The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Promoting your magic business. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
When I pencil anyone in it is under toal understanding that the booking is not confirmed at all. It only means I have them on the calendar and will make an ATTEMPT to contact them first if another call comes through. They know, as I make it clear to them, that I can not guarentee anything unless they commit to the exact date.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I have considered using a webpage to track bookings for me and my clients. I'm building a webpage that won't just be informative and entertaining, it will also let you see my schedule and allow you to "RESERVE" a date and time. Someone with no email can easily submit a simple form to either get additional answers, or to "RESERVE" a show (pending contract). A date/time will show RESERVED until they book by credit card which will be available to pay through a secured server transaction or by phone. All available dates/times will be clickable, all sold out spots will show "Unavailable".
So many people have access to the web and it could be a great selling point. A VERY VISUAL website with VERY VISABLE booking dates and an FAQ that covers most questions should fill up your schedule page. It also wouldn't hurt to have quality lenticular business cards like THESE.

If you have not seen lenticular business cards, they can have up to 4 frames of animation. Your name, contact info, website is all printed on them. People will actually show yours around so each card is viewed 100's of times instead of only once or tossed.
A great website, promoting an entertaining show, coupled with quality business cards, and a professional attitude, can't possibly be viewed as anything other than "QUALITY" to a client. (You can get higher fees if they see you as quality)
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I try to book on the first call, but I prefer to keep things "low pressure". If someone needs additional information, I refer them to my website. I'll soon have the "pitches" for the most popular shows, so that my site will enable people to sell others on my show. This really comes in handy for when committees decide on performers. I also offer to do a live demo if the committee meeting is local.

Instead of sending contracts in the mail, I've been sending confirmations via email. This is a real timesaver for me and I get a quick response most of the time.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Yes, I'll pencil in a date, but make it clear to the buyer that the first person to commit gets the date. In other words, if someone else calls in the meantime, and I can't reach Buyer #1 (as posted previously, "first right of refusal"), then Buyer #2 gets the booking. How much time? One phone call. If I can't reach them, get a machine, whatever, the date goes to buyer #2.

Website info is great, but many buyers (we're not talking birthdays here, but larger shows -- festivals, corporate parties, fraternal organizations, etc.) want more, i.e. prices, dates, ad infinitum. And, as also mentioned elsewhere, there are often those darn committees to deal with. They want something concrete ... meanig paper. I suspect that will change as the "Tech Generation" ages, but for now paper seems to get me booked. So I use it.

Besides, even if they don't book NOW, my promo often goes into their entertainment file. Emails and pdf files are to easy to trash (although I really like the pdf file idea, it's not, IMO, the ultimate solution.
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Quote:
On 2004-11-28 12:28, Starrpower wrote:
Besides, even if they don't book NOW, my promo often goes into their entertainment file. Emails and pdf files are to easy to trash (although I really like the pdf file idea, it's not, IMO, the ultimate solution.

That's a good point. I've had times where they hadn't budgeted enough to hire me, but they keep the material and budget for my show for the next year.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2004-11-26 20:07, muzicman wrote:

I'm building a webpage that won't just be informative and entertaining, it will also let you see my schedule and allow you to "RESERVE" a date and time.

Hi Muzicman,

That sounds a good idea, I thought of it a few years ago, but when I thought about it more in detail, I decided against it. If someone goes to your website looking for a specific date, and your site says it's already booked, they'll goes elsewhere. But if they phoned you, and the date is booked, you could talk them into a different date. I'd have a good rethink before going ahead and putting your details on the web.

Good luck,

Billy
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Star,

I handle it much the way you just stated above. I think that is the most fair way of doing it that allows you to be a solutions provider and build relationships with both parties without being unfair in the process.

The PDF soltuion I only use after asking them which they would prefer and which would be easiest for them. It is their decision alone to make and I give them the option since it gets to them much faster.

This idea came about because I work a LOT of festivals. With festival bookings, it rarely is a one poerson decision. Often times they meet at planning meetings. The PDF file then I send to the contact and have them print out however many copies they might need at short notice. This is wuick and easy for them as a last minute solution and everyone at the meeting can have a kit to take home with them that evening.

It is just another option I give in regards to trying to meet my clients needs.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Harry Kazzam
View Profile
New user
New Milton, UK
34 Posts

Profile of Harry Kazzam
I sell my show on the phone and most times get the booking immediately. They don't need further information because I've just answered all their questions when I "sold" my show.

Occasionally confirmation of what I have said is required for those dreaded commitees so I will send a promotional pack.

Provisional bookings are not an option. I work on first come first served basis. Provisional bookings have only caused me hastle in the past.

I had an interesting call yesterday. The caller was put off the first magician (no name here and don't ask me) she contacted because he started his sales pitch with the words "I will have to charge you extra for petrol"

My advice is sell your show to the point where they can't say "no" then discuss money. I must point out that I do not "hard sell" I provide a very good service which is excellent value for money. Or so I'm told- It works for me!
If it ain't fun, it ain't worth it!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi Muzicman,

With regards to the website, it's a nice idea, but not really workable. Not only would you have the problems Billy mentioned, but also what do you do if you log onto your site and see someone has reserved a date/time slot, which you have already given away to someone on the phone earlier? This could cause a customer to get a bit upset as you have given away their reserved slot.

Also as we've discussed before, during your sales pitch you ask a lot of questions, if by the time you get to the end you decide you don't want this job, how can you say you're booked if they are looking at the free space in your diary? You could get away with saying that that particular slot has just gone and you havn't updated the site yet, but what if they start asking about one of the other free date/times.

Witholding certain bits of information such as the state of your diary means you continue to maintain control over the preceedings.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Promoting your magic business. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL