The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Please guide me (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Bizarre or not bizarre?

I'm starting out with this bizarre magick. I'm not putting myself here in the pedastal. but I'm really confused to what I'm doing. please share you're thoughts and comments...

I was in a friend's party, he insisted me to show some magic to his friend. I'm not in the mood to do some magic so I started with a simple 21 card trick. then a woman ask if I could do some fortune telling. then boom came the idea. so I ask her to deal the cards in 3 piles with 7 cards each. the first cards in each piles were 8hearts, 6diamonds and ace of spade. I started with a simple cold reading. like hearts symbolizes love; I ask her isn't you're husband still alive? and she said no (there I have my chance). I said "doesn't she feels the spirit of her husband with us?" I told her that 6diamonds is somewhat badluck that she may have some trouble financially. and since before she was introduce to me as a government official I said that ace of spades means that she will still get higher positions. then I proceed with the 21 card trick asking her which magic word she want abracadabra or hocus pocus. luckly the chosen card is a jack of hearts so I said " see I told you that you're husband is somewhat guiding you."

after that I decided to do the ash trick or vodoo writings. so I said to her "aren't you still convinced that you're husband is here? I won't go with the details of this trick but unluckily I screwed up. the writings didn't showed up maybe I'm sweating too much because I'm a little bit nervous. still a little bit of acting helped and I just tell her that the card is six of diamonds. six of diamonds again so I told her that somewhat her husband is trying to tell here that she must be careful in money making decisions.

lucky or unlucky I had just carried on with the conversation acting like a real psychic but really fishing some information and revealing something for her. for example she said that her husband is a religious man so I asked her if she always read the bible. and she reply " that is what my husband used to do! she gasp, he always reads the bible and ask me to join him but I always refused." there you go the conversation go on and she actually believe I'm a real psychic. she asked for some advice and this is what I told her " always pray for your husband's soul before going to sleep and always read the bible as if imagining or feeling that he is with you."

she even ask me if I could contact the spirit of his husband because she badly missed her husband and wanted to talked to him.

this is the only first time that I did that and it just happens spontaneously. I don't have any books on cold reading or any exact knowledge about it. so here what I ask to you;

1. am I on the right track on being a bizzarist?
if not what should I do, if yes where can I learn more.
2. my conscience bothers me somehow.
3. what if the spirit of his husband got angry with me. but I just give her wife a good advice.
4. so many bizzarist deals with ghost, spirits, and mystic. even performing in a real haunted house. are they not afraid that somehow that they might be possessed.

my mother told me that I stop doing this bizarre thing I might be playing with peoples mind and what if the devils play with me. scaryyyyy!!!!

so please help me Smile
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Our conscious is our first and last judge and jury....there is no one recording your actions except you....also, youre not hurting anyone, if anything you increased her faith that her husband is alright/looking after her.
why not consider what youre doing working WITH the "spirits" instead of against them...its all in your perception...nothing to fear except fear...
maybe the info your receiving to give to her is a gift or whathaveyou...it is said that the "devil is the shadow of God.." and this is yet another reference to the fact that good/bad, day/night, god/devil, all these concepts of DUALITY, in all actuality, intermingle to form ONE complete WHOLE....the "yin/Yang" principle is what we are dealing with...perfect balance...
we should let go the ego, and just witness....with COMPASSION...as long as you have COMPASSION in your heart, then whom can you harm...?
I do cold readings all day, all the time...it brings people a sense of comfort, a comfort just as "real" or "illusionary" as any other comfort in the outer world...just show them that the real comfort comes from the mind, from WITHIN...tell them things that will direct them to look inwards...their habits, health desires...teach them that they should use moderation.. and MEDITATION etc...these among many others can actually give the spec. the extra boost they may have need to begin taking better care of them SELVES and others.
Magi have been called evil from long before the bible....its always this way for those who don't understand..and its true, a few bad apples along this LONG journey have made the rest of the Mystics look bad...for some used the art to gain more powers, control,money etc...the "magic" of the media is used today to hypnotize the masses to believe "this" or "that," or to desire countless worthless things....
You used your work to spark FAITH in her, and look you even suggested she read the scripture, a sure fire tool for introspection......
so worry not about GHOSTS GOBLINS SPIRITS whatever...just look at your own CONSCIOUS the tried and true JUDGE AND JURY....the world is your stage..dance your dance, just don't step on no ones toes...
may you sleep better now...may you meditate on the emptiness of it ALL. PM me if you wish to discourse further
love. Respect.
babakali Yogi
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sinnead,
As I point out in my current two bizarre magic lectures, "bizarre" doesn't have to mean ghostly, ghastly, or ghoulish.
It can be downright funny.
For some examples of that, check out my monthly Bizarre Bazaar column in the e-zine Visions (www.online-visions.com)
No password, no charge, just good magic from some very big names.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
I believe that Bizarre is different from speaking for the dead. Speaking for a person's relatives steals and corrupts a person's most precious possessions - their memories of their loved one.

It is one thing to present seance material, but quite another to thrust your ideas onto the memories of the vulnerable. It ceases to be entertainment. I feel that is unethical and just plain wrong.

Don't even get me started on John Edwards. Penn & Teller said it best on their TV show - BullSh*t.

So you asked for opinion, and mine is to not cross the line into messing with people's memories of their loved ones. As far as your other comments about being possessed, etc. Essentially this is all schtick, a good story well told. But don't tell them that Smile
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are going to do readings, do readings. If you are going to do magic, do magic. There can be some crossover, but don't pollute the readings with the magic or vice versa, unless you do something very short and up beat.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Do what you will...with compassion
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2004-11-29 14:08, Bill Palmer wrote:
If you are going to do readings, do readings. If you are going to do magic, do magic. There can be some crossover, but don't pollute the readings with the magic or vice versa, unless you do something very short and up beat.

Bill is dead on (as is typical of old wizards)... I have worked as both, a Reader and Magic performer for decades now. One of the most valuable lessons I've learned over the years is to not mix the two... most such demonstrations aren't only corny but insulting to both, the spectators participating and your craft.

Yes, there are some routines that lend themselves to the feel and experience of a Reading. I have a video in pre-production right now that addresses this concept and should be out next spring. I'm also featuring a portion of this in my lectures next year.

CB
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Thanks babakali I think I can sleep much better now Smile

peter I always visted your column in online vision and I love it. I'd had actually performed some of those. since most of your story is based on the western side I'm changing the story to adapt to our culture here.

hi clifford, it really bothers me cause in some way I feel it is unethical. so what would you recommend to focus on being a bizzarist?
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Think in terms of local legends and tales of wonder, and base your effects on those. You don't need to be super-serious about it or cause controversey, either. You can operate like a storyteller who illustrates each story with a mysterious wonder or two.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sinnead writes: ". . . since most of your story is based on the western side I'm changing the story to adapt to our culture here."

That's great!

That's the whole idea of what I do; being from the west, I can only base my work on western views; how refreshing it is to see a different view, though.

Hope you will publish some of your material.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-11-30 05:18, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
Think in terms of local legends and tales of wonder, and base your effects on those. You don't need to be super-serious about it or cause controversey, either. You can operate like a storyteller who illustrates each story with a mysterious wonder or two.

Steve

I agree to a point. You can be very serious about it if you wish. When it becomes personal and more like therapy then you're over the line in my opinion. Cold reading is fine, revealing ABOUT a person what they really already know and what you supposedly couldn't know. Giving "magickal" advice as a supernatural therapist can be very harmful.

Magic told with tales of wonder is a good place to go to. Look into the materials of Eugene Burger - he is a great teacher. http://www.magicbeard.com and there are so many other great teachers, many that are here! Look at Peter Marucci's and other articles at http://www.bizarremagick.com also http://www.dragonskull.co.uk has wonderful materials. Those should start to give you a feel about Bizarre.

May Cthulu guide your search and not devour you first at his rising Smile
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
That's pretty much what I meant, Clifford, general entertaining rather than readings; thanks for further clarifying.

I would also recommend Sinnead check out the Dragonskull site for some perspective and ideas:

http://www.dragonskull.co.uk/main_map.htm

Steve

Oops, just noticed Clifford already suggested Dragonskull!
That will teach me to read posts in their entirety!
:blush:
Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Thanks clifford I have check those sites before.
I'm confused with this character development or finding you're own performing persona. I'm still on the process of finding out.

like I have just said above I have done that coldreading out of the blue without exact knowledge about it but still have a knack to act like one. the woman was really convinced to what I've said.

it might be a talent or so. can I mix this up doing readings, storytelling at the same time magic. I'm just a beginner in bizarre magick. used to do card tricks but feel in love with this craft.

now I'm trying to be a storyteller. I like the story about folding cranes by dale heindlbrt?
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-12-01 00:12, sinnead zenun wrote:
I'm confused with this character development or finding you're own performing persona. I'm still on the process of finding out.

That takes time, you need to find out who you are and what plays best with who you are.

What are some favorite stories? Could you tell them with magical accompaniment?
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Sometimes I think we are all still finding our personna, it sort of depends on who I am performing for, as some folks will not sit for anything too serious, or "heavy" and I must lighten it up just a bit, or give it a littel tweak at the end. Others want nothing to do with silliniess or "happy endings to the story" and for those I provide what they ask for.
Wait, I know now...I am a Chameleon! changing who I appear to be as the background calls forth from the audience!

I would have to agree though, on the aspect of being very careful about mixing the magic and the readings. Do take a littel time and get some information for the cold readings, and what they would/or perhaps should not, consist of. The ethics issue will be your own, as only ethics can. It sounds like you essentially did a very carfeul and insightful job of dealing with this woman regarding her departed husband, now the only issue is do you wish to be known as a Psychic (not that that is always bad thing) it is just that if your culture still leans heavily to the superstitious, it could be a very tricky issue for your sake. Do take care in how you "use your powers" so that you are not harmed by your public!
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Please guide me (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL