The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking for Ventriloquism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Just interested to know if anyone has done ventriloquism as a busking item.

If so, can I know if there are such resources on the Internet?
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
One night, I had just finished busking for the day and this girl came up to me and asked me about it. Turns out she was a vent artist and had won awards but hadn't done it for a while. I really encouraged her. Haven't seen her though.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I think a vent act would work a treat on the street. ANY form of true variety entertainment will work on the street.

Stand up comedy, vent, dance, anything. If you want to busk and you are willing to stick it out until you learn the ropes it will work.

If you are not good you will very rapidly become good if for no other reason than repetition develops timing, comfort, and polish. It can not be helped.

I say get out there and do it!

All the best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
It works. I believe the best paid busker in the country is a vent, The Dead Dan Show. The troop (vent, musician and girl singers) only play in the rarified air of festival. They have fan clubs and promoters advise fans to arrive an hour early to get a seat. The 'hat' takes twenty minutes becouse everybody drops it. It's largely repeat crowds and they set with money in their hands. Oh, the vent (Dan is the figure, a life-size skeleton) wares a burlap mask that covers his lips.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Constantine -
Unless there is a ripoff artist around, you are thinking of 'Ded Bob'. He plays Ren Fairs mostly.

http://www.dedbob.com

I have never seen him, but his legend proceeds him.

Peter G
http://www.funnymagic.com
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
There is another ventriloquist out there who (unlike Dead Bob's operator) himself dresses as a skeleton, and whose vent figures are various repulsive characters--is that "Dead Dan" perhaps?
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
662 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
The last time I saw Michael, he was using a vent. I don't know how well he did making the transition from magic to ventriloquism but he was making the switch gradually. That was 7 or 8 years ago.
In Boston's Harvard Square Igor Fokin (no umlaut here apparently) held court with his marionette figures. What a great show.
I've also seen giants. For a festival setting, they're a sure draw. Big draw.
But with the possible exception of Michael, I've never seen anyone else venting...unless you happen to catch a glimpse of whatever Gazzo has in his pocket.
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Sorry, I got my dead guys confused. Ded BOB is the vent. Amazing act.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have to correct you on this. Ded Bob is not a vent act. Smudge (Clark) does not do vent. His face is covered. Bob is simply a talking puppet.

Now, regarding busking with vent, certainly you could do it.

One of the best busking acts I have ever seen was a puppet act I saw in Salzburg. The fellow had a marionette that was made up to look like Duke Ellington. This marionette played the piano -- a miniature piano. The marionette wore a pair of shades. When you dropped a coin or bill into the cup on the top of the piano, the marionette would stop playing the piano, raise his shades and look into the cup. There was a mercury switch or a thumb switch on the rig that stopped the music when the marionette lifted his shades.

Although he got mainly change, the bit worked because it invited repitition.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I tried it once....once.

Parents would bring their kids up to see the 'talking frog,' then they would smile, say, "Thank you," and walk off without tipping a cent.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Ventriloquism kills and I mean KILLS. If you are good, you'll make bank.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-11-18 11:32, In Boston's Harvard Square Igor Fokin (no umlaut here apparently) held court with his marionette figures. What a great show.

Igor was the best and you never met a sweeter soul. He is still missed by the locals.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2004-11-18 17:52, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
I tried it once....once.

Parents would bring their kids up to see the 'talking frog,' then they would smile, say, "Thank you," and walk off without tipping a cent.

Steve

Maybe the frog needed to be more vocal???

The Ded Bob site is a hoot! I'd pay to see that act.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
I knew a guy who pulled huge crowds with a vent act (in New York City). I want to say Anthony Thomas, but my memory's rusty. Really sweet and funny guy though.

He did all kinds of gigs, street being one of them.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
It would seem that it could be a lot of fun to have "two people" doing the hat lines. You could play off each other well.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2126 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Ded Bob has the sort of life that other performers really envy. And what an act!! I've seen buskers doing marrionete work with the puppet lip-synching and dancing to local popular music, and it did great! And I'm sure there are some cool & clever ways in which vent & magic could be combined....
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Steve said:
"Parents would bring their kids up to see the 'talking frog,' then they would smile, say, 'Thank you,' and walk off without tipping a cent."

Did you ask for tips? Maybe you should have had the figure ask for the money to make it work.

When I was in Phoenix AZ, not much busking going on there but I do remember a ventriloquist who worked the crowds before and after the Ball Games at the BOB (Bank One Ballpark). It has been a few years so I don’t know if he is still working or not. But he seemed to do okay working small groups with a short show. The kids seem to love the guy and the folks always seemed to give the kid a buck or two for the show, I know I did.

Anyone know if this VENT is still working the BOB?

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are so many ways to have a figure ask for tips! A frog could say, "I didn't tip a wizard and he turned me into a magic frog. Watch out!"

People will take all kinds of brash lip from a vent figure that they won't take from a regular person.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I've only seen one vent husker. (This was years ago when I lived in NYC.) His vent work was actually very good, but his delivery needed serious work. His routine consisted of: vent sets himself up, figure delivers punchline/insult, vent tugs angrily at figure's lapel to get him to shape up! After his act, I left him change (this was the 70s, we could do that back then) and told him how good his vent work was and that he needed work on his material. Never saw him again.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I didn't realize vents had husks. I always thought they came out of their shells quite nicely.

You learn something every day.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking for Ventriloquism? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL