The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope Magnets (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brenton Keith
View Profile
New user
Maui, Hawaii
31 Posts

Profile of Brenton Keith
I have found the best magnets to use for rope (i.e. rope thru body) are the neo-dimium kind, but I am having a tough time getting them into the rope and looking good. Any suggestions on which adhesive to use to get the magnets in the rope? Crazy glue gets too hot and sticks before I can get the magnet all the way in. Gorilla glue works well but turns yellow after a week. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
It will turn yellow. I heard a very reliable source say that "white-out" will work well when applied over the yellow part.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Interestingly enough, I received some white-out included with a rope trick from Pavel. It does the job. So I second Jim on its use. If you do a search on glue you may be able to find some other suggestions for strong glues other than gorilla glue --- I just can't seem to remember the other suggestions.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Try Testor's airplane cement. Clear, medium fast dry and strong. I used Elmer's white glue some time ago and I think it was fine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
WalterZ
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of WalterZ
Super glue is the way to go. Add a drop onto somthing, (this will be tossed alter) and tap a pen to the magnet. THe magnet will stick to the pen. Then, roll the magnet around in the glue, not getting any on the pen. Insert the magnet into the cored rope and wait. Wait about 3 minutes, and only then remove the pen. THe pen will easily release the magnet beacuse the super glue is much stronger. This has always worked for me. It doesn't turn yellow, and never comes out either.
~WalterZ~

Themystifier.com
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
582 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I haven't tried it, but epoxy comes to mind as something that might work.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
tache magic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of tache magic
I have its great.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Brenton:

Pavel shows how to apply magnets on one of his "Creative Magic of Pavel" DVDs from L&L Publishing. He goes over it very quickly - he takes an all-purpose gel type glue and squirts in in the end of the rope. He then rolls the rope between his palms to even everything out. He then trims the end of the rope to make it nice and neat. I believe the glue is allowed to dry a bit, so that it's still pliable, but not goopy. Once this is done, he takes the magnet and puts in the end of the rope (into the glue gel) and then takes it back out. The gel keeps the form of the indentation - kind of like a nest.

Everything is allowed to dry completely. The magnet is then super-glued into the hard nest. I've tried this and it works, but don't expect it to perfect like when Pavel does it.
If you want your rope to be pristine perfect, I would have him do it. I've had him make custom rope for me, and he's reasonable, considering he is a true master at this.

Ron
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Personally, the topic as discussed so far is too broad. I use different techniques for different ropes. For example, for nylon rope where I don't remove the core, then I harden the ends with superglue, slice them so that they match perfectly using a Dremel. Then, I drill out a hole in each rope with a drill (to the required depth), and then I pop in the magnet [held in place only with a tiny bit of PVA (Elmers white!) glue, not super glue]. If the ends are to be seen, then I will paint the ends with acrylic paint (white out is too thick). On the other hand, if I use cotton rope where the core has been removed, then I treat the ends with a weak solution of PVA glue (just to stiffen the ends and prevent them from fraying). Trim the end as before, and insert the magnet into the rope. Again, just a touch of white glue is used.

Obviously (to prevent a bulge), the magnet should be smaller in diameter than the inside of the rope. If there is a bit of a gap, I wrap cotton around the sides of the magnet so that it fits better. Also, the rope magnet should not be too long (using rare earth magnets that won't be a problem).
Harold Cataquet
imagique
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of imagique
I have made my own Delben/Tarbell screw type gimmicks, created new types of magnet and fastening gimmicks, and there are a few tips that might help with putting these things in.

I use clear E6000, from the Shoe Goo makers, I believe. For size, in regular magicians rope, I use 1/8" diameter dowels and shanks.

Regular white glue works well, too. The most important thing is to limit the amount that you touch the rope and glue before they dry. I allow the rope length that I'm filling to exceed the length by about a half inch, to be trimmed back. Then, I put glue into the vacated area that has had the core removed from it. Try to get the insert covered with the adhesive, and push it in. You may have to gently remove any liquid adhesive that seeps through the rope fabric, so use a white kleenex or paper towel to do this. Even if you end up using your fingers, resist the temptation to keep smoothing it out, over and over. This causes the rope to get dirty, regardless of how clean your hands are. Pull and twist the 'pigtail' of the excess half inch that you've left past the gimmick. This pulling and twisting should make you able to align the threads and fibers of the rope in a way that doesn't allow the gimmick to show through. Many times, especially with metal ones, this is a consideration.

I don't agree with the idea of 'rolling the rope' between the hands. Anything that you can do at this stage to keep the whole rope clean and uniform is a step in the right direction. I use the rare-earth magnets that Radio Shack sells. They require a short piece of dowel to help them line up in a linear fashion. They're just too small to mount otherwise.

I've never had very good luck working with the nylon rope from normal stores. The heat required to 'finish' the ends causes too much discoloration, and the regular fraying and unravelling are simply not worth it for me. If you have better luck with nylon, fine. I just don't have much luck with it. And trust me, I'm a cheap sob, and I would love to have an alternative to going to a magic shop. Most of my show is from Walmart, Garden Ridge Pottery, Crafts Etc, and Radio Shack. I hate the idea of being so dependent on the magic rope, but I am, it's my weekness.
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
I've used Loctite brand super glue and it doesn't seem to turn yellow. It hardens the ends of the ropes so if you are passing them out for examination someone might notice the hard end, but from a few feet away, it looks like a freash cut piece of rope with no frayed ends.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Profile of Magicjohnathon
Elmers glue! Drys clear.
"If at first you don't succeed! Than skydiving is definately not for you"!
Magically Johnathon Marshall
Silvernail
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Silvernail
Many good ideas here!
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
I use hot glue gun to insert magnets into ropes. Then using white glue to harden the ends and trim it flat. So far have no problems of it turning yellow, however through time , the ropes will get dirty . Then ill jus make a new set.....

Regards,
Jeremy
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Rope through body shall I go for the delbem / or magnets. advise please. also some thick white rope about 15mm thick.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I just had a chat with Pavel and he will make any combination of rope gaffs for you "custom" -- and his quality is the best.

Posted: Jul 30, 2007 6:32pm
Here's his contact info:

Pavel-MAGIC
P.O.Box 1321
1211 Geneva 26
Switzerland

Phone & Fax 011 41 22 301 10 04
http://www.pavelmagic.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope Magnets (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL