The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Dress t-shirt with suit coat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
Do you think this is suitable for a magic show because my assistant really wants to have t-shirts with it

All opinions wanted
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
It look's very cool and fashion!
You bet!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I think it depends on you and your character. That look worked on Miami Vice.

Regan
Mister Mystery
silver
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of silver
I would never wear just a t-shirt for a magic show. I usually wear black pants and a red blouse! Anyway... since I'm a woman I couldn't wear a shirt with tie oder so. I dress more casually.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
You mean there's a DRESS t-shirt?

I always thought a t-shirt was the height of casualness!
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Stage magic (I'm assuming that since you have an assistant and you call what you're doing a "show", that you're doing a stage performance) is a funny thing. Often times it's not as casual and intimate as close up at the bar or at tables. If the tee shirt works with your persona you can pull it off, if not, you'll just look like a slob who couldn't be bothered to get dressed for your own show.

I wear tee shirts and Hawaiian shirts all the time, but that's a big part of who I am. That's also why I bartend and work other venues of that nature, and why I very seldom do stage magic Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I was thinking the same thing Peter.

Wear what fits your personality and the image to want to put across. Be yourself.
Daniel Faith
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Uh, folks, how many of you have watched any of the standup comics on Comedy Central? Even at the formal affairs, like the awards shows, you rarely see a comic in a tux. A crew necked shirt and blazer or sport coat is about as "dressy" as many of them get.

In my experience, whenever I have worn a tux, I have been mistaken for the manager or a member of the service staff, so I really avoid wearing them to paying gigs. The tux is cliche, at best, for a magician that does clubs other than the Magic Castle in my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary, obviously as I am primarily a close-up and cabaret kinda guy. But, to be honest, if you show up in a comedy club in a tux, be prepared to deal with a lot more heckling than you would get if you wore something else.

Our clothing should set us apart from the masses, of course, but that can be done in a variety of ways - odd shirts, ties, no tie, etc. Unless we are doing "ambush magic" at a corporate event or society function, dress to be slightly different, but always dress well. Good quality clothing, polished shoes, manicure, go in looking good and you will have an easier time.

I always ask what the dress code is for any event that I book and try to dress appropriately - if it is a formal affair, I might wear a tux, but I will NOT wear a white tux shirt, but will wear a colored one that will set me apart from the crowd IF the host(ess)allows it. Usually, I'm told to wear whatever I usually wear to such an event and I still will clear my wardrobe with the client as I will be strolling through the crowd (most likely) and do not want to be too out of synch with the guests.

But on stage, all bets are off. Unless the powers-that-be that are running the thing insist on a tux, go for something else. If nothing else, you will probably be more comfortable!

Just my rambling ideas...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Lee - good point. Most musicians wear very casual clothes too. I think, especially for a under 50 audience, anything too formal is going to make you look "stuffy." I think it depends on the act too. Stuffy/convervating can be good for dove or manip. acts. Escape acts wear mostly bondage gear, from what I've seen.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Aldo Columbini lectured wearing a ringer tee with a sports jacket. It looked fine to me, and it didn't hinder the magic any.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
To me you are an actor playing a part. If it fits the part you are playing, why not?

On stage I tend to wear formal (black tie or white tie) or flashy and colorful costumes that are cut like formal wear. Otherwise, most people see me away from home in a suit and tie. But at trade show boothes, you will often find me in a golf shirt under a blazer (even with the sponsor's logo on it). It just depends on who you want the audience to deal with. (I like the coat always for the pockets! Often I will work in a button down collar shirt but no tie. But I use the buttons too. It just depends on your magic and the audience served.)

As an old marketing professor, the key I would recommend that you remember is that you represent someone. Don't embarrass them.

Enjoy your magic!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I often dress with a thick ribbed T-shirt, under a sportcoat, for gigs where the dress is casual. I avoid overdressing for gigs because it alienates the audience, somewhat. You should always strive to be one of the best dressed people in the room, if you're not wearing a costume.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
You're spot on Magishn46. It's a smart modern look.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Quote:
Escape acts wear mostly bondage gear, from what I've seen.

Do we? I suppose there's the chains and straightjackets, though these are more props than costume, the EA's I know tend to dress in either practical stunt attire (jumpsuits, wetsuits, trunks/tights etc) or regular or character specific stage attire (in my case, nice dresses). Harry Houdini famously did his jail escapes wearing nothing at all, forcing photographers to airbrush trunks onto his naked pictures in order to make them suitable for publication. Smart jackets are a bit impractical for physical stunts, but Paul Daniels used to do his escape routines in a dinner jacket.

All the bondage gear in my act is worn by my assistant, Helle Augen. He's mute, 6'4, masked, wears black leather, carries all my props and is fun for me to play off of. I on the other hand have to pride myself on 'wearing' my bonds on a temporary basis only; the character of the escape artist is someone who is in control even when bound, not a submissive fetishist.
night
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of night
I do a lot of comedy club/night clubs and I do a nice t-shirtwith a jacket and jeans. It works for me, but I also feel-act the part to make that work. I will also wear a bright jacket with a t and it plays and I'm a BIG guy over 6'3"...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The strangest costume I remember was from a close-up worker in the Midwest that wore French cuffed shirts with no cuff links. He folded the cuffs over his coat sleeve to show he did not use his coat sleeve. (He used the cuff!)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
zippy
View Profile
New user
PA
54 Posts

Profile of zippy
I wear a nice t-shirt with a casual suit coat. I like to take it off when I do any tt which has the audiance wondering where it went since I have no sleeves to put it up.
Zippy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Dress t-shirt with suit coat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL