The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » A Spectacular Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic74Josh
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
101 Posts

Profile of Magic74Josh
I know that the original users of this effect have nothing to do with magic, but rather movies, but I would like to add a similar effect to my show. The type of show I do is a theatrical magic show, with a building story throughout. At the end I need to simulate a giant "room filling" explosion, but simply couldn't figure out how I could "safely" pull this off.

Recently visiting, Orlando, Florida. I visited, Universal Studios, and in the Exterminator 4-D Experience, they used an ideal effect. In an explosion they used some type of fogger(s) that shoot fog just over our heads, and used lighting to color the smoke orange, red, yellow, etc.

My question is, what kind of fogger would you need to do this (By the way this continued for about 35-55 sec, of non-stop wall of smoke) IT WAS SPECTACULAR!!!
Magically Yours,
Magic74Josh
Magic7Josh@aol.com
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Magic74josh

I tried to help you out with the airburst but you never replied, said thanks or tell if the information helped out or how it went.

The terminator attraction uses a special effect that deals with Cryogenic Smoke/Fog system with Liquid Nitrogen that has an accualator with a booster that can project the effect evenly across the front of the theater. It is Very $Expensive$ and takes a hard (high pressure) pipe system that needs protection to the touch (-60%). Just the tank of Liquid Nitrogen will cost hundreds of dollars.

Only trainned personal should try to deal with Liquid Nitrogen.

That terminator theater gets the chairs refurished about every 6-8 months due to this effect ruining the chairs. It's an effect only movie studios can afford.

Zigmont

Very $Expensive$ = tens of thousands of dollars.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
It is possible to achieve an effect like this using pressured CO2. However, safety is always a concern.

Using a combination of lights and theatrical smoke puffs and some added effects could very well work. We have used a combination of different effects to achieve a somewhat similar thing. Air cannos are good to use, but they do require an operator who is familiar with the system (they have a lot of power!). Lights, smoke puffs, maybe some flashes and CO2 operated confetti launchers could work when properly combined.
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » A Spectacular Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL