The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Multiplying Billard balls for children (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1620 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
What is your favorite multiplying balls routine for children?
Richard Lyn
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Roy Baker (inventor of the PATEO force) developed a routine called "Yell Up For Kids". I used the basic routine for years and it always got an excellent reaction.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Kyle (magic4you) has a great ball routine that would play well for kids.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Quentin
I forgot to mention the "Yell Up For Kids" routine was sold by Supreme Magic. For some reason the facility to edit one's posts has disappeared.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1620 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2004-11-25 02:39, Quentin wrote:
Roy Baker (inventor of the PATEO force) developed a routine called "Yell Up For Kids". I used the basic routine for years and it always got an excellent reaction.

Hello Quentin.
Funny you should mentioned "Yell up for kids" That is the same routin that I use.
Did it twice just last week.
Which kind of balls do you find works better?
I find that multiplying spong works the best best for me.
Richard Lyn.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hey Quentin and Richard,
I'm in your gang. I've been doing Yell-up for kids for about 12 years now. It's a great routine. I use it to start my show not only does it get a great reaction I also feel it's very strong magically. Most of the original patter has been adapted though I do occasionally find myself saying "as true as I'm riding this bicycle".
I use the golf balls made by Empire.After using several different kinds I found those and really liked them.
George
mrj
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
68 Posts

Profile of mrj
Does anyone know the web address for Supreme Magic or another source for the "Yell Up For Kids" routine?
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I like the Dan Harlen routine.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Quentin
"Yell Up For Kids" available from Magic Books By Post for appx $5.50.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages......shop.htm

The balls I used were heavy rubber and came in a plastic tube made I think by Fedko. Sponge Balls are probably better as, if I didn't use the routine for a while, I'd have to retrain my fingers. A sponge ball set with shell used be available from Goshman in the 1970s called "The Chicago Sponge Balls." Does anyone know if they're still available?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Thanks James,

The idea when doing billard balls for kids is that you can NOT do it as a show of skill. Kids really do not care and will eat you alive if you plan on attempting to do it this way.

To kids, a show of skill only triggers in their brains the chance that the magician is trying to fool me and so I must try to yell and scream every idea I have as to what is going on.

Kids do not want to be fooled. Kids want to have fun, to laugh, to giggle and to be entertained. With this in mind, your manipulations and routine has to have those qualities in it.

Kids use their own imaginations and live in this imaginary world. Use your own imagination to make your manipulative routine fun and have the qualities I mentioned above. You will find the routine goes over much better. It suddenly is not about showing off but becomes maybe a story being told through the use of manipulation.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2004-11-26 11:18, magic4u02 wrote:
Thanks James,

The idea when doing billard balls for kids is that you can NOT do it as a show of skill. Kids really do not care and will eat you alive if you plan on attempting to do it this way.

To kids, a show of skill only triggers in their brains the chance that the magician is trying to fool me and so I must try to yell and scream every idea I have as to what is going on.

Kids do not want to be fooled. Kids want to have fun, to laugh, to giggle and to be entertained. With this in mind, your manipulations and routine has to have those qualities in it.

Conversely, and withstanding the "Who plays the goat" argument, this is precisely why certain sucker effects have become classics. At some point in time, a thinking magician recognized this fact and learned to embrace it. Seems to me, it can be your friend or foe. Tread carefully.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1620 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2004-11-26 11:18, magic4u02 wrote:
Thanks James,

Kids use their own imaginations and live in this imaginary world. Use your own imagination to make your manipulative routine fun and have the qualities I mentioned above. You will find the routine goes over much better. It suddenly is not about showing off but becomes maybe a story being told through the use of manipulation.

Kyle

Well said Kyle. Spoken like a true pro.
Kids gota have fun, and that is what the parents hires you for.
Most tricks can be funny for kids. It depends on the presentation.
Richard
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It really all comes down to presentation. Over the years I have learned to relaize that kids really do indeed enjoy the journey we take them on more then the actual final effect. So I always try to make the journey part of any routine as fun and humerous and entertaining as I possibly can.

I also realized that if I do manipulation in a kid's show, that I really must present it differently. Me standing there showing off every move I know only impresses me but does NOTHING for the kids at all. It really bores them to tears cause there is no involvement with them. There is no interaction, comedy or anything and so they are not quite sure how to react to it.

Now if you take the same ball and all of a sudden you call it a freindly martian and he always beams up inside your little box. And you tell this story abiout this martian and how he is bashful (color change to red). And how he disappears when he is in the dark.

In other words, if you add more to it and change it around, you suddenly give the kids soemthing to grab ahold of and soemthing to have fun with. The kids love stories and love their imaginations. Why not use this to your own advantage.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Very true, Kyle. Baker's Yell Up embraces this theory to the upmost. The routine utilises the fun of having the kid's one-up on the magician but doesn't really have a sucker element.
We've had the 'sucker trick argument' before. Nowadays, I like to use a little of the sucker element as a carefully implemented tool but refrain from basing whole routines around it.

George
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
People too often overthink routines. The reason for this is that we can not stop thinking like a magician and think like a lay person. Our minds are tuned to what great move I can use and what prop would be cool. Instead we should ne thinking, what is the best routine I can come up with and how can I present this routine so that it is fun and most of all entertaining to the kids I am performing it to.

I also think to myself, how can I make the journey of the trick as much fun if not MORTE fun then the actual end result or effect. Over the years I have learned that kids enjoy the RIDE of the routine then they actually do the trick itself. This is a huge thing to realize cause it really has changed the way I work on or create routines now.

Also, remember that kids live in a magic world. Everything around them is magic. How the TV turns on is magical. We often forget this. Because of this we can conclude that kids also have a BIG imagination and love to use it if we as magicians encourage them to do so. So use this imagination in developing your routines.

It is not so much of a stretch for kids to associate that the sponge ball is not a sponge ball. The sponge ball can be anything from a martian that truns red cause he blushes alot... to a molecule in my science project that just does not want to stay on my project. I mean it really can be anything as long as I state that it is so. Kids will relate and use their imaginations and go along with the fun.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

tsolo
View Profile
New user
NYC
61 Posts

Profile of tsolo
Does anyone know where "Yell Up for Kids" can be purchased? The above link is no longer working.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It seems like it is not published any more. Someone might sell their book. Keep checking Magic Auction, Ebay and Amazon.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Hi,
Take a look also at kieth fields routine from his book if ever a wiz there was it has a lot of elements of the baker routine its very good phil
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I used to use wooden ones, then switch to fakini's.

These days I use simple bouncy balls of various sizes.

Going the English route..It is easier than you think /Mr. Buckinham said....(well maybe a bit)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Inviso
Since returning to magic I find the wooden balls hard to grip confidently. Is that just me and more practice time required or is there a better option. Harris, do these bouncy balls have the required gimmick?

Randy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Multiplying Billard balls for children (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL