The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » magic club (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
I am 13 and nobody in my grade/school is interested in magic at all. None of my teachers are either. Would I be better off to join SAM or IBM? Would my parents have to pay to go with me, because I am obviously not going by myself.
Philip.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2926 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Hi Philip,
You could join the SYM. Society of Young Magicians. If you check out their website, they will be able to stear you in the right direction. Just type in SAM in the search engine. I don't have the address at my finger tips. Yes, it's nice to be around other people who share your enthusiasm. Do you have a local Magic Store around where you live? They can point you in the right direction too. I'm sure others here at the Cafe will be responding soon.
David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Your parents would not have to pay if all they are going to do is drop you off at the meeting place and then pick you up when the meeting is over. If they actually want to sit in with you and participate then they will have to pay...

I second the recommendation for the SYM which is the subsection of the SAM for young people. As part of your membership you get a nice monthly publication with magic info targeted towards teenagers. It is also cheaper to join the SYM than it is to join the SAM.

Check out http://www.magicsam.com/jointhesam.html under the Young Membership heading for more info. I am currently a member of the SYM and I enjoy it. I do not attend meetings though as I am very busy and the closest meeting is too far away from where I live.

Its only 20.00 so if you end up not liking it then its not the end of the world.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Don't worry you have 2,707+ members of the magic cafe who share your magic enthusiasm.
Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
Thanks! I went to the SYM site and they only have a SAM, not a SYM near me. Would it be good to still go with SAM? Thanks again. -Philip
Steven the Amusing
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
117 Posts

Profile of Steven the Amusing
Absolutely! Go wherever you are accepted and feel comfortable. No SAM, FCM or IBM chapter I am aware of will turn you away on the first visit unless they have a member-only event. Even if your parents are not interested in sitting through the whole thing you might ask them to sit through one. This will put them at ease and might spark an interest, too.

PS You might want to say what large city you live in or near and we can give you some more specific information.
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
Thank you so much, I live near Grand Rapids, MI.
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Advice I often give to young magicians in the UK is to do a search on one of the better Internet Search Engines (I use Google, but most will do) for the name of the city / town where you live and the word magic.

This will often turn up a local magician (or several, if you are lucky) and/or a local magic club.

Either way, it's the first step on the route to finding somebody else in your area who might be able to help you.

Good luck in your hunt!
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
You may also want to check the FCM website at http://www.fcm.org . They have local chapters in nearly every state.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » magic club (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL