We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Power of Cold Reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Count_underwhere
View Profile
New user
South Africa
8 Posts

Profile of Count_underwhere
I've been in magic for a while but I have done absoultly no mentalism and I really want to get into it, if only to increase my knowledge.

I have read a number of threads about mentalism and Cold reading and muscle reading keeps comings up, I sort of understand what both are but could somebody please give me a bit of a description.

I'm also really interested in how powerful cold reading is and which material is recommend for an absolute beginner in this art.

Many thanks.

Count Underwhere
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Cold reading...you meet someone for the first time and you can relay to them details of their past present and future which you could not possibly know.

I think that's a definition? maybe someone more experienced can expand...? help!

K
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Dear Mr. Kennedy,

Very well said.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of ddyment
An annotated list of cold reading resources is available at The Deceptionary. It includes opinions about the "must have" references.

... Doug
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Doug --

Great resource!!!!

Thanks so much -

Jonathan
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
Jeckyll the pitchman doctor
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Jeckyll the pitchman doctor
Doug's list is a most comprehensive one and he should be thanked for taking the time to compile it. It is very useful information for someone who wants to study the art.

I have been doing psychic readings since 1987. I have done literally thousands of them. There are thousands of my tapes in people's hands. I know a lot about this stuff.

I must say that there is one MAJOR omission on Doug's list. I shall let him use his psychic powers to identify it. It really is the BEST and most important source of information in the psychic industry and it really is quite amazing that nobody here seems to know about it.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Doug's "Cold Front" is an excellent tool for learning and using palm reading, based on Richartd Webster's work on the subject. Highly recommended.

John
bluefred
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bluefred
Let me see jeckill the pitchman doctor is mark lewis?

well the doug list is very informative and the cold front is a useful tool for palm readers using the richard webster system but you can use the cf for itself. a complete begginer the cd's of richard webster or quick and effective cold readings from the same author is a good start if you can get any material of herb dewey too,the oort magazine has a lot of good advice.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Mark wrote:
Quote:
I must say that there is one MAJOR omission on Doug's list. I shall let him use his psychic powers to identify it. It really is the BEST and most important source of information in the psychic industry and it really is quite amazing that nobody here seems to know about it.

I'm aware that Mark is supposed to have a (video?) course that deals with cold reading. Unfortunately, I have not seen it, have no citation information for it, and don't have access to an unbiased source of information about its contents.

So until I know more, I'm loath to include it, though it may well be excellent. I can recommend his Svengali pitch, though.

... Doug
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
educated
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of educated
I am Mark Lewis and I have many names which you will see from time to time when I cause mischief when I get bored. However under the name "educated" I promise you will only see serious posts.

This is the only name where I will post useful information. Anywhere else you had better have a thick skin or a sense of humour. Since Mr Brooks wants the benefit of my great wisdom without the benefit of my great wit I shall see what I can do for him under this name only.

I can assure Doug that my course is the BEST source on this stuff simply because it is so comprehensive. It consists of 4 video cassettes and a whole bunch of other stuff. The other stuff can be ignored because frankly most of it is just extra fluff and bonuses for marketing purposes. That however is nothing to do with me. The four tapes are a one hour video tape on Chinese Numerology, a one hour tape on palmistry, a 90 minute tape on the Tarot, and finally a 60 minute tape on the business side of things.

Many of the people on Dougs list have never done readings for a full time living. I have. I know what I am about. It is the REAL work.

I derive no revenue from it. I just want to put the fact of my material on record. Other people who have used it will no doubt tell you of it's validity.

Or how about this: Martin Breese of England has produced quite a bit of Richard Webster material. He is therefore a respectable and reputable magic dealer. You may not realise it but in 1991 he also produced one of the greatest audiotapes on cold reading by one of the greatest psychic readers in the world. Namely me. If you buy the tape from Martin you will be making him rich, not me. I just want you to know about it.

Anybody with an ounce of intelligence who has read my postings on this subject on various boards will realise that they are getting the real deal with me. I know this stuff inside out. I have done thousands of readings in 3 different countries. In Ireland I was a household name as a psychic with masses and masses of press, TV and radio coverage.

I have told everyone my exact methods on these audio and videotapes. I make no profit from them.

You really need to check them out and find out how good they are. Then you need to put them on your list. It is historic material from a professional psychic. You will have a glaring hole in your list if you do not include it.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Quote:
Unfortunately, I...don't have access to an unbiased source of information about its contents.

Unfortunately, after reading the above, you still don't...
educated
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of educated
OK. Well then you will simply have to wait. No doubt the responses will be forthcoming.

However I cannot believe that Doug has read or has had a recommendation for every single book on his list.

In fact I have even seen some of the selections criticised.

I counted the number of professional psychic readers on the list. It came to about nine. A tiny fraction of the total number of tapes and books listed. In other words a tiny fraction of the authors and presenters have ever done readings to any serious extent.

Still, I am certainly biased. I suspect I am not the only one. I sense bias against as well as for. Perhaps we had better wait until someone says something about it.

However Doug is not without sources or "citation information" since the course has been reviewed in Magic Magazine in a reasonably positive way. It has also been mentioned extensively in the book about mindreaders (the title escapes me) by William Raushcher.

Furthermore it has been reviewed on a cold reading group. I shall try to find the review.

I rather think that this is sufficient information to be included on the list. Don't you?

Still we will wait for the responses of people who have actually spent money on the material.
Count_underwhere
View Profile
New user
South Africa
8 Posts

Profile of Count_underwhere
Thanks for the replies all.

I havent had a chance to read the 'doug list' yet but ill get to it.

whats the diffrence between cold reading and muscle reading? and the other part of my question is how strong is cold reading?
educated
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of educated
Muscle reading is the art of locating hidden objects by the specatator holding on to the mentalist who finds them by use of what is known as the ideomotor response.
This can be expanded by the spectator thinking of things that he would like the mentalist to do and he follows the instructions of the spectator.
It is often known as contact mindreading.

There is a more advanced variation known as non contact mindreading where there is no physical contact whatsoever between the two parties.

The greatest exponents of this work come from Russia. In fact the greatest exponent of all time was Wolf Messing who lived in the old Soviet Union who was considered a "meritorius artist" which was a great honour for performers.

I never see his name mentioned by Western Mentalists which is surprising because he was truly one of the greatest mentalists of all time.

However all this has nothing to do with cold reading which is an art in itself. I believe it is the most advanced form of mentalism. It is usually done in a psychic reading situation although it is sometimes used in other situations. A good example would be in Anneman's Pseudo Psychometry routine.

TV mediums do it all the time often rather badly because of the time restrictions and pressure of TV.

However it should be noted that it is perfectly possible in a reading to use real psychic ability and eschew the fakery if even for a short while. I do this all the time. This is especially applicable to the Tarot cards where I shut down all the fakery and do it for real. In case the sceptics throw up when I say "real psychic ability" perhaps it may be more palatable if I substitute the words "real intuition"

Here is a post I made recently on another group edited slightly. It would behoove the sceptics among you to read it carefully.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In fact this is what makes the tarot real and devoid of fakery. A spread of cards can be interpreted many, many different ways. However you interpret it to fit the client. This comes from a subconcious picking up of the client's hopes, dreams and likely outcomes. It goes on at a subconsious level if you are trying to do it for real and a concious level if you are faking it with cold reading. I recommend the subconcious level. You can do all the faking early on. Once the reading gets going you hardly need it.

In fact if you cold read it will shut down the "psychic" and intuitive part of your mind. It is very awkward to do both.

You can have an identical spread for Mother Theresa as you can for Adolf Hitler yet you can interpret them differently. I explained this in my course. I don't believe in Jung's theory of sychronicity and I do believe the cards just come up at random. However it is how you interpret them that matters. And you interpret them according to the client. Woudhuysen explains the "psychic mirror" concept in his book. Too involved for me to explain here.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Mark wrote:
Quote:
... I cannot believe that Doug has read or has had a recommendation for every single book on his list.

Believe what you will; I own and have read all but (as I recall) four of these, and I have reliable references for the other items.

... Doug
educated
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of educated
It's OK. I do believe you.
I have also read most of them.
Not in my league I am afraid.

Some of the books are great but my course covers more ground.

And I am a pro. Most of the others aren't and in fact many of them have never done a paid reading in their life. I have done many thousands.

I marvel constantly at my own genius and wonder why God made me so gifted.
deverett
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of deverett
Mark,

Why don't you send Doug a set of tapes for him to review?

Dave Everett
educated
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of educated
Can't do that I am afraid. They are not mine to give away. I make no revenue whatever from them so I don't care that much.

I am only promoting them for the sake of my wondrous ego.

OK. How about this? I dug up a review by Eric Haddix.

Quote:
Upon hearing Mark Lewis say that it'd take 6 months to digest all of
what was on his tapes, I was a little skeptical but I didn't dismiss it
immediately as the time I've known him, he's been very informative about
many things in this field. I'm glad I didn't ignore his advice since it
took about 6 months to take everything in and another couple months to
be able to put all of it together into a review that I could write.

Mark begins his course with a very good primer on numerology, then
palmistry and then followed by the tarot. The video on numerology is the
Chinese system of numerology and is excellent because it covers many of
the basics that other courses forget about: what the basic personality
types are and how they are used in a reading. This is considered the
quickest type of reading and only takes five to ten minutes to do but to
do these that quickly and with any degree of accuracy, you need to spend
some time learning the system and Mark elaborates on it quite well.

Next, the palmistry video teaches the very basics of reading palms. Mark
does a fine job of explaining how this system works as well as the
"other uses" of palmistry including its usefulness in information
gathering. This is probably the system you will want to study the most
because you have so much to gain by using it since palmistry is the most
"romantic" of the reading systems and will likely be the most requested
upon an initial meeting.

The final video tape of the teaching segment is on tarot readings. Mark
outdoes himself by teaching things that not only make the reading good,
but also simple for the average reader. He gives several tarot spreads
and describes all of their uses as well as describing the different
tarot decks available. This tape is full of hints that no other teacher
has dared to even say exist.

There are audio tapes included with the course that expound on the
ethics of the psychic reading business and there are other tapes
included as a bonus on generating publicity and other useful subjects.
And there are a few books on numerology, palmistry and other subjects of
interest to the open-eye psychic. There are also a couple bonus video
tapes that show the insides of a psychic fair and what the other
psychics do to make themselves different from the rest. This is a good
tapeset for generating your own ideas for a booth at a fair.

To sum it up, Mark Lewis(and his producer Rudy) have compiled some of
the best info you will ever find in one course and he has taken all the
guesswork out of learning this extensive field and made it available to
those who want to entertain with these skills.
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
Why don't you make any money from your own recordings?
Other than your own products, what book or disk would you recommend for palm reading?
educated
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of educated
I am a very spiritual person and care little about money. Besides the deal was that Rudy Van Langen the producer of the course would make me famous and I in turn would make him rich. Nobody bought the course so I got the best part of the deal.

If people e-mail me privately I shall tell you how to contact Rudy.

As for the second part of your question I shall answer thus. RICHARD WEBSTER.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Power of Cold Reading (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL