The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Very Strong Magnets Source (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Merlin!
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Merlin!
Another computer-related source (in addition to old hard-drives) are old cd-rom drives, some of them (not all) that is, if you can find an old, out of date one (the older ones are actually the ones which have the magnet on them, and are extremely cheap), at a computer store, (be sure to check if it has a magnet on it by the following procedure).

Look on the bottom of the cd-rom, it also sometimes has a warning label on the top warning about the strong magnet mounted to the bottom, anyways, look at the bottom of the drive for a piece of metal which is a slightly different colour than the rest of the casing, check if it is actually a magnet with a paperclip, or something magnetic, if it sticks, you're in luck.

The manget is usually attached to the casing by two small screws. When these are unscrewed, you have an extremly thin, fairly large (about 1" x 3" x 1/32") magnet. This is the only place I know of that you can find a magnet this thin. It is useful for many things --use your imagination. For example, it can slide into places most other magnets cannot (please realize that all cd-roms do not have this magnet, don't stress out if you can't find it, just don't buy it)
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Unless you position the magnet a few inches from someone's wallet credit cards will not be erased. Well most credit cards anyway.

If you look at any credit card you may have the magnetic stripe will likely be either a very dark brown (almost black) or a light brown. The dark stripe indicates that the mag stripe is high-corsivity and has a tremendous tolerance to magnetic fields. Visa and MC regulations require that all CC's bearing their brand must be Hi-Co. Amex and Discover have also followed and use Hi-Co. Some cards (such as CitiBank Plat) use colored mag stripe but it's Hi-Co.

"Non-secure" cards, such as gas cards, store credit card, etc., use low-corsivity mag stripe and this could be a problem. Lo-Co can be erased rather easily!

Just be careful where you position yourself and you shouldn't ever have a problem.
William Holcomb
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Possibly more accessible and commonly salvageable than an old hard drive are the strong donut shaped magnets which sit at the apex of the cone of old audio speakers. How many obsolete HiFis gather dust in attics and garages?
ReaL2ReeL
View Profile
New user
Jackson, Ms
22 Posts

Profile of ReaL2ReeL
There is a "Restoration Hardware" store in the mall, here, and as I was checking out I noticed a pack of 6 really small, really strong magnets. They measure 1/4" diameter, and 1/8" thick. I grabbed a pack for the heck of it, I'll figure out something to do with them later, but as small as they are, and the strength they have, I couldn't resist. Just a thought.

Ed
Where words fail, music speaks.
"Honey, where's the AmEx?"
Webhead93
View Profile
New user
Florida
74 Posts

Profile of Webhead93
I got six .47"dia. x .11"thk. neodymium super magnets from Hobby Lobby for $2.99. They had some other sizes too. I don't know if you all have a Hobby Lobby where you live but it is a great place to find magic supplies. I also got some Krylon Low Odor Clear Matte Finsh while I was there to use as roughing spray.
A. Mark Wilson
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Another warning about powerful magnets: Don't get a quartz-controlled watch near one. The magnet can damage the little motor that runs the watch.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
Are the hard drive mags nearly as powerful as a neo b/c? I know that a speaker mag
is not.
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
The magnets out of a hard drive are very strong. I use 4 of these magnets to hold my magic table together. One easily holds about 50 sheets of notebook paper to the refrigerator. Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
I use an hardrive magnet hidden in my sleeve to stop watch and it works sometimes when I hold the watch 2 inches away from it.
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
You can get some on ebay that can lift several hundred pounds!
Robert Black
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Robert Black
Stopping a watch is a simple thing as the mechanism is light and delicate, the magnetic fields is large on a neo magnet. As an example my amp cabinet sits a little over 20" away from my TV set and you can still see the magnetic fields in the the extreme corners when you have a blue screen from a vcr on. Lifting power on magnets are useless as a gauge of distance strength. I have a micro 5 and it's very powerful, unfortunately not powerful enough for a killer routine I have worked out. I am still on a never-ending search for a magnet with twice to triple the power of a micro 5 in half the size, it seems that is what will be required for my routine to be work. It must from a 9" - 12" distance have a large enough field to reliably penetrate 1" - 1.25" of wood. In short it needs to be able to give heart attacks from across the room. The search continues.
"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity." -- Dr. Edwin. Land
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Robert, good look with your search!
If you found the right one - would you post it here please?
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I had the good fortune of getting several old hard drives to destroy and was able to stack several identical magnets together. I put it on a steel door frame and it very nearly supports my full weight.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
blade
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
208 Posts

Profile of blade
I have a magnet from a hard drive. Is it a neo? It's not not as strong as a neo. What am I going to do with it? Any suggestions?
salamangkero/musikero

boj_ice@yahoo.com
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Small ones the size of a button are available at Jo Anne Fabrics.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
ceeswing
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of ceeswing
Blade, The magnet from a hard drive is not a neo
but you can move objects with it.

Regards
Cornelius
France

For all the searchers of really strong magnets

BTW I have seen the new Micro 10 on e-bay
(its a double Micro pk5)
Be very carefull....

Regards

Cornelius
France
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Strong magnet in a ring is very for various moves. The hard drive ones are especially good and easily available,
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I have a strong magnet under the table in my dining room. When I think I might be doing magic there, I put my Riser/Loomis Micro chop cup under the table. I then do a one coin through the table move. (Just a false placement.) Hand with the coin palmed goes under the table, closed empty hand hits the table above the spot where the Chop Cup is. The hand under the table removes the Micro Chop and palms it, moving the coin to the fingertips. Hand is brought out into view, and the coin shown. I can now produce my Chop Cup any way I like to start my routine.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
ElliotLachman
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of ElliotLachman
This is the magnet for the M5, it has a pulling force of 110.5 lbs.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY0Y08
indigosteve
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of indigosteve
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2002, Amadeus_Magi wrote:
Hey I see you guys are talking about magnets....
I've encountered the site that sold Neodymium, the world's strongest magnet.
check it out at http://www.indigo.com/magnets/gphmgnts/r......ets.html
The magnets are supplied in various sizes and I think it's not too pricey
Hopes this helps

Thanks for the link but we sold this domain 3 years ago. We are still in business & you can find these at: https://www/indigoinstruments.com/magnets/rare_earth
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Very Strong Magnets Source (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL