The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ball & Vase routines? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1673 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I'm interested in learning this. I have seen it performed very well indeed, in a way that's fun and suprising even when you know how it's done, and would be interested to learn more.

Thanks
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3398 Posts

Profile of Julie
Marlo in the book Arcade Dreams has a unique routine using the cheap plastic vase(s).
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I believe it is also mentioned in a Karrell Fox book. Adding a little sleight-of-hand to it can make it a real stunner even for those young ones who "know how it's done".

I saw one young magician whose name escapes me do it in a lecture/demonstration back at an SAM convention in Milwaukee. He tore open the package took out the gimmick and said, "What's this for?" then threw it away and performed a very good ball vase routine.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
When Iget a payrise I maytreat myself to the set / routine at http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/StonesOf/Tutankhamun.html ! Best ofluck learning - Rgds , Bruce
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Check Michael Skinner's Intimate Magic for more.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Mike Gallo's great routine for the ball and vase can be found in Richards Almanac.
CardiniMan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
169 Posts

Profile of CardiniMan
A second vote for Skinners routine!
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1673 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Very helpful - thanks!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1679 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Check out Charlie Frye's Eccentricks dvds he has a routine on one of them (There's two)that's great!!!

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I love the gallo routine. A buddy used to do it saying that the vase looked like a bowling pin, and of course the ball was a bowling ball. After a few vanishes and reappearences, he revealed that he didn't much care for bowling, but really loved baseball. The ball had changed into a Rogers' baseball.
BobSheets
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of BobSheets
Docc Hilford has a book on themes and routines with the vase. If you are hooked on the vase you should check that out. bob.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bob... great stuff at the Castle Lecture. See you in Vegas.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Bob, what is that book called? I know he has a booklet on the Ball & TUBE, but didn't know he had one on the ball vase.
Harold Cataquet
jdknight
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jdknight
I recently purchased the Collectors Workshop/viking ball vase. I to would like good sources for routines. Also, routines specific to CW Ball Vase that utilize the small silk. So far I see Skinner, Hilford, and Gallo that interest me. Any others? I am not familiar with Charlie Frye work/quality.
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Charlie Frye uses a ping pong ball vase, and has painted the ball to look like an eye. His routine is on Eccentricks 2 (DVD).
Harold Cataquet
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
It truly is an EXCELLENT routine.
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Further to the reference to Docc Hilford's booklet. Docc says he has "Nothing on the ball vase, but the Imp Bottle routine gets mixed in people minds. They're in The Sign of Four."
Harold Cataquet
Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Tilman
You may want to check out the 'Ball, Cone, and Box Routine' in Ed Brown (1996), The Feints and Temps of Harry Riser (Kaufman and Greenberg), pp. 154-165. It combines the ball and cone trick with the use of a Morrison Pill Box (i.e. a very special ball vase).
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I use Mike Gallo's routine (I think it's the best ball vase routine) and my patter deals with a 17th century drinking/gambling game played in the pubs of England. The object is to sneak the ball into the vase without your drinking partner catching you in the act. The mahogony ball vase I bought from Jim Riser fits the part perfectly.
I got to thinking though, it might be fun to have a ball vase shaped liked a minature liquor bottle (Manufacturing Rights Reserved by Mitch Schneiter). The ball could be painted green with a small red spot to resemble an olive with the second ball painted red to resemble a cherry. To tell the balls apart in the pocket a small indentation could be drilled into the "olive" where the red pimento would be. The second ball could be red and pass as a cherry. My patter would be basically the same, except that instead of a 17th century game it could now be presented as a current bar game. I think the bottle would be somewhat less suspicious looking than the normal ball vase.
I have since had Mr. Riser custom make me the above bottle vase. He just e-mailed me saying it was finished and is in the mail. You can see pics of it at his website. All I can say is his craftsmanship is fantastic. I can't wait to receive it and start working with it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-12-03 04:52, cataquet wrote:
Charlie Frye uses a ping pong ball vase, and has painted the ball to look like an eye. His routine is on Eccentricks 2 (DVD).

I wonder if that came out before Ed Solomon's routine, the Eye of Al-Hazred.

Not that it isn't suggested by the great expanse of white in those ping-pong balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ball & Vase routines? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL