The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » One Golden Ring - A Christmas Story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
I've been busy, recently, trying to give a Christmas feel to the 'Haunted Chester' show, which SalsaDancer and I will be performing at Stanley Palace this coming month - bookings now being taken Smile. Plug over, you're very welcome to use the following story, which popped up during the research, but is surplus to our requirements:

'One Golden Ring'

Tom Smith invented the Christmas Cracker in 1847, and within a decade, he had developed a thriving and global business selling these novelty items, thus indirectly saving the careers of Bad Joke Writers everywhere.

By the turn of the twentieth century, the Tom Smith Company was producing crackers for every occasion, not just Christmas - from the Paris Exhibition in 1900, to the end of the Great War in 1918. And by the 1920's, the company was even offering a bespoke cracker service. For ten shillings, the good people at 'Tom Smith' would make a cracker to your exact specifications.

Now, in 1927, one gentleman wrote seeking to avail himself of this luxury service, and with his letter, he enclosed an expensive diamond engagement ring and, of course, the requisite ten shilling note. (It seems that he was planning to 'pop the question' with a little cracker-pop of his own.)

Unfortunately, however, this gentleman disastrously forgot to include his name and/or address with his letter. And, for whatever reason, he did not contact the company again.

And so his ring and his letter and his ten-shilling note are still there, in the company safe, and diamonds meant for his beloved are now forlornly gathering dust.

(Obviously, this could form the basis for a seasonal and romantic 'Ring Flight' presentation - 'The Iceman Cometh' from Luke Jermay's 'Building Blocks', for instance. But any other ideas would be gratefully received.)

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Hmm, Interesting.
.....perhaps, after all these years, a young woman, (whose mother "knew her father" but an unfortunate incident prevented their marriage) manages to purchase the safe, and it's contents at an estate or other auction /sale of some sort, lo and behold (you did not say if the ring was engraved, with initials or not) It turns out to be from her "father" . Quick thoughts on this, and my weak knowledge of world/European/English history for the time in use is not any help to determine an event that would have been disastrous to the gentlman in question, so you will have to provide that bit of information!
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Kay,

I like that very much. Maybe the woman still doesn't know who her father is when she handles the ring, but she recognises it somehow, and therefore realises that it must have belonged to her father, whoever he was?

This reminds me of a story that made the news a year or so ago about a delayed-delivery letter. It had been posted in 1919, in France, by a British soldier kept over to 'win the peace' after WW1. Unable to get a letter back home to his sweetheart - the postal service across the Channel was overrun - he put his love-letter into a bottle, and hurled it northwards into the sea.

Unfortunately, his bottle got stuck in a sandbank, and it never reached its destination. And, sadly, the luckless soldier died in France, later that year, a victim of the terrible 'Flu epidemic that swept Europe and the world.

Yet remarkably, eighty years later, a dredger was working in the Channel, clearing mud, when it turned up the soldier's bottle: the bottle's seal was good, and the soldier's letter was still pristine inside.

The Royal Mail diligently traced the sweetheart's family to New Zealand, and, wonderfully, it turned out that the sweetheart, herself, was still alive - now, of course, an old lady, aged nearly a hundred.

Now, it's not my place to intrude on how she must have felt when she finally received this letter, a letter from her first love posted more than eighty years ago, so I'll shut up and leave it at that.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Caleb,
Your absence of late has left this forum much diminished--nice to see you back! (How I wish I could make it to Chester across the deep, blue sea...)
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Avrakdavra,

Many thanks for your kind words - it's nice to be back.
-- QCiC --
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » One Golden Ring - A Christmas Story (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL