We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Maximum Entertainment: beyond Magic and Mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PapaG
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of PapaG
I have noticed in other posts that people have used principles of this book in reference to other forms of entertainment (eg bands/musicians).

As a potential purchaser I'm interested to know how/if this work is applicable to other types of entertainment...
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Just to clarify - I'm talking about 'Maximum Entertainment' by Ken Weber
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
414 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
I’m an active amateur musician that gigs a couple of times a month (I play the drums) and I found a few things in the book that I have already applied to my performances with my band. I found this to be a bonus, I wouldn’t recommend the book on those grounds alone.

Its a great book! What are you waiting for? Its only money!
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
It most definitely is!
Though written from the perspective of a magical/mental magic entertainer it gives ample advise on subjects as how to communicate your persona, the perspective of your audience, how to deal with real world situations and an interesting model of "how to be succesful".

As in Strong Magic(Ortiz), the astute reader will not mindlessly accept and copy everything that is written by mr. Weber, but will have a lot of questions to ask him/herself as a performer. Wether it is a magical performer or not...

I enjoyed this book a lot!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
This book is fantastic. It applies to any form of entertainment. It makes you look at yourself in a way that you would have never done before. Really look at yourself. Highly recommended
to the blue sky at the top of the hill...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I am three quarter through Maximum Entertainment and I agree with much of what is said by Ken Weber. This book is definately for those who have no experience in theater. Those that do, it's a great reminder of the principles taught.

It is easy reading. The core princple is to grab the attention of your audience, hold it, make'em laugh and amaze them where the magic in not as important as the emotional feeling of well-bring you have given them.

Thanks Ken for those reminders and insights.
Dennis Michael
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
This book is a must have for any entertainer.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
I got this book this december and read through it twice in the first 3 days and found this to be one of the most informing books I have ever read. Ken Weber's writing is fantastic (even though he talks like a sailor! BUT HEY! that makes for a better read!) And like DenDowhy, I agree with basically everything Ken says (and a lot if common sense you just never realize!)
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
He really should write another book with the complete critiques of the acts he did at the PEA meeting...combined with a look at some of the more modern acts.

When reading the book , that's the stuff I wish there was more of...
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
This was my best book purchase of the year. I go back to it often and re-read chapters. I highly recommend it.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
This was my best book purchase of the year. I go back to it often and re-read chapters. I highly recommend it.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
This book is worth its weight in gold! No tricks or pipe dreams, it contains the most useful information to become a better performer. This book is just like hydrogen peroxide. It will sting a little at first but its for your own good. You will know what I mean when you read it!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Its jus wat performers need..i mean we have tons of books out there that teaches superb tricks but too little on those that teaches the principles and etc behind a successful performance. we need more of those to start us thinking and improving on our acts

we don have to agree with everything in the book but the fact that reading it stimulates us to question and ponder, makes it money well spent

I would also recommend strong magic by ortiz. its a good book too

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Maximum Entertainment: beyond Magic and Mentalism? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL