The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index The side walk shuffle Busking vs Street Magic? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'd like to see someone do a real television show on buskers. (Given the attention span of most television viewers, sorry to say the acts would have to be broken up.) Maybe with interview sessions in between. (We film the shows, then we go to Johnny Rockets and talk about the shows, then an editor screws it all up and we get angry at the television people for messing us up!)
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
We? When did you become a busker? TURTLES!

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! Im so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Still no turtles at the Mystery Lounge, oh well...
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Sorry Marty! It was great to meet ya' though!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! Im so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2112 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
To Mandrake, I'm sure I've seen buskers featured on a number of news / variety shows.

To Danny........Okay, I KNOW I'm gonna regret asking this, but....what exactly do you mean when you refer to 'turtles' on these threads?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
flooglestreet
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of flooglestreet
For what its worth, I had to work in the same resort town as a guy who did hit and run magic. He knew invisible thread and pretty much nothing else, but he was a natural entertainer. He also had a couple of lines to get big bills. He could approach people do his show and collect while I was still building a crowd. Every once in a while I feel like the cartoon magician in the Idiots or the Dummies magic book. The middle eastern looking crowd is saying "The carpenters son is raising the dead and walking on water" and the magician says to himself "Oh great now who's going to want to see my disappearing date pit." This guy did it for me. People liked seeing my show after the Blaine specials because Blaine made street magic fashionable. On the down side, they asked me to levitate which I can't do. Bottom line, the hit and run works for at least one person and if it works for you, then you would be foolish to follow "approved street magic" methods. Tarbell often wrote that you have to follow your own path and the street magic vs busker approach is one example of the principle. Smile
If ya wanna be the Top Banana, Ya gotta start at the bottom of the Bunch (Johnny Mercer)
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2112 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Flooglestreet,

Bravo,bravo,standing-o! Your post rocks!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-03-05 13:34, The Mighty Fool wrote:
To Mandrake, I'm sure I've seen buskers featured on a number of news / variety shows.

Not as many as I'd like. And I'd like to see something more oriented toward them as opposed to just a 3 minute sound bite.
Quote:
To Danny........Okay, I KNOW I'm gonna regret asking this, but....what exactly do you mean when you refer to 'turtles' on these threads?

It's a Danny-thing. It's been decided by TPTB that it's "charmingly eccentric."

And Danny, I've come to the conclusion that I'm never going to be the 'busker' you and the others here are. I'm going to be a 'weekend warrior' for what's left of my ability to perform. And I'm OK with that.

But I am a member of this board and can say "we" if I want to.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
WEEEEEE!!!! TURTLES!!!!

I LIKE IT! Smile

Best,

Dan-

Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mandrake, What the heck is "TPTB?" BTW, it's not just a "Danny thing." Notice that other people have turtled you also.

We all like turtles!!
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
TPTB="The Powers That Be"

as opposed to

SMOF="Secret Masters of Fandom"

although here maybe it should be

SMOM="Secret Masters of Magic"

or even SMOB="Secret Masters of Busking"

And those other people are just jumping on Danny's bandwagon! The turtle thing is his and his forever!
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
WEEEEE! TURTLES!!! Smile

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You win, you're much better and finding weird turtle stuff than I am.

Mind you, it's easy for you 'cause 'you like turtles!'

:D
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
WEEEEE!!! TURTLES!

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4826 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 23:56, mandrake01 wrote:
Just for Danny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRq3E2ylB4g&NR=1

Is it just me, or does Touche's sidekick look a lot like Danny? That might explain this weird turtle thing he has going. Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I didn't notice. Does Danny sound like Fred Flintstone? 'Cause "Dum Dum" does.
Vangorn
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Vangorn
Quote:
On 2004-11-15 09:17, MagiUlysses wrote:
The name of the magi who first moved magic indoors escapes me and is on the tip of my tongue but I cannot seem to translate that to my fingers and the keyboard; however, that event occured not more than a couple of hundred years ago.

It was Houdin.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2680 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-04-22 07:37, Vangorn wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-11-15 09:17, MagiUlysses wrote:
The name of the magi who first moved magic indoors escapes me and is on the tip of my tongue but I cannot seem to translate that to my fingers and the keyboard; however, that event occured not more than a couple of hundred years ago.

It was Houdin.

I have a book, "The Art of Magic" by Carl Waldman & Joe Layden, it states; "Isaac Fawkes (ca. 1675-1731) of England originally was a fair and outdoor performer. [snip] Fawkes eventually rented a room to present his magic show in James Street near the Haymarket. He left his show to his son, Fawkes the Younger."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index The side walk shuffle Busking vs Street Magic? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL