We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are mentalists as gullible as everyone else? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1441 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Here's something to think about:

Do you believe in the concept of infinity? If infinity exists, then by definition all things are true and false simultaneously. So ESP exists and doesn't exist.

So there you go!

:)
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3744 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Lengthy posts...passionate on both sides.

Here's the thing: I can't imagine doing a mentalism performance if my CHARACTER didn't believe he was doing it for real. Whatever I believe is irrelevant.

I'm not sure that Christopher Lee had to believe in the existence of vampires in order to play one.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18022 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If there is no scientific evidence for what you think you are doing...it could possibly be something else, WHAT that something else is - is the interesting part (for me)...

some people are in a rush to claim what that "something" is..."oh, its just b*llsh*t, they're scamming, they're delusional..." - though there might be evidence for some people doing/being that...its a big ask to label ALL that do that something with the same comment...

there's a huge gulf between a possibility and the stark science of something...both can be equally as beautiful in different ways... the differences between those two things is also beautiful...

my mum and dad met by chance...huuuuuuuuuuuge, vast, crazy chance...

dad was in the navy at the time
the secretary college my mum was in had the chance to write to a serviceman
they would not know who their letter would be given to, nor which of the armed forces
just so happened my mum's one went to my dad, who was in the royal navy
they wrote to each other for a year before speaking to one another
all the time my dad going from country to country, japan, india, mexico, pretty much everywhere
every letter made it across, from both sides
they finally spoke
they continued writing for another six months
eventually met on the isle of wight
while all this was going on, he was shot at in vietnam (before the war started)
missed being bombed by the IRA by about five minutes
though he didn't miss the crate that fell on his head and gave him concussion
he babysat royalty
he went on patrols in dangerous areas, with nothing but wooden bullets in a gun everyone had to borrow
and my mum's adoptive mum (her real mum's sister) forbade my mum from ever writing to this sailor fellow
everything was kept secret by her friends
my mum upped sticks to live with my dad's relatives on the isle of wight until he had some leave
fell in love, got married, together for over 50 years

huge odds...

depending on your belief - its huge random chances, fate, or something else inbetween...

these things happen though... possibilities are fascinating...
NEW - ECCE LOQUOR - how to read anything
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/ecce-loquor/paperback/product-24204371.html

BIG SALE ON...no code needed...
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Aha Naval blood. That explains the powerful 'tache genes.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18022 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Indeed... though my dad favoured something called MDGs...

remind me later to tell you what it stands for - basically, you grew two perfectly square shapes, high on each cheek, opposite the nostrils...
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/ecce-loquor/paperback/product-24204371.html

Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On 2014-02-09 20:43, Ben Blau wrote:
Here's something to think about:

Do you believe in the concept of infinity? If infinity exists, then by definition all things are true and false simultaneously. So ESP exists and doesn't exist.

So there you go!

:)

How so?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18022 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think its the same basis of the monkey/typewriter thing...that due to things being infinite there is always the possibility for something to come into being...

VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1863 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Don't believe? Fine. But if your argument hinges upon your knowledge of a CT or whatever, then that's a pretty weak, lame argument. It also borders on smug. In other words, being a trickster says nothing about the level of one's intelligence, or how deeply one has studied and considered the field of PSI.

Any Joe Schmo can read a magic book.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5687 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yup, gullible... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1441 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On 2014-02-10 08:21, IAIN wrote:
I think its the same basis of the monkey/typewriter thing...that due to things being infinite there is always the possibility for something to come into being...

Sure, but the concepts go way beyond that. If there is such a thing as infinity, all things have occurred an infinite number of times, and also have not. This pushes the limits of the human intellect to comprehend. It is possible that what we conceive as the notion of infinity is a byproduct of human intellectual capacity, and we are incapable of even asking the right questions about the true nature of existence in the first place!

If you accept that infinity exists, then it is impossible for anything to be false (or true), for to think otherwise contradicts the meaning of the
Word.

What gets tricky, is the rejection of infinity. That has religious implications, which I won't touch with a ten foot pole in a public forum.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2818 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Oh come on Ben, you can reject infinity without implicating religion!
psychicir
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of psychicir
There is definitely such a thing as infinity. This thread by the very length of it proves it.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2818 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, psychicir wrote:
There is definitely such a thing as infinity. This thread by the very length of it proves it.

Too funny! Though there goes my guilty pleasure of being a "thread killer" back on 2/10.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are mentalists as gullible as everyone else? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL