The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Missing Graphics on entry page » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gilmore
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Gilmore
For some reason, when I go to your entry page, ie., http://www.themagiccafe.com/, none of the graphics appear, just the outlines with the little red x's in the corner. But, the "Meet the Staff", "Cafe Ettiquete" and "Enter Dining Room" links are there. And when I go to the "Meet the Staff" page, none of the pictures come up. The graphics on all of the other pages come up OK, though. Any Ideas?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5191 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Try deleting your cookies and temporary files and then log back in to the Café.

Also, if you are using a firewall, that sometimes prevents the graphics from downloading. I have this problem with Nortan every once in awhile.
Where the magic begins
Gilmore
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Gilmore
Nope. Thanks, but I tried all of your suggestions, and it's still the same. It's no big deal everything else works fine. Just a puzzle. Can't figure out why this would happen all of a sudden.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I just started having this problem as well. I have Windows XP Media edition and I just got all the latest updates. Just setup this new PC today. I am on a home LAN and the other 3 machines load the graphics just fine. I tried deleting my temp internet files, cookies, to no avail. It's no big deal since everything else works...it just red X's where the graphics should be as though the server doesn't have these graphics. Hmmmmmmm. I would be interested if anyone has any ideas?
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Have a look at your browers settings and see if pics are allowed.

IE = Tools, Internet options,advanced, multimedia, show pictures.

HTH

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
443 Posts

Profile of Gene
I can see them just fine, even after clearing cache.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Well, I'm convinced the problem is some sort of setting on my PC. It seems really strange. Some PICs load, others do not. For instance, the only pics I can see on this page is Gilmores Avatar. ALL other pics have red X's. I have checked my Browser setting like Paula suggested and they are all checked.

If I try to view the pics directly on the server like this http://themagiccafe.com/The_Magic_Cafe/IMAG0000.GIF
I get a screen that says "Error:

403 - Forbidden

Our web server could not process the request submitted due to the fact that you have attempted to enter a forbidden area of our site.

However, I can see one pic at the same location http://themagiccafe.com/The_Magic_Cafe/IMAG0001.GIF

that's loads just fine. It makes no sense to me. Any help or additional suggections would be appreciated. It's obvious a security issue. What's strange is I have 3 other PC's on my home LAN and they don't have this problem, so it's not my ISP or DSL service including any PORT issues on my DSL bridge. I have moved the cable to another port which works fine for that PC. Nope, the problem is hidden somewhere deep (and not obvious). HELP!
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Try it again from your home computer and post back here. Let me know if you can see the images.
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
I have also just started to encounter this problem. It just started this afternoon. The pages do not show any pictures or locked icons.
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
I'm having the same problem. In my case, it's being caused by the last update to my ZoneAlarm firewall software. As a test, I temporarily shutdown ZoneAlarm and then tried accessing the Café. Sure enough, with the firewall turned off I could see all the graphics on the main page. After I restarted ZoneAlarm, the graphics vanished again. Just red "x" placeholders like before.

The ZoneAlarm readme file explains:

"Web Filtering and Privacy protection may prevent some images from displaying correctly. On rare occasions, some Web page images may not display correctly when both Web Filtering and Privacy Protection are enabled."

There's a workaround for this bug posted on the Zonelabs.com user forum, but it only works with the paid Pro version:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board......5#M23675

If you have the free version, you'll have to learn to live with it, because there’s no way to access the premium features necessary to implement the workaround.

I understand Norton firewalls have a similar problem:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip......11301136
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
My problem is solved!!! For me, it was my DSL modem/router. I replaced it today and all is working normally again. It was not my first guess at what was wrong though because 3 machines out of 4 (On my LAN)could view the graphics just fine. I was having other problems though...

I could not download some files as well. I have done 3 complete system restores, and upgraded all my drivers for my NIC....none of it helped. Since the problem was only on 1 of 4 machines, I assumed it was the PC. I was wrong! This replacement DSL modem has solved my internet problems!!!
Gilmore
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Gilmore
OK! Its not the firewall, it's the Norton Internet Security Privacy Control settings. One of the recent updates must have changed the settings somehow. When I change the Privacy Control settings by clicking the Custom Level button, and remove the check from the "Enable Browser Privacy" box, the graphics are back! Why? I haven't a clue. The help file associated with that dialogue box says,

"Enable Browser Privacy: Prevents a Web site from retrieving your email address or the address of the last Web site visited."

So?
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
443 Posts

Profile of Gene
Firewall goofiness. Gotta love it. Thumbs down, baby! Smile
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
It must be something that changed at the Café'.
The chances of everyone having the same problem at the same time with firewall's etc., would be pretty slim.

MoonBeam
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
443 Posts

Profile of Gene
Nothing's changed at the Café. The main page gets updated far less than the forums do. It's not so strange when you think about it. When a firewall service comes up with an update for the software, most users will get the update at about the same time, especially if they're online at least once a day. So that chance is actually very, very good.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I had the same problem and fixed it by adjusting my Norton Internet Security Privacy Control settings. I just specificaly permitted everything for http://www.themagiccafe.com.

All graphics then reappeared. It was probably caused by an update.

Mike
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
443 Posts

Profile of Gene
Don't forget adding themagiccafe.com (without the www). In many programs those two addresses are not the same.
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I am having the same problem and I have looked through my Norton program and made a few changes and it still does not show the graphics. Could someone please give me a step by step to fixing the problem.

Thanks,

Tim
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
256 Posts

Profile of BWind
Yes, please anyone who can "walk" me through the fix? I previously could not get the graphics to load on the main page, now I can't even get the red coffee cups to appear, bummer man! My laptop works fine, my desktop is the one with the problem, both are connected to a cable modem via a Linksys router;
BWind
Number One
View Profile
Regular user
Mike J Kelly
164 Posts

Profile of Number One
I have just had the same problem.
I am running 'Norton System Works'

I logged out of the Café disabled 'Antivirus Auto-protect'

Logged back to the Café, enabled 'Antivirus Auto-protect'

Problem solved.

Well it worked for me.

Regards
Mike
Smile Guess which hand the frog is in.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Missing Graphics on entry page » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL