The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre magick and mirror boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
441 Posts

Profile of scolman
Has anyone ever used one of these for a bizarre routine. I have been interested in these for a while (I have a slight obsession with boxes in general). Most of them are obviously quite brightly coloured and used in stage/kids routines but that could be changed quite easily with a coat of paint and some epoxy putty.
I was thinking of getting one that looks a bit casket (coffin)like and building a routine around that.
Simon
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
While I have not thought of using it in bizarre, the obvious comes to mind (let us suppose this full spectrum lamp DOES act like the sun....Is our hapless victim home sleeping in his box? (bwa ha haaaa)
and then the less obvious, whether box or duck bucket, of course the right incantation and spell bits mixed into the container will yeild....NO! It cannot be?! ot IS!!!....(fill in the blank yourself)!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
I've toyed with the idea of doing a "Pandora's Box" type bit that incorporated a couple of different "mirror" techniques. In that this is a mysterious box of plenty from which all of Hades breaks free, the "portable" version would use the standard "Drum" base (see Abbott's "Girl from Drum" illusion)but the larger, more deluxe version would lean more towards the "Million Dollar Mystery" load system... after all, one of the original routines done with said bit, was a Spook Cabinet... something you don't see done in today's market (everyone's hooked on the 3-Ghosts a.k.a. "Things go Bump" routine and tend to ignore the other two or three dozen bits this device was designed to deliver.)

Mirrored units (bases) have not been all so common place in the past 30 years. For this reason, they can allow us to better fool the eye and cause the audience to gasp a bit. I remember seeing footage of the late Richard Tutacco (sp?) and his "Into the Night" show. In the opening he used two small Mirror Boxes from which dancers in Halequin costumes emerged. It was simply beautiful and really decieved the eye. Though I knew what it was, it was still a very stunning bit of business when dressed up in appropriate theatrical guise.

When it comes to Bizarre Magick I believe the revival of this kind of technique could prove very powerful and allow us to get away with a heck of a lot. As they say, the window dressing is what will make the sell. So play with it and play with old legends and lore that involved locked boxes and cabinets of mystery.

Best of luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre magick and mirror boxes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL