The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Book binding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
441 Posts

Profile of scolman
I spend quite a bit of time lining boxes and chests in sponge and velvet to keep my bizarre artefacts in. I do this because it gives a certain feel of authenticity to the props and accessories that I use. It also makes the magick more real for me and allows me to show my respect for the art.
I recently went on a bit of a spending spree and bought a few bizarre magick manuscripts from some dealers. Now whilst the content of the documents cannot be faulted, I really don't like the fact that some of them come with a plastic spiral spine to bind them. It breaks with the overall aesthetics of the art.
I am looking for some advice on how to re-bind these manuscripts so they look more like old books.
I understand that they are produced like this to keep costs down but I really would like to spruce them up a bit.
Does anyone have any idea where or how I can do this?
Simon
(PS. I live in South Africa so I'd rather do this myself than have to mail things away).
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
You can bind them into a grimoire...

http://tigerhaus.tripod.com/Brahms/id11.html

It's not cheap, but it is perfect.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
441 Posts

Profile of scolman
Those grimoires are beautiful but I'm not sure how you transpose an original manuscript onto the parchment. I don't fancy spending $300 on a 400 page book only to rip out the parchment pages and replace them with photo copies.
I located a local bookbinder through http://www.hewit.com so I may get the stuff done by a professional without having to ship out to the US.
If anyone's interested I'll let you know how it works out.
Simon
qurgh
View Profile
New user
Independence, KY
51 Posts

Profile of qurgh
I created a grimiore looking book and it cost me very little. Here's a short guide to what I did:

Pages:

1) Create your pages (in this case just unspiral them and run them through a photocopier)
3) 3 hole punch all the pages
4) age the pages in a very strong non-lemon, unsweetened instant tea bath (if you want to age them that is)
5) Make stacks of about 20-25 pages
6) Bake the stacks in an oven around 200-250
7) Check on the stacks often and when the pages on the top look dry take out the stack and split it. Keep baking and reducing the number of pages in the stack until all the pages and baked pretty dry
8) Take all the pages and put them under a big heavy stack of books
9) The pages are done

The binding:

1) Take a normal three ring binder
2) Trim the two ends so that they are slightly wider than the pages made above
3) Rip the six metal prongs out, but leave the long metal strip in the middle, you'll need it there
4) Find a piece of card that will go under the metal in binder to form a |_ |shape around the metal, make sure it's long enough to cover all three holes in the pages above
5) Take two bits of foam board and glue them on the outside of the book, shape the edges of the foam so it shaped like a mound that slowly rises from the edges into the middle (this makes the cover of the book look fatter and a less binderish)

Putting it all together

1) Make 6 small slits in the |_ |card, 3 on each side that line up with the holes punched in the pages above.
2) Make sure the |_ |is wrapped around the metal in the middle of the binder
3) Take 3 brass fasteners (Staples model number #10535-US, the type with the little round head and two long prongs) and push them through the slits on the front side, through the holes in the pages and then out the slits on the other side
4) Fold the metal bits over over
5) You now have a bound book

What you do next is up to you. I wrapped my book in fake leather, with fake velour on the insides, covering all the binder bits and the |_ |shaped cardboard plus fasteners. If you want it to look older, rub some dirt and ash into the wrapped cover.

Some people use the metal screw book binding pins when they do this instead of the fasteners, but I couldn't find any of them.

I orginally found this technique on the web, if I can find the orginal page, I'll post the URL here.
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
441 Posts

Profile of scolman
Whoa! that's great qurgh. Thanks for the tip. that's sounds do-able and could be fun. I'll try it and see what happens.
Simon
qurgh
View Profile
New user
Independence, KY
51 Posts

Profile of qurgh
No problem, if I get a chance I'll take some pictures of the book and post them to give you an idea on how it all goes together and what it can look like when your done.

If you have any questions, just post them and I'll give you any advice I can.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Do not allow yourself to be "bound" into the western modern traditions fo bookmaking/binding. There were scroll manuscripts, there were "accordion" folded leaves, there were books that were loose leaved (pages are refered to as a leaf, or leaves btw) between two covers or boards that were tied in several places to keep things together. Once you determine the means to transfer the material to the chosen substrate or paper, the sky is the limit. One can get actual sheep or goat skin parchment if you desire, or you can still get papyrus paper, mulberry paper, rice paper. Too many people do not have the skill of using a pen and ink anymore to actuqally hand write letters and words, consider hand copying the material into the format of your choice if costs are an issue.
I have made books on everything from thin slabs of wood, to goatskin parchment, and yes, even some large dried leaves form exotic trees that were then bound by boards. Take a look at a few museums for indiginous artifacts and materials used, you might be pleasantly surprised at how easy it can be!
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
qurgh
View Profile
New user
Independence, KY
51 Posts

Profile of qurgh
Something to add to what Kay said, when I used to work at a Library in Indiana we used to get manuscripts from tibet for the collection. They came in these long thin bright orange boxes (about 4 inches by 10-12 inches) which had loose lids and ribbon to keep them closed. The sides were about a 1/4 inch thick and the lid fit perfectly on a lip cut into the side's tops. The manuscripts themselves where long thin pieces of parchment that had a hole in one end where another piece of ribbon was threaded through all the pages and made a book where you had to rotate each page to get to the one beneath it. Most of them were one sided but some were two sided. If you were going for an oriental theme this would look very cool.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I use a bookbinder to make up books all the time. Just look in the yellow pages.
qurgh
View Profile
New user
Independence, KY
51 Posts

Profile of qurgh
Salsa Dancer, How much do you end up paying for that?

I've tried a number of different self binding methods and I've always wondered how cost effective it really is.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
There are so many options
even the strips of Babmboo seen here
http://www.edepot.com/taotext.html
At it's most basic, go pick up a "memory book" (we used to call them scrap books) from the local craft store folks and try that method, screw posts in covers, add the pages, and adjust the posts Like a phto album yu can add pages to, up to you if you hand copy the info to the page, or mount it into the book with teh clear protectors.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2004-11-20 09:32, scolman wrote:
Those grimoires are beautiful but I'm not sure how you transpose an original manuscript onto the parchment. I don't fancy spending $300 on a 400 page book only to rip out the parchment pages and replace them with photo copies.
I located a local bookbinder through http://www.hewit.com so I may get the stuff done by a professional without having to ship out to the US.
If anyone's interested I'll let you know how it works out.
Simon

Not sure a book binder is much cheaper. There are many ways to go about binding using those grimoires. You could crop the pages and tip them in onto the parchment, that would have a neat look to it. I just think the binding on those is some of the best I've seen. I am going to purchase one or two of those for my library. I have another custom made grimoire with a carved wood binding, very antiquarian looking. These type of tomes really bring a great atmosphere to your art.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
Depending on your needs, you could find a font that has a handwriting/grimpoir look to it. There's plenty of free ones available on the Internet. It's also possible to buy parchment-look printer paper at most major supply stores. You could then convert the text into this type of font, print out the pages and then have them bound. It could take some of the work out of the copying process.
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I've had the comics I wish to keep bound. I can recommend a nice place if you want things bound into plain volumes.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3814 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Amazing! What a collection. Definitely not a setup for the game "Mystery Date". lol.

The illustrations at the end look like work from Heavy Metal magazine.

Somewhere between art and mental illness. Wonderful stuff. It that an artwork? Did the artist do any on politicians or comic book characters?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Doriangray
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Doriangray
The cover is wonderfull!

http://www.vogeltanz.at/jpegs/demons1.jpg

Disturbing, fantastik, ....seem's possible!
Gandalf the Wizard
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Gandalf the Wizard
Hi friends

In this link they will find an extensive collection of illustrations for his grimoire.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/ag
Example of the gallery Libris Mortis here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84699.jpg
----------------
Several authors's imagery of high resolution:
http://www.therionweb.de/
Example:
http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/_XOOM/ka......_002.jpg

Greetings from Costa Rica

Gandalf the Wizard
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3814 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2004-11-24 12:40, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Amazing! What a collection. Definitely not a setup for the game "Mystery Date". lol.

The illustrations at the end look like work from Heavy Metal magazine.

Somewhere between art and mental illness. Wonderful stuff. It that an artwork? Did the artist do any on politicians or comic book characters?

It's obviously contemporary art.
And the same time a very useful idea how to create a weird grimoire using old torn books, ephemera, drawings...
It reminds me Nick Bantock's "Urgent: second Class" artwork.
Or Ricky Jay's "DICE".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Book binding (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL