The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Zig Zag Lady (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
I was looking for an effect for my zigzag

What kind of silk production or whatever would you use for the silk in the hand of the assistant in the box???

I was thinking of the flash cord to silk but it doesn't seem too professional why would I have a peice of thread on me by mistake what would you suggest and please not the ultimate dancing hank I don't wanna fuss w. that
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Nothing

Just do the wonderful effect as it is.

Never did Harbin any harm.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I think doing some magic with the hank would be a mistake. The entire reason for the assistant to hold the silk is to show that it is actually her hand that continuously shows. There are no switches or fake hands when the girl is divided. I think if you do something tricky with the silk, the audience would miss the subtle reminder that nothing tricky happened. After all, if it were a trick handkerchief, it could just as well be a trick hand.

One possible good solution would be to borrow a handkerchief and do an effect like knife through the handkerchief or a burned and restored handkerchief as a segue effect into the Zig-Zag.
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
I have to agree...don't gild the lily. The Zig-Zag is about the lady and the blades, not the silk. Just take the silk from the breast pocket of your jacket or have it preset on one of the Zig-Zag shelves. Smile

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I would do a little dance with a scarf before I went inside the zig zag.

after when my middle section was moved I would wiggle my toes and hand then he would give me the scarf in the hand. while they moved my middle section back my hand and the scarf would come thru the hole. I do my costume change with my scarf in hand and come out.

I think that made sense...its been a long time since I've done that illusion.

I am not sure if that is what your talking about or not. but it doesn't take anything away from the illusion.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
Costume change in zig zag that's crazy! is there enough space for it?
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Of course.
I also did a costume change in a hindu basket too.

but then my dad built 4 zig zags all fit around meand made sure I can do a costume change...plus he also made the costumes.

there are pictures of it I think on the website. there's a link that will take you to the magic one if you read the bio.

www.mai-ling.net
LarryTaylor
View Profile
New user
Miamisburg Ohio
72 Posts

Profile of LarryTaylor
Ms. Marshall’s idea is wonderful. Ideas do not come cheap. I think you have a winner there.
Magical Entertainer,teacher and creative consultant.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
I remember those pictures in my younger days (I was 22 in 1982), and I thought wow, how cool of a thing that is with father and daughter and a small zigzag.

God, Im getting OLD LOL.
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
It can be done. I've also changed costumes in the Zig-Zag...it's not easy, but worth it. Smile

Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Hey guys;
The zig zag has always been a favorite of mine. My assisstant and I specialize in quick changes as well as illusions. In the costume she starts out wearing for the zig zag, there is a silk pinned to her hip in a bow. When she is standing in the cabinate before I close the doors, she puts her right hand to her hip at the bow and her left at the upper left of the cabinate. Then when the doors are closed her hands come out, one holding the silk still tied into a bow. For us this has a connection as to where the silk came from. At the end I do a quick "through the hand" color change of the silk before the reveal of one of the new costumes. I hope this helps.

Magically yours,

Matt
googoodolls
View Profile
New user
Colorado
71 Posts

Profile of googoodolls
I love to perform this trick so day it is an amazing affect and I still don't know exactly how it is done but I am sure I want to perform it someday
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
I thought it would be cool if you put flash string on the blad so when you move the midell over you can lite it I thought that would be cool
your friend Kyle

Click here to view attached image.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-11-16 20:31, ricker wrote:
I remember those pictures in my younger days (I was 22 in 1982), and I thought wow, how cool of a thing that is with father and daughter and a small zigzag.

God, Im getting OLD LOL.

its a great that you remember that!
:D

I remember too...and I was 4 when the first was built.

Quote:
On 2004-11-16 20:26, LarryTaylor wrote:
Ms. Marshall’s idea is wonderful. Ideas do not come cheap. I think you have a winner there.

I may have performed the trick that way...but it wasn't my idea.

It was my father's idea.
He's not only a very clever magician,
but quite inventive too!

www.mai-ling.net
kristel
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
87 Posts

Profile of kristel
Add a little touch of comedy with the silk and a REEL magic touch! As you put the silk in the hand of your assistant, she drops it once, twice and at the third drop look at her face and up goes the silk in her hand. I don't think that a short comedy with your silk could hurt the ZigZag illusion effect.

ANDRE LE MAGICIEN
Excuse my french...from Quebec Canada!
Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
WARNING! If you have a Zig Zag... NEVER perform it without reading what Robert Harbin says about the routine in his book.

The single most important part of the ROUTINE is to have a spectator PUSH the middle section (before putting the blades in).

"It stopped," Harbin says, "Do you know why? It's because the lady is in there."

He then, with the middle pushed part way, puts the blades through... that is why they are NARROW, because the section is now NARROW.

Once the blades are in, he then has the spectator (always a lady) push again.

THAT IS THE CLIMAX.

The look on spectator's face is the magic, when she now pushes and there is no resistance and the section goes all the way.

Read the Book for more details.

Believe me, I had a looooooooooooooooong conversation with Harbin about this.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Very interesting Pete. I have seen the Zig Zag a lot of times and I have never seen anyone do it this way! It's details like this that make a trick into a miracle. I also understand that LeRoy used to make a hoop to pass over the floating lady by bending a long cane into a circle. This proved there was no gap in the hoop. Again, I've never seen anyone do this, but it is a fantastic idea!

Thanks,
Richard
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Pete is 100% correct, which is the way I do the zigzag.

RTHB (Read The Harbin Book)
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
That doesn"t answer my question!

Jack
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
Quote:
On 2004-11-23 20:35, ricker wrote:
Pete is 100% correct, which is the way I do the zigzag.

RTHB (Read The Harbin Book)

lol!!! NICE I LOVE THE SHORT FORM "RTHB"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Zig Zag Lady (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL