The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking vs Street Magic? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I do a lot of magic as I work. My job takes me to different locations throughout the day and I love going in some place and hear "Uh oh here comes the magicman." I do it just for entertainment though and not tips. Although I have to admit it sure would be nice if one of those cheapskates would tip! HA HA just kidding.
But I do find it keeps me busy practicing between shows---and that's good.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
442 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
I've got a crane all lined up for my levitation act...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
ferrari
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ferrari
Busking is for tips and staying in one spot and perfoming a show

street magic randam an impromtu strolling magic
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
442 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Staying in one spot is news to me...Why didn't someone tell me twenty years ago?

What you may perceive as random street magic (suddenly grabbing a watch thru a jewelry store's plate glass window or having a cop take off his shoe to find the ace of spades inside) has been set up days before and hardly impromptu.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
What Blaine does only appears to be "Street Magic."
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Blaine's use of the term "Street Magic" is a perfect example of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Blaine has a (potentially) dead/alive cat in a box?
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2114 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Yes, Blaine and Angel only APPEAR to be street-mages, but being the unscrupulous branch of magic that we are, we're happy to claim them for our genre.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
MF, you've usually been right on but I have to argue with you on this one. The only time I see Blaine or Angel mentioned on this board, it's by people who are ranting (with good cause) that they are NOT "street performers" and could never really make a living on the street without the cameras and stooges.

I like some of what both of them do. (I was glad to finally get to see the "torn apart illusion" that a magician used to do back in the 40's) but it's not stuff you could just set up on the street and perform in front of a random crowd.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2114 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Yes Ed, like I said theyre NOT street mages, they only pretend to be...and as a result all street-mages get to soak up the ill-gotten fame. BTW, I've seen Angel perform live on the streets of Miami, and although he did NOTHING even CLOSE to any of the stuff you see on mindfreak, his act was pretty good.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think I understand what you're saying. But I don't see buskers saying; "Watch me because I do was Blaine and Angel do!"

I don't see buskers deliberately attracting attention by claiming kinship with Blaine or Angel.
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Quote:
On 2004-11-13 01:27, Frank Starsini wrote:
A busker knows how to draw a crowd, keep a crowd, perform magic (or whatever) and gets tips (if they're good) at the end. Often they make a living from this.

To me a "street magician" is a new type of magician that doesn't really exist except on TV or in advertisements to sell more magic stuff.

Do you think David Blaine really wanders around the country in the streets doing tricks for people and all of a sudden a TV crew caught him "doing his thing"?

It's a great show but it's...a show.

Or are there really commando street magicians doing tricks all over in sunglasses for people and they're really cool, and all the girls nibble their lips and squeal becuase they can do a riffle pass? Or because they can tell everyone, "hey, everybody stand over here and I'll float... over there. Cool, eh? Oh, you saw? Oh, well, it's pretty cool though if you get your angles right."

Hmmmm, I'm not so sure.

But it makes for a good story and it sells product.

I also heard that "rounding the wagons" when the Indians attacked was a figment of Hollywood and nothing like that ever happened.

I cannot be sure but I've tried to think about this.
Could they really round wagons quickly? What would the radius be for a given number of wagons? How easy is it really to go in a circle. Did cowboys know what PI was?

Were you allowed to tell the Indians, "Go back and re-charge us in 5 minutes. We'll get an ellipse that time and there's quite a few gaps too."

I could be wrong about all of this. I just don't know.
I do wonder though.

"a new type of magician that doesn't really exist"??? Really?

"In times past, it was common to see street magicians in the boulevards of Paris, on English fairgrounds, in most of the villages of India, and in the exotic gardens of Japan" an excerpt from Street Magic by Edward Clafin in collaboration with Jeff Sheridan. Sorry guy. Street magic and street magicians have been around longer than any of us been alive and will last long after we are gone.

David Blaine simply used the medium of the 20th century to help bring magic back into the conciseness of the general public. People (laymen) that I meet have nothing but good things to say about David Blaine and that's good for us.

I would like to see more street magic footage on TV, in the theater, on my computer, and on the streets. We need to show the public that we are not bums or some annoyance to pity or ignore. We are artists and entertainers and this is the art we practice and perform in order to bring a bit more magic and wonderment into a world of layoffs, divorces, violence, and failing economies. Put a smile on their face and the world just got that much better.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Well, Frank's eyes have been opened. Smile
You know why don't act naive.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-01-07 09:36, Danny Hustle wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 19:01, whithaydn wrote:
Topology is "squaresville."

It's L7 daddieo. Smile

Best,

Dan-

Danny, I just got this. Took me 5 years. LOL.

eddierush,
Just like many others, I think you're confusing "busker" with "street magician".

Yes, there are buskers. They make a living (or a portion of it) out on the streets.
Street Magicians, as portrayed on TV, a la Blaine, etc. do not exist. It seems there was a brief fad in the past couple of years where teen-agers decided this is what they wanted to do (The Blaine thing). (There was even a magazine on the subject.) They spent their allowances on:
Ravens
Sunglasses
Black Tiger Decks
Fol***g Quarters

and told mom they were going downtown for a couple hours. The more intelligent of them realized it was:
1. pointless
2. bothered people
3. obnoxious

and stopped doing it a.s.a.p. And the magazine is no longer published.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
"And the magazine is no longer published."

A joyous thing indeed.
griffindance
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of griffindance
Although I have seen some talented people busking (ie appearing on the street,foisting themselves upon an unwilling audience and begging for money to end their show), this is rare and the street isn't where they stay for long. Of course the untalented ones do stay at the level of Beggar+1 on the pavement.

The thing with professionals is that we are asked for our skills. As entertainers our audiences find us. Whittling sticks into points and giving the now "carved artworks" to strangers doesn't make me a carpenter. Working as a "Street Magician" I was paid by a festival or the town council to entertain people in a certain area (Shopping/Restaurant district, High Street, Town Square) as a Strolling Close-up Magician.

However trying out a new effect for random passers by at a bus stop doesn't make me a busker or a "Street Magician." It just means that I can find a disposeable audience to experiment with. If the trick goes tits up then Ive lost no credibility in front of a paying audience. It doesn't make me anything. Just some weird guy who know a trick.

If you are serious about being a magician (and you don't have a TV special contract) leave the busking and 'street magic' to the time wasters. Get yourself a gig with a restaurant, audition with a talent agency and build from there. Busking is usually like accepting free gigs - they lead to more free gigs. As for "street magic," unless you're being paid for your time yo'e just a dorky weirdo who can do a trick.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Seriously Griffin?
A restaurant gig if you are serious about being a magician?
Shows what level you are really at. Foisting yourself on innocent diners who don't give a rats behind about your latest move monkey card trick. As a busker I do not foist myself on an unwilling public like an eatery magician. I do the show, they stop and watch. At the end I suggest that if they liked the show they drop a buck or two into the hat. A far cry from begging.

I do work street. I work big stages as well. I get a lot of the big stage work from my work on the street. However, busking by itself makes me a good amount.

Just because you are incapable of making money on the street don't put down those who can and are proud of what they do.
It is an extremely pure way to do things. You get paid what the public thinks you are worth. Turns out, a lot of the real buskers on here are worth quite a lot.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Well said -
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-03-01 15:07, HerbLarry wrote:
"And the magazine is no longer published."

A joyous thing indeed.

Actually, the very last magazine published by those guys was called simply "Magician" and if you ever get a chance, pick up a copy because it has some really, really great stuff in there.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
I've got enough great stuff and wouldn't let a dime go anywhere close to the ownership.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking vs Street Magic? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL