We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are mentalists as gullible as everyone else? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2249 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
He has not met me yet, that is why he thinks so.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wolflock take a snowball with you if tiy are going to H E Double Hockey Sticks.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2030 Posts

Profile of jimtron
I understand that many believers of paranormal powers don't feel that the burden of proof is on them, but it seems to me that it would be very simple for one person to make one demonstration to prove the ability. That would put the skeptics in their place.

If you can predict the future, why not post predictions here at the Café, and we can all see how accurate they are? I don't understand why it would be difficult to prove supernatural abilities. I do understand that many paranormals have no desire to prove it, but just one demo under strict test conditions would really go a long way, considering this has never been done successfully (as far as I know).
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1155 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Fernando,

since you want me to take up your challenge, I sat back last night and tried contact. I was not sure what happened as I was in a trance however these are my notes.

It appeared to be from a woman. The handwriting was light and delicate, She spoke of a man named Ron or Ronny, she spoke of the name Aelita, she spoke of a love, a true love a deep love, she thanked you for giving this girl this love, she spoke of a "spotted Leopard, she said you would know what this personal reference meant!"

She said I should pass this on to you Fenando.

How was that? Emotional enough for you, direct enough. Have you fainted straight away?

Okay, enough fun now, I am out of here!
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Fernando
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Fernando
I am afraid that you will not be getting the Randi prize since I haven't the slightest idea what you are
talking about. And anyway even if I did the old *** wouldn't give it to you anyway as you well know.

You have not won the Higginson prize either. Gordon has informed me through the spirit world that you are a fake. However as co sponsor of the prize I have asked him to make an exception in your case since I sense that business has been a little quiet lately.

He will therefore be sending you a cheque for 100,000 pounds sterling from the spirit world. It may take several centuries to get to you of course since it does come rather a long way.

In one hour's time I have a mentalist friend coming in to see me. He talks rather a lot as most mentalists do and he is bringing a copy of your DVD. I will now be able to see why business is a bit quiet for you lately.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2030 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Fernando:

"Gordon has informed me through the spirit world that you are a fake."

What a coincidence! I was just informed through the spirit world that *you* are a fake! My spirit world info is more accurate than yours, by the way.

Warmest,

Jim
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
My contact just informed me that Evrey one who is Naught will not get any presents this year from Santa so be good All.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1744 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
In 1998, illusionist Andre Kole and I coauthored "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena." In the forward, Andre mentions the $25,000 award that he began to offer several years before to anyone who could demonstrate to his satisfaction a psychic ability or phenomenon.

The personal challenge goes on to state: "Although specific rules would cover each individual's claim, we would simply ask the claimant to perform the specified phenomenon under our prescribed test conditions."

While Andre was touring Russia in 1993, one gentleman came forward who claimed that he could astral project. A boxlike cover was placed over the individual's head and he was asked to astral project to the opposite side of a blackboard just a few feet away and read the simple sentence that was written on the board.

His response was incorrect - in fact, not even close. Consequently, Andre returned to the US with his $25,000.

One of the reasons Andre has kept the reward money low in comparison to Randi's award is so that there won't be discussions about whether or not the money is really available. Andre has always said it would be worth the $25,000 to find someone with the ability.

Unfortunately, apart from the Russian gentleman, we always hear the cop-outs about why a person who claims the ability will not submit to the tests.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Darn...

I thought we were about to see a "my spirit world is better than your spirit world" brouhaha.

Have fun everyone.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
This IS fun....

Seems that Steve has paid a visit to http://www.mental-list.com!

I'm siding with Fernando. I think his assessment of Randi's one-sided and impossible-to-win challenge is very accurate. He's certainly gotten more publicity and money from it than escapology!

As for who should prove what, I think those who shout "fake, fraud or scam" should back up their claims.

(Does anyone have the video of Randi unsuccessfully trying to prove firewalking a fake? I have/had it, and can't find it. It is a wonderful clip... he gets very flustered when the walk takes place and he grumbles something to the effect of "well... it's NOT supernatural". Boy! Big debunk there! That sure shut up the firewalkers!!!! Smile Anyone got it? Please PM me if you do. I'd love a copy.)

Randi's Peter Popoff exposure sure got Randi good exposure. But no damage to the reverend... or his believers: http://www.peterpopoff.org/

Regarding the prediction comment: I think your request is valid, Jimtron. Only the skeptics such as Randi would scream "vague, too general, or too obvious" when accurate. It should be noted, it is done regularly by psychics.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The difference between what Houdini did and Randi does is huge. Houdini did fraudulent exposure. He created outlandish explanations and stunts to "Look" like he was crushing the spiritualists, but exposed nothing. Randi, TT in hand goes on television *exposing* real methods.

Ironically, Houdini was outcast for exposing nothing, and Randi is embraced for exposing a lot.

Weird.

Cheers folks! Thanks to Fernando and Steve for making my day! I truly and sincerely am enjoying this fun banter!!

Stuart Cumberland
Stuart Cumberland
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2030 Posts

Profile of jimtron
By firewalking are you talking about walking on hot coals? Because if I'm not mistaken, anyone can do that without any special powers.

Also; do you think it's unfair to call predictions too vague? Obviously, anyone could make accurate prophecies if they're vague enough.

Anyone want to take the Magic Café prediction challenge? Start making predictions here, the more specific the better? Maybe we could start a thread, where everyone is welcome to make as many predictions as they wish, and we can see who the true psychics are?
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
Jimtron: yes, same thing.

You should have been at the PEA convention a few years ago. Apparently NOT "anyone" can walk the same coals and not get burnt... curiously, most who did get burnt took the excercize lightly... and quite a few skeptics refused to do it (but complained loudly later).

It's a funny, funny world we live in...

BTW, here's an interesting take on Randi and his 1 million dollar challenge. Very interesting indeed: http://www.survivalafterdeath.org/articl......andi.htm
Stuart Cumberland
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2030 Posts

Profile of jimtron
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2004-11-24 18:03, Fernando wrote:
As a psychic reader Fernando is highly ethical and is one of the most compassionate people that I have ever met.

Lol, I can tell that !
Quote:
I can never shut Paul up once he starts. We have a lot in common.

Now things seem to be getting clearer, lol !
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Oh it is true, although it may be difficult to tell from his posts, (Fernando does make his living as a psychic) he is actually quite compassionate towards those he does readings for. He is also quite ethical turning away business from people who begin to rely too much on what he has to say since he knows how reckless of him this would be. (I see someone's aura on a business card??hhmmm??) And P.P. is a fine fellow as well. They are creative, witty and a lot of fun to be around.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Thanks for "clearing" that up RJE. For "so-called" new users, you guys do have quite a handle on how to work this forum.
Regards
John
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Cheers John! After all isn't this the entertainment business?
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
842 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Fernando tells me that he has now been banned from this board. Naturally he has no idea why.

John seems to be implying that I , Fernando, and RJE are the same person. If this is the case it can easily be disproved. Perhaps he can clarify his post.

Banachek himself can verify who I am since he has actually met me in person.
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2004-11-24 17:58, jimtron wrote:
How to firewalk:

http://skepdic.com/firewalk.html

Actually its not true that anyone can walk on hot coals without burning themselves or even walk across safely. Its also true that some people cannot stay in a room with a spider in.

The whole purpose of fire walks isn't to prove supernatural powers but over come a huge natural fear of walking bare foot over hot coals.

The idea is that this new expanded boundary disiates to other areas of life and allows the participants to experience more freedom.

Its also a metaphore for overcoming any obstacle....

Jeez I wish sceptics would do their homework before coming all over as all knowing...
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2030 Posts

Profile of jimtron
My post about firewalking was in response to Master Mystifier's post: ..."Does anyone have the video of Randi unsuccessfully trying to prove firewalking a fake?"

My point was that firewalking does not require supernatural abilities. I guess we're in agreement on that. Did Randi really try and fail to prove firewalking fake?

Am I the skeptic that is "coming all over as all knowing..."? Was it this: "Because if I'm not mistaken, anyone can do that without any special powers."

I figure I'm galaxies away from "all knowing," so if I'm giving the opposite impression I'd sure like to correct the error.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are mentalists as gullible as everyone else? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL