The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Keeping the secret (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
How did you do that?

I didn't do that! (puzzled) the spirits did....
Barton C
View Profile
New user
Oregon
2 Posts

Profile of Barton C
Q: How did you do that?

A: Magically!
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I once said, "I paid over $100 to learn it... I'll tell you for half. Still interested?"

Just joking, but there are some real good examples above especially from K.
YOU ARE A TRIP!
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Doing Bizarre, those questions come up much less but if someone still has the cajones to ask, more to assure themselves they didn't really experience what they thought they did, what can I do but say something that will ensure those nightmares will haunt them Smile

I simply explain that it relates to that contract I signed in blood a few years back, but I'm not supposed to talk about that.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of lane99
Quote:
On 2004-11-23 07:51, bg wrote:
I just don't tell them. Say "it's magic!" and let them wonder about it. Not knowing will only want them to see more magic.

So resist the urge to tell because they don't really want to know.

Brian

I think it is true that people often don't realize that they really DON'T want to know the secret (especially children). But my opinion is that this cliche is most often wrong. They DO want to know, that's why they're asking.

And I disagree that, for those people, that NOT telling them will only make them want to see more magic. I believe the opposite is true. If they're of that curious bent, and afterwards you DON'T give them some plausible explanation as to how you did the trick, I think you'll find in short order that they'll no longer welcome you doing any magic tricks for them.
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
I get that thing. I think along the line this is going to happen to everyone. My come back to how is it done?? Please just enjoy , after all it's magic. Most of the time that works great and they enjoy the magic and after all that what it all
about.
Alson
Mrbimble
View Profile
New user
Tucson, AZ
56 Posts

Profile of Mrbimble
Many of these ideas I have used before as well. This is one of those parts of magic that will always be there and, we as magicians have to deal with it.
Jerry M.
Mundas vult decipi ~The world wants to be deceived

Multum in parvo ~Much in little(packs small/plays big)
Pete W.
View Profile
New user
Coffeyville, KS
80 Posts

Profile of Pete W.
"How did you do that? !..."

Take it as a compliment that it was enjoyed. People don't expect you to tell. Most often I respond simply:

"Thank you. I'm glad you liked it!"
"Amatuers perform different tricks for the same people. Professionals perform the same tricks for different people."...Al Goshman
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
I have a few 'kids tricks' that I take along. I refuse to explain my good tricks but do share the the 'kids tricks' This seems to help.

Kids tricks are the ones you can get at the supermarket for not much money. Low quality gimmicks and simple tricks.

This helps with some of the guys at work, who I practice my stuff on.

They all loved a trick where a big cube 'magically' changes to a bunch of smaller ones iin the blink of an eye. It cost £1.50. I'd never do the trick in a show though as it's so obvious.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I jut say just keep the illusion it is more beautiful then the reality.. and they agree with it and I show them more. when they ask me to eprform the trick for the 71717th time I don't know what to do.... I cant show them another 1 bc they want to see that 1.,..so ne help is needed on that... plz
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
How did you do that?"

"With about fourty years of practice!"
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
anime_file
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of anime_file
I ask them how I think I did it. It's fun to listen to their replies. It also helps you analyze your performance and what not. Since theres soo many magicians in our school, no one cares too much about the secrets since practically everyone knows all the gimmicks and DL. Having people walk up to you and screw up a DL is sad.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
A slight twist on the original question, how do you respond to someones proposed explanation?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
JarrodHenry
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of JarrodHenry
John:

I just nod and smile. That lets them think they were right on (even though often times they weren't.)

It doesn't matter how they think it was done. Ultimately, they'll try it.. and they'll not succeed. Then, my magic is even stronger. (Even though it's on a time delay Smile)

My favorite has been when I force a card, a few times.. three different ways, and then I do a Hindu shuffle while showing the bottom card. Done correctly, it staggers the audience. It looks like the entire deck is that card.

Jarrod
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Cup my hands together and show them my little helper (creature by keith lack) usually they REALLY freak out n stop asking! Smile
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2004-11-23 07:50, Peter Marucci wrote:
It happens, of course, all the time.

Best of all, the magic and presentation should be SO good that, not only are they distracted, but they don't care how it's done because it is just too fasinating. (This takes REAL skill and hard work, but it's probably the best way.)

and that's practically a magic trick in itself !
This is certainly true, and often stated, but never particulary expounded on.
Can anyone offer any insight or suggestions toward this end ?
What helps constitute a "good" presentation, if you had to try and break it down analytically ? No doubt there may be as many different answers as there are magicians - humor, telling a spellbinding story, but those are broad generalizations, and can be done badly just as a double lift can be done badly.
I may be asking the impossible, but does anyone have any specific tips to share ?

Of course, I am keeping in the back of my mind, the possiblity that not everyone is capable of delivering a truly good presentation - acting talent, charisma, a personable character or fascinating personality are traits that, to a large degree, we simply have no control over. Not everyone can be Britney Spears, or Brad Pit, or Elvis, or Harry Anderson. We are born who we are, and we can improve ourselves, but we have to work with that with which we are born.
You never know unless you try though.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
I never refer to any practice. I'll just give them the magic, secret spell, mind power treatment. A fair few will even believe this if you repeat it often enough. Those that don't, the majority, then seem more conduisive to further demonstrations.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
"How did you do that? ..."

It's like electricity, I don't know how it works, I'm just glad it does.

This is the answer I came up with many years ago. I like it because it positions my as being humble. I'm not the know-it-all and I'm not smarting off.

Ron Calhoun
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Be the first to ask "howdidyoudothat"? that way ur asking them to tell you.

if someone insists howdidyoudothat then tell him as Michael Ammar says " can you keep a secret? he will reply yes, then you say so can I . ;-)
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
I like Michael Ammar's answer:

"How did you do that?"
"Yes, HOW? That's a good question. As long as you don't ask 'WHY?'"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Keeping the secret (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL