We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best of Maven? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Strange as it may seem, for some reason I have never got round to purchasing any DVD's of Max Maven.
I would appreciate any recommendations from you guys.
Many thanks,
Bobser.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
It depends on what you aim at, but personnaly, from the videomind set, my favourite is the "parlor mentalism" dvd.

If you have any questions about it, just ask.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1255 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I think his book test on the DVD is great and "the mockingbird" has a very clever principle. There is a lot of great items on the DVD, however when it get to my performance I rarely include any of his DVD material. SO all though impressive I don't find to be using it much. Is it just me???
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Bobser
I think that part of the value in the work is paying attention to the subtleties of performance, the way the man works the room.
The how to for the effects, the "story line", these are things we all have in great abundance. Who out there does not have that box or three of magical stuff just waiting in the back closet.
This is not to say that the material or methods Max uses are not ingenious, he is a consummate thinker in the magical arts. My opinion on the videos is they are good on more than one level. His manipulation of humans and the audience is extremely educational.

Anyway, my 2bits worth!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Ominous
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Ominous
Wasn´t there talk on the board about a new DVD set from Maven a while ago ?
Anyone knows if / when it is coming ?
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Thanks guys.
Kaytracy I agree, but did you have a recommendation for me?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
All 3 of the videomind DVD's are good. The close-up and parlour are probably the most practical for the casual performer.

It's not Derren Brown style mind-blowing stuff, more mental magic but it's good.

The methods are based on the usual methods (equivoque, stacks, muliple outs etc) but are often quite ingenious in their combination.

They are well within the reach of most performers. I suspect he's offering out his most basic stuff here. Some of them you could perform almost immediately. I find his performance quite camp and amusing and not remotely convincing (in terms of thining that he might be psychic).
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

Profile of Markymark
But remember Max is brilliant with a real,live theatre
audience,part of what makes Derren look so good is with a little help from the editing suite!.I do find Max more entertaining,I mean explaining how you are doing things by psycology is a good idea....but not with EVERYTHING!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I saw Max lecture last week in L.A. and there was mention of I believe two new dvds that will be out probably next year.

It could be one dvd that is 4 hours or 2 two hour dvds.
A lot of material!!!

Maybe Max will come along and clarify for us.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6504 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
There is something coming from Max and the premise is a d**n good one so wait for it.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Greg,
any idea what the effect will be?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6504 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
It's not the effect, but the whole idea behind the DVD.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Don't overlook Zenvelopes!!

Sven
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1255 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Quote:
On 2004-11-24 01:41, Greg Arce wrote:
There is something coming from Max and the premise is a d**n good one so wait for it.
Greg

That sounds great, because I have a feeling that Max Maven has much better material than the material on the Videomind series.

Looking forward to that.
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
Max is undoubtedly one of the greatest knowledgeable, original and performing artist of mentalism. The best is yet to come.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
A lot of people feel that some of his best work was released in the color series. Hence their high prices.

I will also add that I am reluctantly parting with one set of guaranteed originals. Currently on ebay. Just search for seller: bradhenderson.

It is an investment in material you will not regret.
freddyz
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of freddyz
Max has said it himself. The best material he develops he keeps for himself. The rest he publishes. Once in a while, a piece from his repetoire he chooses to drop, or is getting increasingly copied, may make its way onto a tape or into a pamphlet, but generally, he keeps the top-shelf items for himself. As he should.

What he IS generous enought to share is the thinking behind the creations. That's what you should be buying anyway. The "tricks" are great, but if you understand how and why they were created, and the reasons behind the presentations, then you can (it is presumed) go out and create better material for yourself.

To criticize the tricks without taking into consderation the thinking behind them is wrong-headed.

For example, from the color series, "Four-sided Triangle", by itself, is a strong piece of performance material, but if you apply the thinking behind it, you open up a world of opportunity for yourself. Using the ideas, you can then create something for yourself that's truly exceptional. To perform it verbatim from the book does a disservice to both yourself and the material.

Magic and mentalism books and DVDs must be considered less as an assortment of secrets and scripts for tricks and more as teaching texts that help lead the reader/viewer to higher truths and self-discovery about themselves.

Fred Zimmerman
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
One of the interesting facts about the color series is that it does contain material that Max used. It is my understanding that the series was written at a time before he adopted the policy you described, and I have even heard that he may have regretted putting some of the material which he did into the color series.
freddyz
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of freddyz
I'm sure you're right.

Fred
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
I thought his Videomind Parlor was good. The Videomind Stage was fair. I really was looking forward to his take on Tossed Out Deck (Tossed out Tech) along with the in-depth analysis. He does go into it in great depth, which I do appreciate, but to me It didn't really seem an improvement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best of Maven? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL