The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie's Disease (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of 30210162
I have six card tricks down my belt, and I don't even own a 'proper' deck (e.g. Bee, Tally Ho, Bike).

I wear a loop around my wrist everywhere I go.

I've got two DVD's from Penguin.

But you know what? I want more. Yesterday, I bought Outsmokin (by Ron Jaxon).

I had buyer's remorse.

Don't get me wrong. The trick is great. But I think I'm starting to show signs of a compulsive magic buyer.

Please tell me there is some remedy for this. My friend, who re-introduced me to magic, is even worst.

For now, I will not buy anymore tricks/gimmicks. I will save up for a couple of Bikes, Tally Ho's etc. No more gimmicks (at least until I get a REAL job).

I hope I last. I think I better cut off my credit card.

Please advise.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Ah yes! The temptation to buy.
What type of magic do you want to focus on?
From what you've stated I'll guess impromptu and closeup. If it's parlor, stage, bizarre magic, etc. Focus on related books and effects.

I suggest you read the topic:
-New to magic? » » Magic books & Videos for beginners.-
and the other posts there. The classic books mentioned are a great value and will give you more information than videos.

For now, practice with the stuff you have.
There are lots of effects than only require common items and some sleight of hand. Some other tricks can be made with a few dollars.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
Get yourself a couple of books
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
302 (etc.) writes: "For now, I will not buy anymore tricks/gimmicks. I will save up for a couple of Bikes, Tally Ho's etc. No more gimmicks (at least until I get a REAL job)."

Or until something fascinating catches your attention!

I've been in the business for more than half a century and, just the other night, picked up a couple more things at a club dealer demo.

It's a chronic disease -- but don't worry: It isn't fatal! <G>
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I'm still alive and so are my friends in magic, I totally agree with you Peter. My good fried the Great Zialci is 86 , still has the diseace and still healthy as a cow.

Peace'

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
There is no remedy because we are always looking for something better.
As you know, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Sometimes the add desriptions purposefully omit important things and we buy because the effect sounds better than it really is.
For example, in one trick it states they think of any card...yeah sure only after they have thought of a number and dealt to it.
If you buy a trick and do not like it, sell it on Ebay.
Just remember, all you probably need to know is 6 to 10 great tricks that you can make flow together for an act. The smaller the amount of deck switches the better Smile
Many believe books are the way to go. Other believe video. You can easilty spend 20$ on one gaffed deck or buy 5 to 10 books/pamphlets.
In the end, the choice is yours.
Magic regards,
Jeff
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I think many of us start out with the predisposition for this disease. If it wasn't magic, it would be something else; comic books, model trains, etc. But I think magic has a little extra ingredient that makes it even more addictive. We're not just collection tricks, we're collecting "secrets".

Soemtimes, when the secret isn't so hot, our high crashes.

I've got a wooden chest full of stuff I'll never use or shouldn't have bought in the first place. But we hear these glowing descriptions about how amazing this little thing is and the next thing we know we're thinking, "Well... $25.95 ain't so bad."

So, I had to learn that blowing 25 clams on some poorly made gimmick will never compare to the 8 bucks I spent on Royal Road. Then I have many rainy weekends to look forward to with a book like this and a simple deck of cards.

But this is a lesson we must all learn for ourselves.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Mr Pies
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Mr Pies
Constantly being tempted to buy the newest product / book or DVD is hard enough to resist for all of us but sooner or later you will have to actually learn this stuff. Magic shelves (mine included) are creaking under the weight of 'must buys' and not one of my books has been thoroughly read cover to cover, lots of skimming and cherry picking but not properly read and appreciated. Buy, buy, buy by all means but learn and more importantly perform these things before falling for the next 'killer' routine.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
Surrender. While you still have a chance.

Buy books. Buy books. Buy books. And study them. Learn each piece to perfection, then go on to something else. Money and time well spent.

And it's not really a disease...unless...you start breaking out in purple and green spots...
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2004-11-27 10:30, Peter Marucci wrote:

It's a chronic disease -- but don't worry: It isn't fatal! <G>

I don't know Peter....my wife has nearly killed me several times over my magical purchases....uh, I mean investments.

:lol:

Regan
Mister Mystery
ShidennOdmistL
View Profile
Regular user
Vegas
109 Posts

Profile of ShidennOdmistL
Quote:
On 2004-11-27 22:01, Mister Mystery wrote:

I don't know Peter....my wife has nearly killed me several times over my magical purchases....uh, I mean investments.

:lol:

Regan

Emphasize on investments. I don't tell anyone of my "investments."

Sol
Sol Hiden N D Mist...
Never look back....
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
I think much of this comes when you are uncertain of what kind of magic you want to perform. Perhaps a better investment would be to discover who you are and what you envision for your magic. Once you know what you really want your art to be, you can be much more discriminating.

Not that it's any cheaper! But at least you feel on target instead of torn between a million things.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Edmund_Fitzgerald
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Edmund_Fitzgerald
Books are the best value and the best way to gain skills. Sure, it takes a lot longer than the latest hot gimmick, but magic takes a lot of effort and practice.
---Magic: Its priceless. Its inside you. ---
k
View Profile
Loyal user
Marseille
282 Posts

Profile of k
>BOOKS !!!

Gets you hundreds of tricks at hands
plus they smell great and you can take them to the king's corner!!!
I'm just a blind Con that lost his I...
remember, Magic's everywhere... ("Your are the magic !" - Albert Goshman)

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple. On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux" St-Exupéry
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
I am in a bit of a glass house, but can still offer you this slightly paraphrased advice: It is better to do a few tricks really well than many of them poorly.

Cheers,

Tiki
Katmando
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Katmando
Oh yes the magic bug. I know the feeling I have more videos and books to keep me busy for months non-stop.

I have keep telling myself to slow down a just master a few. Atleast at first Smile

Later <><
HypnoticQueen
View Profile
New user
Quebec
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoticQueen
Better get yourself couple of books.Some good ones would be
Card College Series
Royal Road To card Magic
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Wow, I must confess I have self-diagnosed myself with this bug as well.

The usual big purchases are books. I have convinced myself that the Card College series and AoA are a good purchase. As for media, those Dai Vernon videos are so tempting, but so much $$$ if you add things up. That's why I only purchased 1-4... for now... always wanted to see more of Lennart Green too. I'm not a fan of packets unless it's amaaaaazing... only because I'm cheap and I always want the best "bang for the buck". It'll take forever to go through these books anyhow.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
I'm also guilty. I forget that I'm just buying the book....not the time needed to read it. I've stopped buying until I can catch up learn and absorb what I have.
When you factor in the time you spend reading books, practicing sleights and setting up effects, it becomes obsessive.
It has gotten to the point where my wife will see me gluing cotten balls to a peanut ( I don't have a trick using that. Just an example ) and think nothing of it.
I get a huge high freaking people out with tricks...or maybe it's the glue.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
So many new people to magic are seeking the "one trick that will make me a pro."

Sorry, but there is no such thing. There is, however, something that will help you become a pro and that something is knowledge. Knowledge is found in books, videos, individual tricks, at lectures and can be learned at magic clubs (to an extent).

Learn the basics - cups and balls, basic card handling, stage movement, elocution, enunciation, pronunciation and business acumen. Learn the basics of how illusions work, the fundamental mechanics of the classic tricks (cap and pence, endless chain, Triumph, Spellbound, coins across, swami gimmick, black art, misdirection and the like).

One learns those from books, videos, lectures and other magicians.

Go see every magician you can, see what works then, change it to fit your personality. That's the toughest part.

So, sure! Buy stuff. But books are your best bet. More tricks and ideas per pound than any single trick. Get the basics - Tarbell, Giobbi, Rice, Thompson (My Best is a classic!) and work from there. Just those books contain a lifetime of learning for any magician.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie's Disease (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL