The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Ever so sleightly Ľ Ľ Why does Cups & Balls endure so well? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
I have been watching (and learning from) Al Schneiderís new aet of DVDís with great pleasure. His Cups & Balls routine is of special interest to me as I want to use a new routine with my new mini-cups that differs from my Dia Vernon type routine that I use with my standard size cups.

Two things struck me about his presentation and his instruction of same. There is very little Dia Vernon in the routine. Thatís not (to me) a good or bad thing, I just think it is interesting. No wand, wand spin, no stacking, no penetrations. He uses only one kind of vanish and one kind of palm throughout.

Many of us have moved onto some very sophisticated routines with C&B, and thatís a good thing. But it is nice to see a very good routine, void of many bells and whistles. It accurred to me, as I watched his presentation, that I could have kept my Phoenix cups (I sold them because the attic was too small for three balls) since his routine never once uses the ďatticĒ at all, not even for one ball.

I, for one, am very grateful to Al, for sharing so much on his DVD.

Bob

PS.. Somewhere on the DVDís, Al mentionís our forum friend, Pete Biro. That was nice to hear.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bob:

Later, as you work with the cups, you will find yourself adding material from other sources, until you come up with your own routine. When that happens, you will appreciate having the "attic."

The cups and balls have endured so long because it is a routine with a definite beginning, middle and end. It has almost all of the basic visual effects -- production, vanish, transposition, transformation, penetration, even levitation, in some versions.

And even with the predictable final loads, there is still room for artistic individualism.

That's why.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The cups and balls is a classic because it is such a strong routine, with vanishes, productions, transpositions and changes (final loads).

Besides that it is great fun to do.

Does he teach the final load with glitter or salt? I saw a young woman do the cups at the Castle and the finbal load (glitter and a lot of it) fooled me. I was told it was Al Schneider's. He is definitely one of the good ones.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Bill:
Your right Bill, I have added and changed things for over 20 years to C&Bís. I do appreciate having the "attic" it was just interesting seeing Alís routine using so few of the things I have come to rely on.

Pete:
Yes, he show that final load (with little diamonds) and gives her credit by name. The cup is literally filled with them as he lifts the cup. The method is simple and worth considering.

Bob
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm definitely going to have to order that DVD.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Bill:

If you do get the set, I hope you revue it.
I got a very good price for the set from Howard at Magicwarehouse.
Bob
gene plampin
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of gene plampin
Wellington,

Is the routine you're referring to with the little diamonds on vol 1 or vol 3? They both have cups and balls routines.

Gene
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Bill:
Vol 3 has the presentation, explanation, and the added final load that Pete was talking about with the gems falling out.

The other one on Vol 1 (I think) is the one he used to show on his web site and it uses the cheap Adams cups. I say (I think) because I have not gotten to it yet.

Bob
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
942 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
David Williamson once quipped about the enduring appeal of the cups and balls:

". . .because it's not a card trick."

Maybe not the only reason, but definitely a reason nonetheless.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Here's my theory. As a strictly close-up/parlor worker I feature cups and balls as my final effect. The rest of our props may seem fairly commonplace. Cards, a few coins, a borrowed finger ring. But when you take out that velvet bag, and remove brass, antique copper, or for a lucky few, engraved silver cups; I think they realize they are about to see something special. And then there is the wand. There seem to be very few effects where the symbol of the magician is used. (Forget kiddie effects and gag wands.)
Many of us speak of the historical significance of this trick; maybe being the first recorded. My own performance is enitled "The oldest trick in the book."
All this, combined with vanishes, appearances, transformations, and pentrations, I think are the reasesons this has endured, and will continue to do so.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
If I'm not mistaken Alex Elmsley came up with the salt final loads.I really love this routine.Bob have you seen Tommy Wonder's 2 cup routine-talk about ingenuity.
Andre
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Unless I miss my bet, Alex Elmsley's method for the salt load and Al Schneider's method for the glitter load are different. I've used the Elmsley method for loading in a number of different places.

It's funny, but althought Tommy Wonder's 2 cup routine is ingenious, as are some other 2 cup routines, I have never seen one that I like as much as a good 3 cup routine. I'm not sure why.

There is just something "right" about 3.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Given all the theorizing on the Cups and Balls in regard to one, two, or three cups; the similar thoughts dedicated to the number of balls; the aspect of whether or not to use a wand; not to mention countless possible accessories, no one has yet mentioned that the underlying point to the endurance of this trick is the fact that it goes to the root of magic itself... and that is the essence of mystery.

When you have an object that becomes a point of focus, something to which we connect, i.e., the ball(s), even if this connection is only to the extent that we acknowledge its existence, a mystery is created the moment that object is covered... provided a mere suggestion of uncertainty is allowed to develop.

Initially, we assume the object is under the cover. If questioned we may express a belief that it is there, and in some cases if challenged, we may even defend our conviction to that fact... until an air of doubt is allowed to develop, or that fact is proven to be false.

From this point on, anytime an object is covered, the mystery begins.

This is the most basic effect of magic.

"To be, or not to be..."
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"Two, three, or not, two, three."

That is the real question.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Bill,

Check out Tommy Wonder's books "Visions of Wonder". Within those pages, he gives a detailed theory about the number 3 and the appeal behind it.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
AverageJoe
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of AverageJoe
My son and I love magic but are not performing magicians. We do it as a hobby and only entertain family and friends. I hope one day my son will take keep his interest in magic and continue with it later in life. I think the cup and ball tricks are so popular because it teaches the basic principles of magic. Now you see it now you don't. Plus there are several different ways to put your own spin on this classic trick. At least that is how I view it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-11-22 10:11, magicman845 wrote:
Bill,

Check out Tommy Wonder's books "Visions of Wonder". Within those pages, he gives a detailed theory about the number 3 and the appeal behind it.

Do you mean "The books of Wonder?" I have these books.

The appeal of the number 3 goes much deeper than most people imagine. There is Masonic symbolism, religious symbolism -- I've read psychological discussions about it that go much further than anything I have seen in any magic book. It's one of the underlying themes of classical and medieval art and music.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2004-11-22 00:57, Bill Palmer wrote:
"Two, three, or not, two, three."

That is the real question.

To me, a nut you be.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I now realize why the Cups and Balls is so popular. It is so darned easy to do. Smile

However, the true test is the final loads. How many so-called good magicians have you seen FLASH? I mean how hard is it to keep your thumb in tight?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
The final loads are VERY dificult to do deceptively and unnoticed..believe me..I know..I did the most horrible loads during the time I did the C&Bs.

BUT, I've seen a very few doing incredible 'invisible' loads, which came from years of working before audiences and thinking about the 'how to'...
JS from CPH does wonderfull loads..

Lousy loads..oh well do I have to mention names?

One of the greatest streetentertainers does lousy loads..and it is NOT Richard Sullivan, better known as Jim ******* (make a qualified guess).

OTOH hand, that mentioned streetentertainer gets away with it, because he entertains and has an extra final load that baffles (sometimes)...

He still is on top of the range re great streetentertainers and has the specs on the palm of his hands, so in his case forget his loads, they don't lessen the impact his performance makes to anybody seing him work..he doesn't need them, still I wonder why he didn't follow the steps outlined by Jim ******* ? Smile
And another nice steetworker does use the same loadingtechnic as the one mentioned..and he neither gets 'really' away with it..he too should reconsider to 'steal' that bit from Richard Sullivan instead..
Autsch..said too much...the above is solely to *whom it might concern* Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Ever so sleightly Ľ Ľ Why does Cups & Balls endure so well? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL