The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie's Disease (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
I agree with Lee.

And Lambertmoon has the right idea. Don't buy any more books until you have read and learned from what you already have.

There will always be tricks and books you would like, but there will always be miracles in and amongst the books you already have that you skipped over in the rush to the next book or in the tricks you never spent enough time on.

Paul.
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
355 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Quote:
On 2004-11-28 04:06, Clifford the Red wrote:
I think much of this comes when you are uncertain of what kind of magic you want to perform. Perhaps a better investment would be to discover who you are and what you envision for your magic.

I think this may be the key. Lots of magic looks cool. Presumably we're all magic enthusaists here, so we can equally enjoy a comedy magic performance and a hardcore mentalist act. But it's highly unlikely that any of us could pull off both.

As for how to figure out what works for each of us, I suspect there's no substitute for "just doing it." Sort of like learning the classic force. You've just got to do it a few times, and you figure out what works.

The advantage of things like Tarbell, Mark Wilson's course, or Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook is that they give you a lot of material to try, for a fairly modest cost.

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
[quote]On 2004-12-02 03:45, Lee Darrow wrote:
So many new people to magic are seeking the "one trick that will make me a pro."

I'm sorry, but I disagree. There are a good number of Newbies interested in reading. There are many who understand the importance of the history along with learning about the originators of the tricks and illusions.
I do believe a lot of people look for the "easy way out" by relying on gimmicks.

I have no intention of wanting to be a paid preformer. But having said that, I do respect the art and the artists.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Lambertoon, my comment was not meant as an attack on anyone and, I certainly did not mean to imply that you were one of those people. If it came across that way, I apologize.

I have either worked in or actually run magic shops for a good many of the last 30 years or so and I used to see this attitude every day - "Mom, can I get THAT? It'll make me a REAL magician!" it happened so many times that, at one shop, we had a running bet with each other about who could predict who would say that phrase (or a variation of it) next.

I am delighted to hear that you are focused on reading and learningand my suggestions on material come from both the heart and my experiences as a performer and as a magic shop guy. I hope the titles I suggested will be of help!

Sorry for the miscommunication on my part.

Hope this helps clear it up!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
No apology needed, Lee. In fact if I came off as too defensive, I apologize. I understand completely what you were trying to convey. That's why I had mentioned a lot of beginners relying solely on gimmicks.
I have a deep admiration and appreciation for the skill and dedication needed to call oneself a magician. The learning process never ends.
Thanks for the recommendations.
JediMindTrick
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of JediMindTrick
My newbie's disease affected my greatly as it was widespread and unfocused. I bought everything I thought was interesting. Didn't know where to begin, started with basic card and coin bibles that everybody speaks so highly of; manipulation videos a la McBride; stage effects with all things vanishing and many a wonderful floating object; things to be hidden under cups and in boxes; fire to be produced and balls to be replicated.

So much, in such a short span. It was quite the extreme overload, and I don't recommend anybody going that route unless they had a large pad of cash under their pillow and time to waste well. It was like broad brainstorming to find out what I liked.

In the end, I settled for being "a close up kinda guy" Smile
jdknight
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jdknight
Books and Videos/DVDs are the best. But... A few good props are well worth the money. Learning the difference between purchasing the latest gimmick and purchasing a new effect using a prop that can be re-utilized for many effects is the hard part. I now try to look for this "portability" of any new effects/props I purchase.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie's Disease (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL