After I got the manuscript I read through it, and thought this is a ton of bang for the buck.
In total there are six effects. Four of these are based on the Supernatural Possessions theme; the other two are bonus effects, which in my opinion could possibly hold as a separate manuscript. A few of these routines are nothing new, but the presentations sure breathe new life into old effects, which I think is great.
I will list the contents below and give a review of each routine as I see them, and how they would be used in the real world.
Bill Possession: I thought this one at first was going to be a little weak, but after reading it over again, I saw that this is a strong, visual piece of magic. The effect is familiar: A bill of any denomination is displayed and examined. The bill is then placed on the table, and with strong concentration the bill floats up to your hand. With help from the supernatural, you give the bill a fair squeeze, only to have it vanish. I will be honest; I have never really cared for the bizarre type themes, and the levitations of objects. But I can honestly say that this one is something I will be working on. The presentation in it is great and very logical and practical. This one is a real world user for sure. The tips given in it are also great. You will, of course, have to practice this, but it is for great end results. I give this particular piece an 8 out of 10.
No Way Out: This was stated to be the most powerful piece in the manuscript, and boy do I see why. The spectator is involved HEAVILY in this one, which I like. The effect is as follows in the manuscript: A ghost is drawn on a piece of paper and placed inside a glass. A card is now put on top of the glass trapping the ghost. With strong concentration and help from beyond, the spectator slides the card over with their mind, leaving an opening, enabling the ghost to fly out to your waiting hands. EVERYTHING is examinable before and after! Everything stated here is true. It really is a VERY powerful piece because of the involvement. The presentation for this one is just out of this world in my opinion. James did a great job with this one. This one would be a great user at a restaurant scenario, or something of that sort. I give this one my highest recommendation. 10 out of 10.
Mark of the Devil: This is a good one as well. This is a quickie, but definitely something you can use in the real world. The effect is as follows: A piece of paper is shown and examined by a spectator, and even marked if desired. The paper is crumbled and placed on the table. A candle, which is also on the table, is lit. After a moment of concentration, the paper floats up to the candle and makes contact. As a shocker, the paper goes up in a dramatic flash and vanishes. Nothing but a mere memory is left behind. This one is good. The bright flash at the end will definitely leave an impression on the spectator. This one is a great finisher for one of the bonus effects, as stated in the manuscript. The presentation for this one is also very good in my opinion. This, I would say is real world usable. I give this one an 8 out of 10 Mysterious Mark: This one, to be honest, is probably the weakest in the manuscript, but it does have its place. This is a card effect, and was put in here for a little variety. I think this would have made a better bonus effect than an effect in the supernatural Possessions theme. James gave this one a pretty good presentation, not something I would say, but this effect has a TON of potential, and I am glad James did put this one in here. The effect is: A blue backed card is selected and signed by a spectator. The card is cut into the middle of the deck very fairly. A piece of paper is introduced and it is explained supernatural forces will help locate the selection. The paper is crumbled into a little ball and lit. The ignited paper is thrown at the deck. In a sudden flash of fire, the paper has vanished. The deck is spread face down, and one red card is seen with a picture of the devil on the back. The card is turned over to reveal the signed selection. This one as well is real world usable; I just am not brave enough for the presentation. I give this one a 6 out of 10.
The Bonus Material: The God of Fire: This one is just pure out good. I love this one, and the presentation is just so fitting and logical. This one routine is worth the price of admission by itself. The effect is: A card is selected by a spectator and held onto by the spectator. A blank piece of paper is crumbled up and placed on the table in PLAIN view. Another piece of paper is introduced, and it is stated that with help from Hephaestus, the God of Fire, this piece of paper will help reveal their selection. This piece of paper is handed out for examination and is crumbled up. A lighter is now borrowed, and the piece of paper in your hand is lit and thrown at the piece on the table. In a sudden flash of fire, the lit piece of paper has vanished without a trace! The paper on the table is opened up only to reveal words now printed on it! Not only that, but the words reveal the selection! This one is so visual, and so hooking that I think it could have held up as a separate trick. This is the one that would make a perfect ender to Mark of the Devil. An outstanding routine. I give this one a 10 out of 10.
Kennedy’s Odyssey: This is a classic coins across routine by James. The effect is familiar to most, so I won’t even put the effect. Just know this is a pretty good version of it. I give this one a 7 out of 10.
FINAL THOUGHTS: This 29-page manuscript, with 29 pictures, is worth WAY more than 7 dollars. If I were James, it would be around 15-20. I hope he markets this one in hardback copy soon. I think this is a hell of a lot for your money, and this gets my highest recommendation. And I think it says a lot if Bill Palmer writes a Foreword for it. I think James has got a real winner here that can match up to his last production, Phoenix Rising. I think this shows as well James has a real love for the art and only wants to better it. I do want to say that this material will NOT be for everyone. The routines are basically a “Bizarre” type. James, keep up the good work. I give this entire manuscript an 8 out of 10.
Get this at http://www.themagicanarchist.com/supernatural.html
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Very sweet review Dove84.....I'm off to the website for a peek and probally a purchase. Thanks for bringing this one to light on the forum!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I got a sneak peek at it before it came out. James did a really nice job on this manuscript. If you want something different from the other guys -- get this e-book. At the price, you certainly can't beat it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
stevie1
View Profile
Regular user
perth,australia
180 Posts

Profile of stevie1
Nicely written review Dove,i haven't checked out that site for ages,so thanks for reminding me of it.Will have a look now..
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Hi,

I was pointed to this thread by another Café member via PM last night about a thread already being up about my latest. Sorry it took me a day to finally respond. I want to thank you dove for being the first to purchase this manuscript and post a review on it. You really took a lot of time getting in depth on every routine in it, and that is very appreciated.

I also want to thank Bill Palmer for helping me out through this whole proccess. He has helped me in more ways then I think he knows. I have also come to find out he is one of the nicest, and knowledgeable, people in magic. Thanks Bill.

Reguarding the manuscript:
I spent a little over four months working on this one. The main theme is NOT the tricks, but the presentation. I just felt like there were too many tricks, and not enough presentation in magic now-days. This is the first manuscript I have really took time to work on besides Phoenix Rising. I will be the first to tell you that all of this is not for everyone, and I respect the heck out of that. In the manuscript itself, I can't stress enough how I want YOU to do what best fits you, and how I want you to think for yourself.

I have now taken a drastic turn in magic and hopped onto the 'bizarre' bandwagon. To me, I just feel there is something about the after-life that makes magic more magical in its own way. That is why I made this entire manuscript on Supernatural Possessions. Those of you who get this I really hope you enjoy it. This will maybe, one day, see the light of day in a hard copy format. Thanks to the magic comunity for the constant support!

It has taken a lot of work to get this manuscript this far. A lot of Word documents, a lot of photographs, and a lot of patience on my part, and others as well. I want to thank The Magic Anarchist website for marketing it. Thanks again Dove for the nice review, and I am glad you liked the manuscript. Thanks again Bill Palmer!

P.S.
There will be NO demo video of this material considering it is all basically based on presentation.

Keep it real,
James Watkins
levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of levitate
Good stuff. James sent me the manuscript not long ago, and its definately worth taking a look at. WIth all the flashy magic out there with no substance or emphasis on presentation, its nice to see a manuscript that almost soley focuses on presentation. Good stuff.

Dont forget to check this out! (scheherazade too Smile),

Michael
Razzle Dazzle
View Profile
New user
Houston,Texas
17 Posts

Profile of Razzle Dazzle
Hey everyone, I decided to give this a go and can tell you I'm uber pleased. Good job, James, and hope to see more from you in the future. This really is an incredible amount of material for the price.
Peace,
Alex Martin
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Hi everyone,

I am sorry I haven't responded in a few days. My PC is on the verge of a crash, so I haven't been able to access anything. Thanks to everyone for their interest. I am also sorry to those of you who have e-mailed me and havn't received responses. I am getting right on that this second. Thanks for your kind words lev, and Razzle, I am glad you are enjoying this one as well, and thanks for the encouragement to release more of my stuff. If there are any questions at all, please feel free to contact me via PM or e-mail. My e-mail address is:

JamesWatkins16@hotmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Supernatural Possessions (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL