The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Belly Dancing Challenge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fredpaulbailey
View Profile
New user
Fred
51 Posts

Profile of fredpaulbailey
I have an old assistant who is a competitive Belly Dancer (I know what you're thinking and there really is such a thing!).

Anyway, her troupe leader has asked me to help her add some "magic" to her routine.

So, Guys and Gals, what ideas do you all have for stage magic you can do while wiggling your hips in a skimpy out-fit?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
One obvious routine would be appearing cane (from silk), possibly followed by dancing cane.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Genii from a bottle:

Roll her out in the sword basket. Pull out the swords and she pops out of the basket. Let her dance. She gets back into the basket and you replace the swords and roll her off stage.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Peter's comment is actually right on the button -- in cabaret-style belly dancing (as opposed to ethnic style) there are a lot of dance moves with a cane. Incorporating a floating cane wwith an appearing or vanishing effect would fit right in.

If the cane vanishes into a silk, there are lots of potentials: maybe a silk fountain, or the color change, or the old "snap-out appearing silks" that C. Pollock used to do (I think it's in Clark's "Silks Supreme").

How the heck do I know all this? My other half Donna took belly dancing classes for a couple of years. I picked up quite a bit of trivia along the way.

Zombie might be good too: do it with an opaque silk scarf. Or, if she uses a coin skirt, the miser's dream would work.

Keep us posted!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
fredpaulbailey
View Profile
New user
Fred
51 Posts

Bob,

Thanks for the Sword Basket Idea. That sounds great for my show - but in her competition it's her solo dance and the troupe competition. I'm looking for more ideas for solo.

She does have a coin skirt, so I might be able to teach her some coin manipulations.

The Dancing Cane/Vanishing cane is a great idea. I have been using the Fantasio for about 15 years, and I just ordered the Precision model. After I see how it's made maybe we can re-theme it (paint it or add some rhinestones to it). I was also thinking of a two-ring Linking Rings routine for her.

Any more ideas out there? Keep in mind that it is a solo act.

I really appreciate the feed-back.

Fred
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Okay, here's a couple of other thoughts. Belly dancing also incorporates some work with a sword (mostly balancing it on the head while dancing). Maybe a variation of the card sword, where she catches a bill tossed in the air, might work.

The other thing would be a take-off on the Dance of the Seven Veils from "Salome." She could hold a colored silk in front of her face like a veil, and then do a color change thru the hand while dancing, then hold up the changed silk.

Good luck.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
You said she's an old assistant--you might perform the torn and restored Social Security Check. Smile
fredpaulbailey
View Profile
New user
Fred
51 Posts

Ha Ha! Not that old! She's only 38 (five years younger than me). She lives in California, and I'm in Illinois.

We arranges that I'm going to get the props she needs. And my nephew is going to video me showing her the routines followed by an explanation. Then I'm going to transfer the footage to DVD and ship that with the props to her. Then she can call me with any questions she has. Pretty cool arrangement, Huh?

These ideas are great! Please keep them coming. I want to set-her-up the best I can.

Thanks, everyone.

Fred
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
20th century silks, or blendo (probably Blendo would be better).
Ideally, a "battle of the dancers" between her and the dancing handkerchief.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
She could use routine with a silk and kikuchi fire gimmicks, and flaming flash gun. These would be something she could introduce intermittently throughout the routine, and would not interfere with the dance moves.

The rings could be nice as well, but more difficult to learn.

Click here to view attached image.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Here's a funky one... Zombie with a brass genii lamp. Smile Use a stick of incense inside the lamp. Maybe this can follow the blendo.

Actually, if you like the floating cane idea, buy one of those bamboo canes with the hooked top (which is what belly dancers use, as opposed to the black dress cane) and rig it as a floating cane. That way it's more in character with her and doesn't look like a magic prop.
www.georgefledo.net

VReality
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of VReality
D'Lite perhaps?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
D'lites, good, silk stuff, productions... nothing you need to stop and pick up off a table. Don't stop the movement, rhythm, and don't OVER DO IT.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Pete has the best possible advice, above:

Don't overdo it.

And that means about 30 seconds AT THE MOST!

Anything longer for a trick -- dancing cane, d-lites, linking rings, etc. -- is going to seem like an eternity for the audience.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I used to be a skater... but that was BEFORE my real performing magic days... (over 50 years ago)! Smile

Anyway, when a skater jumps in the air and rotates, I always thought it would be great when you landed to have two doves appear, one on each hand as you land and spread your arms.

ONLY one time... just at the finish of the skating.

I wonder if the Olympic Judges would take points away or add them for the "showmanship" category?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Try one of Bogunia's automated dancing hanks and program it in a way that ur assistant interacts with the silk. Also, the cane is appropriate as it is part of Belly dancing {I Live in the UAE}.
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
I picture those mini simbols they use in each hand leaving a trail of glitter as she dances. Kinda like Tinker Bell pixie dust. If the lighting was right could have a real magical look. While holding the simbols, squeeze bulbs could be held under the other fingers pumping out gold glitter as she dances and twirls. Or even a simple salt shaker type gimmik.

Linking Hula Hoops
jdknight
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jdknight
My sister does belly dancing and she has worked some routines using the dlites. She is very subtle with them and does not overdo it.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
An obvious suggestion would be effects with an Arabic root or appearance.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
How about appearing from the Shadow Tent and continuing with the Belly Dance?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Belly Dancing Challenge (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL