We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help working with foam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
I want to make a partial human figure (that will be fully clothed) using foam (the compressible type such as used in pillows, not hard like styrofoam), so that the figure can be hidden in a small space, assume its expanded shape when released, then quickly be stuffed back into the small space.

Questions:
1. What specific type of foam would be best for this application?
2. What is the best way to carve/cut the foam?
3. What glue/bonding works best for adhering pieces of foam together?
I appreciate any assistance.
Bruce
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Buying pillow foam is easy at a furniture repair or some fabric stores. It comes in grades I believe 1 through 5, with 5 being the hardest. Think about a comfortable couch pillow you sit on. This might be a four or a five. I used fives on my couch. Any grade will be compressable enough for what you want depending on size. If you figurine is large, go with a lower grade.

Carving and cutting? are you an artist? a good sharp pair of scissors will work just fine. Buy a cheap piece for practice. Persoanlly I would never try to cut something as detailed and delicate as a human face, but that is me.

The glue part is tough. Epoxy will work fine, but the catch is you will lose elasticity on the area that is glued. What might work better is to sew part of the figures clothes to what ever it is to be connected to.

Hope this helps.

Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Cliff is spot on, use a set of old clothes and baste stitch the foam into place inside the clothes.
Don't lose the little bits you trim off the foam as you can use it in small spots or to fillin gloves, etc. for hands.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Shenaniganz
View Profile
New user
Cypress, CA
100 Posts

Profile of Shenaniganz
My family runs a reupholstery business- You should use a spray adhesive like 3M FoamFast 74 Spray Adhesive. This stays flexible, and can be used to attach fabric to foam rubber, as well as foam to foam.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hey shenaniganz,
Think your familt could help me with an old beat up couch (G)

Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
The bestm tool for cutting that type of foam is an electric carving knife like you would use on a turkey at thanksgiving.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
How bout a dremel tool for the carving?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help working with foam (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL