The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sleight of Hand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
What slieght can be used to vanish other objects, besides coins? Sponge balls, piece of paper...
Im tired do a retention from vision type of vanish but fail 50% of the time. Whats the most deseptive slieght?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Small objects? A complete vanish where both hands end empty? Or just a False Transfer which begins a vanishing sequence?

For me a Retention Vanish works fine in most cases.

A simple false transfer:
The item to be vanished is in your palm up left hand either ready for Finger Palm, in Classic Palm, or a Front Finger Clip, etc.
Right hand is palm up.
Left hand moves to the right hand palm (your eyes following LH), turns palm down pretending to dump the item.
R.H. closes as if taking the item.
L.H. (still holding the item) totally relaxes as the R.H. moves off to the right and appears to be holding the item(your eyes now following RH).
Wait a a few seconds (time misdirection?), make a magic gesture such as slowly rubbing your RH fingers.
Poof!

If you want a complete vanish, you might try lapping, secretly ditching the item in an accessable pocket or openly reach into your pocket for a small wand, woofle dust, etc; and lose the vanished item.
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
I tried this false transfer with a crumpeled up note. I get it ready for a finger palm and do the transfer but it does not work on people. I think it because of my left hand fingers that are to curled? or is it misderection ?
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Get the peice of paper and through it in to your other hand (the one that you wuld vanih from), do this a couple of times . now try to replicate the same actions but this time finger palm (or classic, whatever you prefer)the paper. try to get the to actuons the same as eachother.
hope this helps

ollie
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
I try practice in front of a mirror for a couple of days and see what happerns .
thanx for the advice.

Do you use the finger palm with a false transfer? how long did it take to master?
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Practice in front of a mirror.Also turn slightly to the side to which you are transferring the object.I have also found that after the 'transfer is done,I turn over the hand which is supposed to hold the object.Point to that hand,with the hand that is finger palming.
Remember that this should be done in context of a trick or routine,and not as a trick in itself(ie. don't do the vanish by itself).
Andre
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Another little tip, for different sized and shaped objects, its sometimes better to adjust the position of your fingerpalm. eg. for vanishing a screwed you napkin, I prefer a low position in my hand, letting my little finger do most of the work.

ollie
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
I find if I hold the object with my thumb as I turn my hand over allows me to keep my fingers straight. This also helps give the impression that the object has been transferred. Keep your eyes on the hand that is supposed to have the object and the audience will dismiss the "dirty" hand because it looks wide open.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
Sometimes what works for me is simply conditioning your audience before you go and do the vanish -- I really do put it in the left hand and talk a little and then take it again in the right to show it was actually in the left, then *this* time you vanish it or whatever you are going to do, sometimes you might even do it a third time -- you just have to read the moment, the specs, and just go with it.

If you watch Mickey Silver 'show' the coin in his empty hand you know what I mean, Greg Wilson also does some pretty bold stuff which reminds me of this conditioning technique (though not exactly) I would recommend watching his performances in his 'On the Spot' tape.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Whitewolfny
do you just hold it with your thumb with that hand palm down ? or do you thumb palm it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sleight of Hand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL